Wiring a truck cap/topper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought a used Jeraco truck cap that has a plug already wired into it for a third brake light and dome light. I purchased a 4 pin connector to hook up to the truck from Jeraco for $7.95. It has a red wire for the third brake light, a brown wire for the dome light and a black for ground.

I think the easiest way may be to tie into the 7 pin trailering wiring under the bumper near the spare tire. The 7 pin on my truck (11' Sierra) is labeled. Red is + auxiliary so I thought I could tie in the dome light to that. Blue is electric brake so thinking I can tie the brake light on the cap into that although there are two other pins labeled rt and lt stop turn. I am thinking I should not tie the brake light into those as the brake light on the cap might flash when I put the turn signals on? Does this sound correct?

My next question is what is the best way to tie into the wires? I am concerned about the winters here in PA and all the slop that splashes up in the area I want to tie the wires into that causes corrosion etc. Do people use a lot of electrical tape or possibly heat shrink? Any comments or suggestions welcome. Thanks

Heat shrink tubing is always a good idea, especially the kind that is lined with a sealant. Other good products include silicone dielectric grease, split loom, and silicone tape (I find it's more durable than electrical tape, even 3M Super 88).

If you can't find any heat shrink tubing that has the sealant, you can always put a dab of dielectric grease on the splice and then put the heat shrink tubing over that. Make sure you use enough grease so that a small amount gets squeezed out when you shrink the tubing--that'll give you a completely sealed splice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back