How reliable is Ford Transit Connect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
How important is mileage to you? I am quite impressed with our new 2014 GMC Savana 1500 cargo vans. They ride pretty smooth and while not power houses with the V6, they get around ok.
We bought a dozen of them and they were quite cheap, but even getting just one, you might get it for $20-22k? with AC, power locks allround.

Be careful, those Savana's will grow on you!

Our newest vans feature a ton of structural adhesive all over the place where seams and folds are welded up. Amazing stiffness and quiet, too...

Did the V6 finally get the 6 speed trans? Because without it, I found a V6 1500 used more gas than a 4.8 2500!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Did the V6 finally get the 6 speed trans? Because without it, I found a V6 1500 used more gas than a 4.8 2500!

I don't think so, it felt like a traditional 4 spd, but it will lock the TC quite early in top gear, and hold it until you can feel/hear the motor vibrating which is a bit annoying below 50mph... We have some older 2010 2500's with the V8 and they are a bit more peppy but ride more like a dump truck with the stiffer springs and LT tires.
The 1500 still has a payload of 2300lbs which is decent for most uses I guess.
If they put in the DI 4.3 and 6 spd, it could compete mileage wise with a minivan.

I owned one, and ended up trading it to a guy how did some work for me. Right now it has about 80K of very hard miles, no issues. As far as the transmission, if you change the fluid, don't drive like an idiot and don't overload it, then you'll probably avoid 95% of the problems. I mean, it's a small 4 cylinder vehicle used to haul stuff--so you have to be reasonable in your expectations. I swear most of the issues come up because by and large the people driving these cars don't actually own them! Nail it from a stop light when you're full of cargo and yeah, you'll end up with transmission issues.

I guess it depends on your purpose for the vehicle. I thought I'd use it for traveling, but it's just too noisy. I didn't even bother sound deadening the vehicle because I thought it was too far gone. And it drives very truck-like. It has a lot of utility, which is great--but it makes my '88 Camry wagon seem refined! I did like it though, and there are things I miss about it. Rear swinging doors were awesome. I'll probably take a look a the new one.

Originally Posted By: JOD
I owned one, and ended up trading it to a guy how did some work for me. Right now it has about 80K of very hard miles, no issues. As far as the transmission, if you change the fluid, don't drive like an idiot and don't overload it, then you'll probably avoid 95% of the problems. I mean, it's a small 4 cylinder vehicle used to haul stuff--so you have to be reasonable in your expectations. I swear most of the issues come up because by and large the people driving these cars don't actually own them! Nail it from a stop light when you're full of cargo and yeah, you'll end up with transmission issues.

I guess it depends on your purpose for the vehicle. I thought I'd use it for traveling, but it's just too noisy. I didn't even bother sound deadening the vehicle because I thought it was too far gone. And it drives very truck-like. It has a lot of utility, which is great--but it makes my '88 Camry wagon seem refined! I did like it though, and there are things I miss about it. Rear swinging doors were awesome. I'll probably take a look a the new one.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. That was what my intention for using it as traveling/camping. Since you had owned the first gen, please share you test drive impression of the 2nd gen. I would love to hear it.

Last edited:
The airport guys around here have come to dislike the Transit Connect. The promise of an economical, small work vehicle was good. But they have not turned out to be as long lasting and robust as is necessary around here.

The local cleaning crew switched to the Nissan Vans. Not sure if they are better. But they could not get rid of the Transit's quickly enough.

As mentioned above, abuse during the normal workday is probably the culprit. The thing is, work ain't always an easy task. (quoting the boss)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JOD

The new ones are really nice!

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The airport guys around here have come to dislike the Transit Connect. The promise of an economical, small work vehicle was good. But they have not turned out to be as long lasting and robust as is necessary around here.

The local cleaning crew switched to the Nissan Vans. Not sure if they are better. But they could not get rid of the Transit's quickly enough.

As mentioned above, abuse during the normal workday is probably the culprit. The thing is, work ain't always an easy task. (quoting the boss)

$7000 CVT replacement every 60K miles is going to wear out the welcome pretty quickly.

We have two Transit Connects where I work. They're about three years old now and both guys live at least an hour from the shop so I'm guessing the mileage is getting up there. As far as reliabilty, I don't think we've had any issues yet. I drove one for a week when it was new and I considered it under-powered when empty and a complete dog when loaded.

You should look at the Ram C/V. About the same price as the Transit Connect, more useable space, and dramatically more power with similar mileage when loaded the same. It's just a much better thought out cargo van.

I think the point of the Transit Connect and NV200 are specifically to be smaller than anything else.

I'm not sure why the Ram C/V is more expensive than an America Value Package Caravan ... you get less stuff for more money.

The NV200 is a bit less than the Ram C/V and the Transit Connect is more. But they are small.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I'm not sure why the Ram C/V is more expensive than an America Value Package Caravan ... you get less stuff for more money.

They expect more breakage under load?

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Miller88

They expect more breakage under load?

I think fleet vehicle MSRP's are just a number that gives the dealer miles of room to discount. And they don't need a low MSRP to advertise, a business will call everyone to see what the bottom line is, where as the personal car buyer may not bother if the MSRP is out of line.

My company has one in its fleet. It's on its third set of shocks. It is inferior to the Windstar it replaced, and vastly inferior to the real trucks (1/2 ton and 3/4 ton pickups and Econolines). These are cable and telecom service guys in a rural area. The Transit Connect may be better for delivering flowers in suburbia.

The biggest problem is that you have a Ford Focus with a van body. There, I said it. Everybody sees a van, then wants to do everything to it that they would do to an Econoline. You simply can't use this vehicle for anything heavy. This is strictly light duty.

Who would want or need this?

Well, for some of us, a full size van like the Transit is simply overkill. We don't all haul a lot of items, or need all the power and torque. I'm not towing anything with my Transit Connect. That is what I have a truck for. Parking is a lot easier. It maneuvers in and out of downtown traffic like a small car. I can still get commercial plates for parking in loading zones. 7 passenger seating without having to buy an SUV. And believe it or not, the 2nd row or 3 seats is actually comfortable enough for 3 people, and the 3rd row of 2 seats works. Light duty commercial - you bet. Plenty of room for my tools. I'm not using this for lumber, pipe, or wire. Nobody is outfitting these to carry hundreds of gallons of water to operate a mobile car wash, sidewalk pressure washer, exterminator spray truck, or carpet cleaning. But if you've got a small motor or transformer strapped to a pallet, no problem.

It's like the old days when people bought little 1/4 ton trucks. You just knew that the little Ford Ranger was not going to carry more than a couple of dirt bikes, or maybe a quad. A lot more recreational use than heavy duty commercial. But tons of them were used and abused.

So knowing that this vehicle has a small payload, and does not have heavy duty suspension, and that it's based on a Ford Focus platform; you have to be mindful not to overload it. Overload it, and be ready to pay for it. Engine, transmission, brakes, cooling, alignment, suspension....all will wear out. Drive it like you are suppose to, keep it maintained, and you shouldn't have problems. Deliver flowers. Deliver pizza. Deliver Chinese food. Drive your friends and family around town. Use it as a road trip sleeper or camper. Put your mountain bikes on the roof. Load in a couple of dirt bikes. Take it up to your hunting cabin, and you can throw your game harvest in the back. No problems with deer, elk, wild boar, rabbit, turkey, et cetera. All of my fishing gear and ice chests fit. A day at the beach or a trip up the coast? No sweat. Great for a small band to go to gigs with. Perfect for a mobile DJ to do weddings.

Mine is rolling around with the 3rd row of 2 seats up, and the 2nd row of 3 seats down. A Panty Wagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back