Truck / SUV tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Just to flip it on its head, here is one real world test:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/03/winter-tire-test-some-treads-are-better-than-others.html

Hint: The AS out accelerated the top rated AT tire, but performed worse in the braking test and was outperformed on the track.

You may have it in your head that an All Terrain tire has to be harder and therefore can't perform better than an AS. Reality is not that simple.

Good test. Of course it could happen to have good A/T that will outperform SOME AS tires.
However, I would like to see how they perform against Michelin premier LTX,Michelin M+S, Continental DWS, Pirelli Scorpion Verde. I would not say that Firestone or BF goodrich are in that league, regardless are they AS, A/T or snow tires (and IMO, any decent snow tire will outperform any AS or A/T tire in snow). As for DM-V2, I have them and not impressed at all.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I need more tire that that "test". One that does it all.... muddy gravel roads, farm/ranch property use, and snow from wet to drifted. Something that will get me to the highway 1.5 miles away since we get last shot at county snowplowing the road. BFG AT K02's do a pretty good job for me. They are pretty quiet for an AT tire on the highway. I guess it all depends on what the needs are as to what tire will cover the most bases for you. A dedicated snow tire is not going to work for me, and certainly no all season road tire. The temperature and weather changes throughout the the year demand a all encompassing aggressive type tire. A dedicated winter tire or all season does pretty lousy on a muddy gravel road when you are cutting inches into the mud. Then the next day things freeze up and 12" snow. Then a week or two later, back to the mud. And the cycle repeats all winter. Then the spring thaws and the having to get out on the soft ground of the farm ground and property. Summer is the only reprieve, and that is marginal sometimes.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Unfortunately, I need more tire that that "test". One that does it all.... muddy gravel roads, farm/ranch property use, and snow from wet to drifted. Something that will get me to the highway 1.5 miles away since we get last shot at county snowplowing the road. BFG AT K02's do a pretty good job for me. They are pretty quiet for an AT tire on the highway. I guess it all depends on what the needs are as to what tire will cover the most bases for you. A dedicated snow tire is not going to work for me, and certainly no all season road tire. The temperature and weather changes throughout the the year demand a all encompassing aggressive type tire. A dedicated winter tire or all season does pretty lousy on a muddy gravel road when you are cutting inches into the mud. Then the next day things freeze up and 12" snow. Then a week or two later, back to the mud. And the cycle repeats all winter. Then the spring thaws and the having to get out on the soft ground of the farm ground and property. Summer is the only reprieve, and that is marginal sometimes.

Look at the GY Duratracs. They are a 50k mile A/T tire with the mountain/snowflake symbol.

I went with the tire my commercial tire dealer uses for all their service trucks... BFG AT KO2's. They more closely deal with what I have to deal with and they prefer the KO2's over any other brand they have. There is bad history with me and Goodyear's, so their products do not see my commercial or personal applications anymore. Might be missing out on something, but it will just have to be missed.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier

Look at the GY Duratracs. They are a 50k mile A/T tire with the mountain/snowflake symbol.

It may have been lost in all the powerwagon discussion but the tire I recommended also has 50000 mile warranty and snowflake.
49.gif

Now how many lockers did that Titan XD have? I'll give you a hint.. one less than the Powerwagon.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand

It may have been lost in all the powerwagon discussion but the tire I recommended also has 50000 mile warranty and snowflake.
49.gif

Now how many lockers did that Titan XD have? I'll give you a hint.. one less than the Powerwagon.
11.gif

Your precious lockers without the Duratracs

https://youtu.be/n8oHp2ExJnw

Non lockers on ice, with Duratracs

https://youtu.be/Eb6CU2SM9Cw

See a trend here?

You're obviously a big fan of the duratracs... I hav no experience with them so I can't comment there.

But what I DO notice is your purported "example" of the duratracs superiority over locking diffs is a pretty ridiculous one, considering the Power Wagon in the video you posted is strapped to another parked truck. They were purposely keeping it static to demonstrate how the diffs work. It has NO relevance to any comparison of their usefulness in low traction situations...

I have about 80k on my Duratracs which are now on my winter rims. They do great in snow and on wet ice even with open diffs.

My only complaint is that they are loud. When new, they almost have a high pitched whine resembling a TIE fighter from Star Wars. They definitely hide unwanted drive line noises too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back