15w-40 in my boat, is diesel oil OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless that water is frozen all around the hull, the bilge temps will always be high enough for 15W to work. Yeah, the motor might turn over a slight bit easier with 5W when the ice flows are forming... But 15W is fine most times for any boat. The water around you helps moderate the low temps
smile.gif

I've been using NAPA 15-40 diesel in my Yamaha 115 4-stroke for 4 years and never a problem. If you had a catalitic converter maybe it would screw up. It's fine, use it.

Been using NAPA 15-40 Universal Fleet for years in my Yamaha F115. Never a problem. Yamaha oil has 1100ppm zink as does all deisel oil. The Yamaha F115 is a flat tappet engine needing this extra protection. Read the MSDS.

I ran Delo 400LE 15w-40 in my Nautique this year and everything seemed fine. I picked it over the ever-popular Rotella because some of the VOA's I saw indicated it may have slightly more ZDDP. There are so many other maintenance items on a boat that tend to get ignored that I would never spend more on synthetics. For that matter, everything gets changed pretty frequently anyway.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
cj-4 oil are designed for engine with total sulfur content of max .5 % so no you likely cant use that oil if it is a sn/cj-4 oil

you ll damage your engine
How will the oil damage the engine?

Originally Posted By: terminaldegree
I ran Delo 400LE 15w-40 in my Nautique this year and everything seemed fine. I picked it over the ever-popular Rotella because some of the VOA's I saw indicated it may have slightly more ZDDP. There are so many other maintenance items on a boat that tend to get ignored that I would never spend more on synthetics. For that matter, everything gets changed pretty frequently anyway.
A happy boat is an over maintained boat ! Time on the water is too valuable to chance a break down from neglect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back