2017 vs. 2016 Ford F150 comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the work trucks / lower trim levels lacking in sound deadner? I'd think they could use the same stuff under a rubber mat, if they wanted to, or inside any of the panels. Although this is one of the tricks they do to hit costs required for fleets and/or to discourage people from buying low trim levels.

Was looking the other night, and a local dealer has a Tundra with the 4.0, a real stripper model. No tachometer. ??? How did that one move save money? they probably spent more to come up with the blockoff plate than to just install the meter (since like ten got sold with a 4.0 and no tach).

To speak to the high price of todays trucks:

I think it is a case of "It already costs so much, why not spend a little more?" An XLT F150 crew can easily push 40k, so why not just go another 10k for a king ranch or lariat or platinum? Its not like your getting a decent crew cab truck for less than the mid to upper 30s I did the math on some of these trucks and the payment exceeded my mortgage.

My solution was to pay cash for an older but loaded truck, my 05 GMC 2500 lacks 4x4, only 12 to 16 mpg, but it is super comfortable and capable. It was very cheap and is still quite nice.

If you get lucky and find an actual deal on a used truck and can fix it up yourself, forget that brand new one. I watched for a truck for months and months before finding one that made enough sense to buy.

Originally Posted By: dareo
To speak to the high price of todays trucks:

I think it is a case of "It already costs so much, why not spend a little more?" An XLT F150 crew can easily push 40k, so why not just go another 10k for a king ranch or lariat or platinum? Its not like your getting a decent crew cab truck for less than the mid to upper 30s I did the math on some of these trucks and the payment exceeded my mortgage.

My solution was to pay cash for an older but loaded truck, my 05 GMC 2500 lacks 4x4, only 12 to 16 mpg, but it is super comfortable and capable. It was very cheap and is still quite nice.

If you get lucky and find an actual deal on a used truck and can fix it up yourself, forget that brand new one. I watched for a truck for months and months before finding one that made enough sense to buy.

Yup! I looked for over a year to find my truck. It was only 1.5 years old when I bought it, but it was less than 50% of the purchase price.

I am going through a similar situation. I am looking to upgrade to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton Ford and with the 2017's coming out the 2016's are getting much cheaper. Over the last month I have seen them drop by over 10k. The capability will be similar but the offset cost will make it work.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Which one comes with the option to get a heated tailgate? Want to keep my hands warm when I am pushing it.

I drove Ford trucks for over 30 years and loved every one of them. That being said, that was a darn funny statement.

The 2017 3.5 EcoBoost in the F150 is completely new compared to the 2016 version though it shares bore centers.

Interestingly, the new EcoBoost engine has two fuel injectors per cylinder: 1 direct and 1 port.
Whether this is to minimize carbon deposits in intake valves, reduce fuel dilution, improve driveability, reduce emissions, etc. is open to question. But this is not a cheap change so it must be in response to some deficiency in the 2016 and prior versions.

People who buy base trucks will never understand those of us that what things a little nicer.

Originally Posted By: CKN
People who buy base trucks will never understand those of us that what things a little nicer.
Err, I bought a base truck, and can see why people go up. I just didn't see a need for myself--base got me 4WD, 4 doors, 6.5' bed, power locks/windows/steering/brakes, RKE and an AM/FM/CD radio. With Bluetooth no less. Didn't want a TV for backing up, although sometimes it'd be nice.

Ok, "base" has changed drastically over the years, but my "base" has been sufficient for my needs. Don't really care what others buy.

Want a base level truck? Go buy one. Be happy they make them.

Want a loaded up truck? Go buy one. Be happy they make them.

Want a nicely equipped truck? Go buy one. Be happy they make them.

Seeing a theme?

Why people get so worked up about a vehicle and price that isn't aimed that them, I'll never understand...

For a used purchase, the high trim levels are great. They are more likely to be driven to the mall and pulling a camper once a year. Base models are more likely to be beaten like a red headed step child at the end of the month when the money and the whiskey has run dry.

Originally Posted By: Danh
The 2017 3.5 EcoBoost in the F150 is completely new compared to the 2016 version though it shares bore centers.

Interestingly, the new EcoBoost engine has two fuel injectors per cylinder: 1 direct and 1 port.
Whether this is to minimize carbon deposits in intake valves, reduce fuel dilution, improve driveability, reduce emissions, etc. is open to question. But this is not a cheap change so it must be in response to some deficiency in the 2016 and prior versions.

Ford has admitted that the port injection is both for emissions and for carbon mitigation. At least with regard to the Ecoboost 3.5L in the upcoming Raptor. (speculation) It may also be for high RPM performance and ultimate HP. As many direct injection systems are less than optimum at very high RPM.

I personally don't go for loaded up vehicles because I've found that I don't use most of the stuff that comes with it and since I like to keep my vehicles a long time, There is a lot less to go wrong, especially with the electronic stuff which is very expensive to fix.

My 14 Mustang GT is a base model car with the automatic transmission as it's only option and I'm perfectly happy with it. I don't miss any of the stuff the premium versions come with.

Wayne

2017 F-150 configurator is up on Ford's website. I configed a fully loaded F-150 with the price coming out to $65,000 to see how expensive these trucks can get. Barebones about $27,000.

Disappointing that you can't get the 10-spd with the V8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back