A tablet to bridge the gap...

JHZR2

Staff member
I have an iPad 3rd gen, from 2012. It is a retina display model, battery still lasts forever, screen is still beautiful, and its in great shape, but the computing power now is starting to get too slow for how I use it.

So Im looking for a tablet to bridge the gap. In general, Id prefer another iPad, but the mini 4 is old, the air 2 is older, the pro 12.9 is too big, and the pro 9.7, while maybe OK, is more of a tablet than I particularly need/want, since Ill spend my money on computers with real file systems... Tblets are just good because we travel a lot and they fill a gap when we don't want to carry a computer, and a phone is too small. I really want an iPad Air 3, but its release is somewhere between October and "never", and its not clear if/when such a mid range updated tablet will be available.

So really the only use for this will be multi-task web browsing and web-based email. Somewhere between 10-20 different browsing windows open and interchanging use as I go. This is precisely where the current iPad bogs down and gets stuck. Optimally I could run something like amazon prime music player or pandora in the background as well.

Because computing resources and OS efficiency will differ, I'm not sure I can compare processors and RAM, but the existing iPad has a dual core A5X computing system, clocked at 1GHz and offering 1GB of RAM, FWIW.

Since I have a high end 36MP full-frame DSLR, and an iPhone 6S, the camera on a tablet really doesn't matter to me at all.

What does matter is a half decent screen, something on par (don't need to go better, Im not watching 4K movies on this) with the retina display in my current tablet, which is a 2,048 × 1,536 px color IPS LCD display at 264 ppi.

Battery life doesn't much matter as I typically have a charger and don't use it for more than an hour or two at a time browsing.

I could buy an Apple refurbished iPad Air 2 for around $300. But it is old tech, and I'm more inclined to wait until the next generation comes out. I also hear that OLED variants will arrive in 2018, so I'm inclined to be patient until then. But I do need something before then.

The better Samsung and google tablets with specs on par with the Air 2 and iPad pro are at least as expensive as the iPad variants. Im not sure I need to have anything that advanced, I'm looking for a really good screen and snappy processing for multitasking on web browser pages, but that's about it... So, is there another "best value" option?

Recommendations???

Thanks!

Our iPad mini 2 would not be bothered the load you mention. I don't think you need much power so to speak to open all those web windows and email with music going.

Have you performed a wipe and fresh install on your iPad?

And then trying different browsers?

Just a thought before you research and upgrade.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

There's lots on my iPad that I don't want to wipe/get rid of (I've filled a 64GB iPad, bra, have 1.8GB free).

I'll buy a 128GB when the time comes. A cheapo android tablet with minimal memory is ok to fill the gap.

Archiving and then wiping and using it without any of the pics/videos/stuff has crossed my mind.

You didn't mention what browser is being used, nor if you have a plug-in like Ublock origin, adblock, etc. to prevent junk from running in the background while you have 10-20 web pages open at once. A different browser may be more efficient than the one being used.

I can see that 1G RAM is insufficient for your use. Looks like you're running out of memory with so many pages open + email.

49.gif

I'm running safari which is native to the iPad. No advblockers or other background junk.

Lack of response is primarily at the lock/unlock screen, it is intermittent when running apps.

I would try wiping it then using a browser you can load an adblocker on.

you wouldnt believe how much ads slow and use memory.. for example bitog brings my phone to a crawl with all the ads.. with ublock its fine.

your obvious problem is the 1gb ram with that much multitasking. And a processor that is slow.

Blocking ads will help both out.

this is a link to the a5x vs the a8x(ipad air 2).. seems like the a8x is around 8x faster?, maybe each core is around 6x faster? and 3 vs 2

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Apple-A8X-vs-Apple-A5X-(APL5498)

although I think they are on the A10X now?

Running the browser is NOT the issue. Its sluggish when doing other things, including lock/unlock.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

There's lots on my iPad that I don't want to wipe/get rid of (I've filled a 64GB iPad, bra, have 1.8GB free).

I'll buy a 128GB when the time comes. A cheapo android tablet with minimal memory is ok to fill the gap.

Archiving and then wiping and using it without any of the pics/videos/stuff has crossed my mind.

When you connect an Apple device to a PC and run iTunes, you should be able to back up everything ie your apps, preferences and media, wipe the device and reinstall the latest operating system fresh, and then have the apps freshly installed on top together with preferences and files.

This is the same as the advice you sometimes get to do a fresh install of a PC but with iTunes everything is handled automatically.

This should improve the performance somewhat.

You don't have to remove all the media files, but could easily archive the videos which may by far be taking up the most space. This again may improve performance.

And the other advice you're getting re browser and ad block are good as well. Probably will make a bigger difference than anything else.

I'm running safari which is native to the iPad. No advblockers or other background junk.

Actually, it's the other way around: ublocker cuts that background junk overloading your device. Also, learn how to back up and restore, it's easy.

I was really impressed by my Nexus 7 only after i bought an iPad 3 years later: the modern iPad is aesthetically pleasing, but the Nexus is still snappier and more functional for me. I am glad my wife like the iPad, so I am not impeded to use the Nexus 7 (2013)

IOS 9 turned my ipad 2 into a sluggish slab. I imagine it probably did the same to the ipad 3, since it was really just a display upgrade.

1. Backup
2. Wipe
3. Enjoy again.

Remember they are computers and need to be treated as such, just like smart phones.

What's nice about Android devices that there is nearly always a ROM mod due to the OSS nature. The old equipment can live as long as there is an interest in it.

Running the browser is NOT the issue. Its sluggish when doing other things, including lock/unlock.

So if you reboot it and let it sit there doing nothing to it.. an hour later the screen lock is sluggish?

Unless I'm missing something...It could be 2 things. Slow processor with newer OS and/or Memory full and its swapping out to the nearly full flash storage(which is slower than when empty)

If you leave it running with webpages open.. esp ones that arent adblocked they can bloat up the browser leaving you with no memory until it swaps some out to storage.

Whatever your problem is the troubleshooting steps are listed in this thread.. to see if its something you can patch up and continue on using your device or that your aging device is so outdated you need something better ... now.

Your device does have an very dated slow processor. aprox 10-12% as fast as an Ipad Air 2

Originally Posted By: Rand

So if you reboot it and let it sit there doing nothing to it.. an hour later the screen lock is sluggish?

Unless I'm missing something...It could be 2 things. Slow processor with newer OS and/or Memory full and its swapping out to the nearly full flash storage(which is slower than when empty)

If you leave it running with webpages open.. esp ones that arent adblocked they can bloat up the browser leaving you with no memory until it swaps some out to storage.

Whatever your problem is the troubleshooting steps are listed in this thread.. to see if its something you can patch up and continue on using your device or that your aging device is so outdated you need something better ... now.

Your device does have an very dated slow processor. aprox 10-12% as fast as an Ipad Air 2

Yes, exactly.

So, first... When I update the OS, I always do it via iTunes. This gives the benefit of effectively wiping and reinstalling the OS each time. it is NOT a delta upgrade when done over iTunes with the 1-2GB OS updates downloaded (vs. patches in the few hundred MB or less).

Precisely.

Exactly right. That is my opinion set as well. Ive nearly filled the memory, and Im OK with that. What I have on there is what I want on there. When I upgrade, Ill just buy a 128 or 256GB device and it will be fine for another 4+ years. I think you're spot on regarding a much slower processor and next to no free memory (though I did free up 1.8GB and it is working MUCH better - there was only 128MB(!) free before.

Since I don't know if/when the updates will come, really don't need a pro iPad, etc. Im hoping for something cheap. Alas, anything with specs near what my iPad has (granted with faster processors and more RAM) is more money than just buying a refurbished iPad Air 2 from Apple. The good droid iPads are NOT cheap... And the ones that are cheap appear pretty lousy...

Originally Posted By: Y_K

Actually, it's the other way around: ublocker cuts that background junk overloading your device. Also, learn how to back up and restore, it's easy.

I was really impressed by my Nexus 7 only after i bought an iPad 3 years later: the modern iPad is aesthetically pleasing, but the Nexus is still snappier and more functional for me. I am glad my wife like the iPad, so I am not impeded to use the Nexus 7 (2013)

So whats a good recommendation for iPad? Have any?

Looking at the Droid-based tablets, any one that is any good spec wise is at least as expensive as an iPad, and Im not as convinced on stability or security.

I think that Tab S2 in smaller size and 128 GB or even more memory is half in price of an analogous iPad. And it is not as restrictive/limiting. Depends on your ecosystem, of course. I am typing this on an old SUN box at the moment, I am quite indifferent. I am not advocating switching platforms, in fact, I got the iPad myself out of curiosity and to take away the Nexus from wife, but for me inability to get off and get on files in a simple straightforward way is quite annoying. I have to install the dreadful iTunes, create an account there, give them a credit card just to put a movie or music on for a trip. And something as simple as FLAC is not working straight out of the box [even Windows 10 does it now]. I had to download a bunch of pictures from her iPad, and it was a shaky experience on a non-Mac box. All the utilities they have for Windows are buggy and unstable. And going forward, Apple is not going to survive next crisis. Last time when they were salvaged by Microsoft is not going to be replayed by Alphabet.
If you want to stay with Apple, I think the smaller iPad Pro with max storage is a good choice.

A galaxy tab S2 32GB is $499. An iPad Air 2 32GB is $399, 128GB is $499.

Yes the S2 likely has better/newer specs and an AMOLED screen, which may or may not be useful.

If it's that slow just unlocking, and it improved when you freed up 1.8G, sounds like you are headed in the right direction: Time to off-load even more.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
If it's that slow just unlocking, and it improved when you freed up 1.8G, sounds like you are headed in the right direction: Time to off-load even more.
+1

Back