Duct Tape Residue Removal from Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Passing along a tip..

I just bought a vehicle that the window was broken out and the previous owner duct taped the window opening. I would say he used a full couple of rolls of tape as it was everywhere on the door frame. At the auto glass installer they recommended i get a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a soft rag and it would come right off.

I bought the rubbing alcohol 91 percent and gave it a try... wasnt really phasing the glue residue so i let it soak then came back..still no joy.

I got online and one guy used ant and roach spray, another used bug spray, also olive oil.. i tried bug spray no joy.

I was about to give up and go in town to get some goof-off but wanted to give one more try with what I had.

I got my can of charcoal lighter fluid and a rag and gave it a dab. Instant joy.

I dont know if WD40 or kerosene would do the same..but charcoal lighter fluid removes the glue and residue like crazy and no real mess.

For residue that has been there a long time and really baked on this 3M wheel really does the trick. It also removes double sided tape and stripes from body panels without any solvents or scraping, it will not damage base/clear or acrylic enamel but is not for old cars with original lacquer paint.
I debadged a car in 20 min with this wheel, use low speed, a cordless drill is perfect. This wheel is pricey but don't cheap on these, they are a marvel but an el cheapo can ruin the paint, the 3M 03612 is the model best suited for cordless drills on automotive paint I have found so far. Do not use with any sort of solvent, it will just make a mess.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03612-Adhesive-Eraser-Wheel/dp/B005RNGN8I?th=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back