Which oil to get - change to High Mileage??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my 1.4TSI Cupra (infamous for drinking oil) has reached 100,000 miles and I am really considering changing to a 'High Mileage' classed oil and using 5w40.

I am the type of person that doesn't like to buy things straight of the shelf and like to dig further to see what is the best product out there but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

*For the record I am currently using Castrol EDGE with Titanium 5w30*

I have rounded it down to 4:
Valvoline MaxLife
Castrol Edge Professional Long Life III
Castrol Edge FST Long Life
Royal Purple High Mileage Synthetic

Royal Purple and Valvoline is mainly used in the US and I was wondering if without the appropriate EU approval it will be safe to use in my car.

The other thing that I find confusing is all the Edge/GTX variants... is it all just marketing or is there a real difference between them all?

Thanks in advance

My first question would be "how has the existing regimen worked". While we hear lots of "I tried X and liked it", its mostly nonsense. You only find out if things are good or bad after many, many miles (or when it survives extreme conditions).

High mileage oils are basically designed with two thoughts in mind:

1. manufacturers' warranty requirements no longer apply
2. older, worn motors may benefit from some formulation changes (thicker, additives to expand old seals...)

SO, which benefit are you looking for? If your motor has done well on what its using, and you are not experiencing issues, treat it like the healthy (young) motor it may be and stick with what you have.

If, on the other hand, you are seeing issues, tell us what they are first, and then maybe someone knows what would be the best lubricant considering that change/deterioration.

Just Me

In 1.4TSI you can easily switch to heavier 0/5W40. You do not need "High Mileage" oil since those oils ar not carrying VW 502.00 spec and have much higher NOACK and lower TBN retention then ACEA A3/B3 B4 oils.
I would just run castrol 0W40 in TSI.

I'd vote MaxLife 5W-40. I wish we had it in the States...

The PDS says:
Quote:
Suitable for use in applications where Volkswagen 50200/50500 or MB-229.3 are specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back