Flush 08 Sienna

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got an 08 sienna and finally got around to doing the fluids. I have the Toyota Pink SLLC waiting for what I assumed was a drain and fill of factory fluid, but as I drained the radiator, realized someone has mixed green in there. Overall the coolant looks orange when in a clear bottle. So instead of filling with SLLC, Ive filled and drained a couple times with a gallon of distilled. Ill probably do this 2-3 more times to dilute most of the green. How should I go about getting it back to pink? When I add the diluted SLLC, it will dilute even further with all the distilled in there. Also, at $28 a bottle, buying SLLC is expensive. Can I add some Toyota Red LLC mixed with pink for a couple years?

They're not the same. You can search this forum and find discussions about the red vs pink Toyota coolants.

Since the system is contaminated with dissimilar coolants, just flush with water and get yourself back to 50/50 with any full-strength coolant instead of spending >$100 on pre-diluted Toyota SLLC.

I realize red and pink not the same. I may get a gallon of red and use that to mix with the red, then top off with the pink as needed, and in the future, just drain and fill with pink (or red?). Older vehicle has the red. Nice to stay with one coolant.

If you have a V6 in that Sienna, I think there is a block drain on each side...firewall side is closer to the driver and the front side is on passenger side. look for a fitting that has a 10mm brass plug in the center and a 90 degree tube that come off the bottom. You can get some clear tubing a Lowes and cut a section to length and drain into your pan or old jugs. Try about 1/4 cup of TSP - Tri Sodium Phosphate (the real stuff) it comes in a real small box, look in the paint section at Lowes or Home Depot. Just dissolve it in distilled water and fill your cooling system and run at operating temperature for about 20 minutes and drain the radiator and block. Fill with distilled water and run to rinse out and drain again. you might need 2 rinse cycles but it will clean you system out and not cause any seal issues. Fill with SLLC Pink and you are good to go.

Last edited:
U can mix red and pink, but in your case, I would flush the entire system w distilled, then go with a concentrate coolant so you can get close to 50/50, as suggested by Ethan

Quote:
U can mix red and pink, but in your case, I would flush the entire system w distilled.....
This.

To do it right, you really should get all the old out. Imo, not necessary to use a strong flush product. If you desire something like Prestone Radiator flush would work, it's just mild citric acid. But distilled flush series should be ok. Not familiar with how easy block drains are on this vehicle, if really easy can use them. If not, just some distilled radiator d&f's till clear will work. Distilled water is inexpensive.

Here's where it gets a little tricky. If you use a premix like pink SLL, you'll really need to use the block drains to get correct AF concentration. Otherwise only way is more d&f with the premix, then check concentration with a AF tester/hydrometer. That's sort of a last resort because it's wasteful of AF. Maybe block drains easy, then moot point.

One other option, PepBoys sells OEM brand Asian AF in concentrate for ~$22/gal in store, $23 for PB@ebay delivered. Comes in red or pink tint but both the same. Really ideal for what you need and then don't have to mess with block drains if you don't want. And it's a long service interval AF like SLL pink. And twice as much AF per gallon than premix.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Valvoline/Zerex Asian Coolant is also available readily for cheap.
Yes, and it claims to be equivalent to the expensive SLLC.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Farmer
Valvoline/Zerex Asian Coolant is also available readily for cheap.
Yes, and it claims to be equivalent to the expensive SLLC.

I used Zerex Asian for a D/F and a full fill on my parent's van - the Sienna's cooling is pretty easy to service, a little finicky to get a funnel on the fill point. I had the cowl pulled and a Lisle spill-free funnel fits just fine. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back