Motorcraft 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting near time for an oil change on my 2015 Ford 6.7. I'm currently running Mobil TDT but that is not always easy to find around here so wondering how the Motorcraft 5w-40 Full Syn compares. Any thoughts? Tx.

It is likely good oil and probably made by Conoco, but in the US it is usually only available at a Ford dealer and as a consequence, it is very expensive. What about the usual suspects? Mobil Delvac 1 ESP, Shell Rotella T6, or Chevron Delo 400 LE?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
It is likely good oil and probably made by Conoco, but in the US it is usually only available at a Ford dealer and as a consequence, it is very expensive. What about the usual suspects? Mobil Delvac 1 ESP, Shell Rotella T6, or Chevron Delo 400 LE?

Oddly I saw some at an Oreilly's in Anchorage AK recently for about $44 a 5 qt jug. Too much money when TDT is $23 on rollback at Walmart.

Since the OP is in Canada, I'd look for the cheapest 5w40 I could find. T6 comes to mind, what does Petro Canada offer?

Originally Posted By: BCguy
Getting near time for an oil change on my 2015 Ford 6.7. I'm currently running Mobil TDT but that is not always easy to find around here so wondering how the Motorcraft 5w-40 Full Syn compares. Any thoughts? Tx.

M1 TDT is on special this quarter at Napa. I think it was $35 for 4.4L. Not a great deal but cheaper than CT.

I used to own a 2002 F350 4x4 with the legendary 7.3, great truck, great motor made for Ford by International. I had good luck with the Motor Craft 15w40, made by Conoco for Ford, purchased at WM 3= 5 quart jugs for around $45 then.

I now own a 2011 Ram 3500 4x4 with the Cummins. I now run the Rotella Synthetic T6 5w40, needing 3 gallons at about $22 each at WM, good oil. I am also a member of the Shell Rewards Program which earns free stuff with each gallon of Rotella Purchased. Good luck with your rig.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turbowhistle
I used to own a 2002 F350 4x4 with the legendary 7.3, great truck, great motor made for Ford by International. I had good luck with the Motor Craft 15w40, made by Conoco for Ford, purchased at WM 3= 5 quart jugs for around $45 then.

I now own a 2011 Ram 3500 4x4 with the Cummins. I now run the Rotella Synthetic T6 5w40, needing 3 gallons at about $22 each at WM, good oil. I am also a member of the Shell Rewards Program which earns free stuff with each gallon of Rotella Purchased. Good luck with your rig.

OP is from Canada. Not sure which part of BC but crossing into Washington for those deals is an option too.

I have read that in Canada, you can get Klondike 0w40 CJ-4 at a good price. If I was in Canada, I would choose that instead.

Thanks guys. Just looking for some options and it sounds like the Motorcraft is as good as any. Was running the Motorcraft 10w30 before switching to a full synth (TDT) and it was probably all the truck needed but I've always used full synth in all my vehicles so will look around for a deal somewhere.

I run MC 10w30 all of the time, but my dealer threw in MC 5w40 this last oil change for the same price because they were out of 10w30 HDEO. So far, the engine is quieter and I'm seeing fewer exhaust cleanings. I've always been a fan of the 10w30, but I might be rethinking it, especially since my wife noticed the quite engine and we're talking about a 2014 6.7 f250, not a 6.0. I'm really not seeing lower MPGs either, just a little quieter engine, can someone explain that?

Originally Posted By: Rocdoc27
I run MC 10w30 all of the time, but my dealer threw in MC 5w40 this last oil change for the same price because they were out of 10w30 HDEO. So far, the engine is quieter and I'm seeing fewer exhaust cleanings. I've always been a fan of the 10w30, but I might be rethinking it, especially since my wife noticed the quite engine and we're talking about a 2014 6.7 f250, not a 6.0. I'm really not seeing lower MPGs either, just a little quieter engine, can someone explain that?

You are not going to notice any appreciable difference in MPG in normal driving conditions just switching from a 10w30 to a 5w40 in a full size diesel truck.

IMO for the price there are other brands that sell 5W40 HDEO that are just as good if not better. If Ford puts it's name on the bottle rest assured they are getting their profits, similar to Valvoline & Cummins trademark bottles.

It's just another flavor of hydrocracked oil similar to Rotella T6, Delo 400LE, Valvoline Extreme Blue, etc.

Lots of sales & rebates to watch for which can save you a few bucks. I recently stocked up on Delvac 1 when they had the $12 per gallon rebate this past summer. The Delvac 1 may be just a little better than the rest above due to the PAO additive noticed by a little higher flash point & a little lower pour point than the others I've listed.

To each his own though, I may like strawberry ice cream but you may like chocolate.

I run T6 in my 6.7, but my mechanic keeps telling me I should not run full synthetic (nor blend actually) in a high mileage diesel. Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: SMS66
I run T6 in my 6.7, but my mechanic keeps telling me I should not run full synthetic (nor blend actually) in a high mileage diesel. Thoughts?
Why? What is his rationale for making that statement?

Why is that?
I run full synth (well probably gr III with maybe a few oz of pao in fact) in my high mileage diesel, and it doesn't leak or burn oil or whatever. I used to run whatever I had on hand, semi-synth or synth for years, no problem.

I think T6 is a great oil for a 6,7L, which I could find an equivalent here.

Originally Posted By: SMS66

If its not leaking, I don't see why not. I run 5W40 typically year round in my 2012 6.7L without issue mainly because I've been getting for about the same cost (within $2-$3) as conventional after rebates & sale pricing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back