What oil filter cup wrench to remove honda filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what oil filter cup wrench to get to remove a honda OEM oil filter? I am going to replace the OEM filter the dealer put on with a fram ultra when I change my oil but don't want to buy a honda OEM filter just to size it to remove. I need to get a cup wrench that will easily remove it. I will be getting it at autozone if anyone can link me to one that will fit.

That big pliers looking wrench is money if you have clearance to use it.

If you bought a cap wrench that is able to remove the OEM Honda, that may be all it's good for if you go with the Ultra after that.

I have had poor luck with fitment using cap wrenches on Fram's with the no slip grip. Granted these were much larger filters so maybe someone else has had better luck.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: matt357
..... I will be getting it at autozone if anyone can link me to one that will fit.

This cam action type cap wrench is the right size for Honda application filters (7317/14610/57356). ~$6, same design as Lisle 63600 but less expensive and sold at AZ. Works well.

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage...nch/297190_0_0/

That AZ one is Chicom junk. When I took mine back, the manager said each sold came back. Does not lock on when turning. Sloppy spring action and poor machining. Buy the Lisle one and save yourself the frustration.

Last edited:
I use a Super Graphite #5 by FloTool on my Accord. It's a cap wrench for a 3/8" ratchet. Actually made in the USA.

Probably not the greatest quality but it wasn't expensive and it's done the job for several years.

It has fit a variety of brands of filters (OEM, HAMP, WIX) so far. One trick for using it on the WIX filters is to put the cap on the filter before inserting the ratchet. If put the cap wrench on ratchet first it slips on the filter. The ratchet must protrude just enough to interfere with getting a snug grip. For some reason that's only been true on WIX filters. Maybe slight differences in outside dimensions. Anyway not a big issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
This cam action type cap wrench is the right size for Honda application filters (7317/14610/57356). ~$6, same design as Lisle 63600 but less expensive and sold at AZ. Works well.

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage...nch/297190_0_0/

That AZ one is....junk......

Owned it for years now, used extensively and it's worked flawlessly on the 7317 application filters I've used it on and continues to do so. Conclusion, my anecdotal experience different than your anecdotal experience.

I use an old belt. What holds your pants up. Works better than the numerous wrenches/straps I've used over the years.

I have a cup-style oil filter wrench I use for both my Hondas. It was purchased for the S2000 but it works on the Accord also. It needs a 14mm(or 17mm) socket or wrench to turn it. The unusual part of this filter is that it has an opening (almost like a crescent moon) where can you insert a screwdriver to knock it off the oil filter after tightening or loosening the oil filter. It works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back