I'm Now a Mak Daddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, almost.

I ordered a Bulgarian Makarov today.

I've been intrigued by the Makarov since I was a kid and reading Tom Clancy novels. If you ever read any of Tom's books, you know that man had one helluva way of describing machinery and equipment. I remember him describing the little handgun in one of his books - I don't remember, now, which book it was, but one of the main characters in the book used the Makarov as his EDC. Clancy described it as a tremendous value for the money. One of those rare, good-quality guns that doesn't command an equally high price.

It's a good-looking handgun - even more so than the Walther that was its designer's inspiration, IMHO. Simple, clean lines. The simplicity of the gun also appeals to me - I read that the parts count was reduced from that of the Walther, as well. Simple, straight blowback operation, and the fixed barrel design makes it naturally accurate (or, at least, consistent, LOL).

Seems like a deal these days at just over $300, though I've found that they were going for $100-150 just 10 or 12 years ago. Doesn't that always seem to be the case, these days? I mean, are there any killer deals LEFT in the firearms world in 2016?!?!

I see that Cheaper than Dirt has Tula for 20 cents a round and Silver Bear for 24 cents. Also many brass-cased varieties.

It'll be interesting, I think. I love guns that have history, and character, and I think the Mak has both.

Thoughts?

They are rugged, well built, and reliable pistols. The safety operation is backwards from other slide mounted guns, but you will get used to that.

If I were you I would get a new recoil spring from Wolff and install it. Other than that shoot it and enjoy it.

They are fun shooters. I personally would use a more modern gun for defensive use, but that's me.

Get a spring kit and change the springs out. Production started in the 50's, so some are quite old.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I mean, are there any killer deals LEFT in the firearms world in 2016?!?!

Yes, many of the CZ styled SAR ARMS pistols from EEA

These are a better buy than the Makarov IMHO, and shoot standard 9 MM ammo. They are made by Zastava in Serbia. They come brand new in the box.

http://www.jgsales.com/zastava-yugo-mini-tokarev-m88a-semi-auto-pistol,-9mm,-blued,-new.-p-61820.html

Only problem with the Yugo Toks are that they are single action only and the safety being where it is would make carrying one hard as it would be slower to deploy. However, for a nightstand budget gun, they would be pretty good.

Other good deals seems to the Hi Power'esque Bulgarian ARCUS pistols when they come in, the Canik and SAR CZ inspired clones (amd the Walther P99 inspired Canik TP9), and the CZ999 Sig/Walther p88 inspired Serb guns (like the Arcus they are imported in spurts).

Just as not every car has to be a daily driver to be worthwhile or enjoyed, not every gun has to meet the rigors of carry or defensive use....

Enjoy the Makarov!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Just as not every car has to be a daily driver to be worthwhile or enjoyed, not every gun has to meet the rigors of carry or defensive use....

Enjoy the Makarov!

Oh I know...I have a safe full of superfluous guns.

I remember looking at them when they were $150-175 and wish I bought one. HOWEVER, and I'm sure a firearm's expert could clarify, they were made all over the soviet bloc and similar world, with the East German being the best (naturally), Russian and Bulgarian being good, and Chinese and Egyptian?? of lesser build standards. Which do you have?

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
I remember looking at them when they were $150-175 and wish I bought one. HOWEVER, and I'm sure a firearm's expert could clarify, they were made all over the soviet bloc and similar world, with the East German being the best (naturally), Russian and Bulgarian being good, and Chinese and Egyptian?? of lesser build standards. Which do you have?

He states it is Bulgarian one.

It should also be noted they were imported from Russia as commercial models in 9mm Makarov and 380 ACP under the Baikal brand in the early 90's. Only different is they will have adjustable sights. Good way to get a Ruskie with less collectors value.

Congratulations on the new buy ! Seems that these are Arsenal (Circle 10) factory pistols sold to the Slovenian Army right after the demise of Yugoslavia . Seem to be unissued or lightly used. Probably made in the 70-ies or 80-ies. Some of them even come with an army booklet in Slovenian. Anyway ,rumors has it that the military line products are better quality than the "civilian" line made in the 90-ies like Baikals etc.
The Arcus factory has ceased production of handguns for some time...

Cool!

I have a weird affinity for eastern European firearms like this. I don't know why. I've owned a few CZs because of it. Never should have sold the first one I had (a new P-09).

Enjoy it! They're neat machines.

Originally Posted By: Rollins
Congratulations on the new buy ! Seems that these are Arsenal (Circle 10) factory pistols sold to the Slovenian Army right after the demise of Yugoslavia . Seem to be unissued or lightly used. Probably made in the 70-ies or 80-ies. Some of them even come with an army booklet in Slovenian. Anyway ,rumors has it that the military line products are better quality than the "civilian" line made in the 90-ies like Baikals etc.

Some of the Ruskie Baikal maks are different. There is of course the high capacity model and word is that for that model they used more cast parts and the slide stop was cheaper. The biggest complaints on the civilian version of the military single stack mak is that the bluing is not as durable and the level of polish seems to be less. That adjustable rear sight added to gain points to allow for import under the 1968 gun control act are not the most durable and are prone to snagging if you use them as a conceal pistol. However in terms of reliability and function, I have never heard of a noticeable difference between the Baikal and Military single stacks.

Originally Posted By: Rollins

Thanks!

I learned about these latest unissued Bulgarians from the Military Arms Channel on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/CuGm1r6APJk?t=14m30s

Most of this batch seems to have been made in the late 80s.

I ordered mine from Southern Ohio Gun (SOG). They come with a leather holster, cleaning rod, leather lanyard, one magazine, and log book.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/military-...s-unissued.html

Here are some photos... I'll post initial impressions later. I haven't shot it yet - I field stripped it (very easy) and sprayed it down with some Ballistol. It was slathered in some fairly light consistency grease - actually it's not too bad-smelling stuff. Looks like caramel. On the outside of the gun, it had gotten kinda sticky. It looks to be down into the mechanisms too.

I'll post more photos when I get it all cleaned up.

[URL=http://s105.photobucket.com/user/johnmpifer/media/1180DCB7-063C-4A14-AEDB-D455B22C7038.jpg.html]

Got the gun all cleaned up, and it looks a lot better than it does in the above photos!

Initial impressions are that the Makarov feels really good in my hand - even better than my Browning Hi Power (mostly because the BHP, being a double-stack, has a fatter grip) and almost as good as a CZ-75. In fact, it feels a lot like a smaller version of the CZ grip. I like the plastic one-piece grip. It would be cool to have a black one as well.

The gun feels like quality. Of course, the insides, as far as the finish on the metal, aren't as nice and pretty as they are on my Hi Power or my Dan Wesson, but they're not bad. There's no corrosion anywhere on the gun that I can see. Only imperfections I can see are a couple of spots where the blueing isn't perfect. Again, the blueing isn't a vintage Colt, but it's definitely not bad, especially for the price. There is a small amount of holster wear, but I don't care about that...it just adds character, and makes for conversation when showing the Makarov. You can imagine a Slovenian officer carrying the pistol in the leather flap holster, just like in the movies. Southern Ohio Gun (SOG), the company I ordered the Mak from, has a hand-pick option for an additional $10. That's not bad for a hand-pick considering other companies charge $20. I thought about selecting the hand-pick option, but my goal for this purchase was getting a quality handgun for not a lot of money, so I decided against it and rolled the dice. I'd say I came out pretty well. I'll post some post-cleaning photos tomorrow and you guys can be the judge.

The other thing that I'm really pleased about is the trigger. I'd heard these pistols had pretty decent triggers, but I was surprised at how smooth it is. It's not like my Hi Power, where you have a bit of takeup, then the wall (heavy, about 8-9 lbs) then virtually zero rearward travel of the trigger before a glass rod-like break. In SA mode, there is some initial takeup, then you start to feel some resistance, then there's about a quarter-inch of butter-smooth travel before a clean break. Probably 5-6 lbs if I had to estimate. There's not a trace of grit, which is more than I can say about the other DA/SA pistol I have experience with, my brother-in-law's recent-manufacture CZ-75B. DA pull feels very heavy. Advertised at 12 lbs, but feels like more, to me. In the course of my research, I read about the Polish Radom, which they say has a 20-lb. trigger. If it has a heavier DA pull than this Mak, I'd hate to think how heavy it is.

Can't wait to take it to the range tomorrow and see what kind of groups I can shoot with it. I'm looking forward to seeing how consistent I can get with it, compared to my other, much more expensive handguns. I've heard these things are surprisingly accurate.

Incidentally, the serial no. indicates it was made in 1988.

I think it cleaned up pretty nicely! A little Ballistol on a rag brings out the luster of the blueing on the slide. It looks quite a bit nicer in the daylight.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Beautiful metal! It sure would be nice if you could get some nice wood grips for it.

Thanks, Bill!

I'm pretty partial to wood and blue steel, myself, although the "Bakelite" grip does lend some Cold War nostalgia to the gun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back