Torque sticks don't work /w electric impact guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some JH Williams made in US industrial torque sticks in 60 and 80 ft-lbs versions. When I use them with my dewalt 1/2" cordless impact gun they run bolts down to 100-120 ft-lbs no matter how gentle I go. Which is the limit of the tool.

Is there something about electric impacts that prevents these from working properly? Too few impacts per minute or something?

It may be that the gentler the force, the less "twist" you get in them (and the more resulting torque on the fastener). Think about it. For an 80 lb*ft stick, you should be able to easily twist that to yield with a hand ratchet. But it won't twist to yield that easily.

I think it takes a great amount of force in a hurry to make torque sticks yield like they should.

Torque sticks are just torsion springs that delay the delivery of peak torque from the tool. They're not going to be even remotely accurate with any kind of driver, and the actual torque depends on how long you keep hitting them.

I forgot to mention these are accurate +/- 10 ft lbs with an air gun. As verified with digital strain gauge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake
I forgot to mention these are accurate +/- 10 ft lbs with an air gun. As verified with digital strain gauge.

You leave out very important imformation.

What is the torque rating of the 2 impacts?

Or at least the models.

Last edited:
Torque sticks are the devil! At least according to the resident experts here.

When used within the limits set by the manufacturer they are accurate enough. I think your issue is the type of clutch the cordless uses. I've seen a discussion on it here at some point- I believe it was Trav that pointed it out.

I'd rather spend the extra time and use a torque wrench, at least then I know the torque will be right.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Torque sticks are the devil! At least according to the resident experts here.

When used within the limits set by the manufacturer they are accurate enough. I think your issue is the type of clutch the cordless uses. I've seen a discussion on it here at some point- I believe it was Trav that pointed it out.

My electric(corded) IR has a twin hammer design and its very accurate with torque sticks when used correctly. I no longer use them as my new impact has a low torque setting.

I always final torqued with a torque wrench.

IIRC the other type is called pin clutch? twin clutch? it produces max torque very fast and isnt as controllable as the hammer type. Great for large frozen bolts.. not so great for regular automotive use.

back on topic. The electric IR was rated at 330lb-ft. and it would consistently be 20% less than the rated torque stick.. ie 100lb-ft stick would be aprox 80. This make sense when you know the torque sticks were rated for use with a 450lb-ft impact.

If you used them with a different gun .. for example the 1150lb-ft nitrocat I can imagine the results would be all over the place.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd rather spend the extra time and use a torque wrench, at least then I know the torque will be right.

I agree, torque sticks are probably only for shop/production. Where you need the lugs tight enough to be safe but not twisted off by the impact gun. Not necessarily for accuracy.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I agree, torque sticks are probably only for shop/production. Where you need the lugs tight enough to be safe but not twisted off by the impact gun. Not necessarily for accuracy.

That's what I think, when close is good enough, or a D passes the class. You'd have to be a fool to torque something like a head down with one.

Torque sticks are great when you're checking rotor runout. You need to set the lugs in the neighborhood but it would be hard to use a torque wrench with car up in air and in neutral. I don't use them to set final torque on the tires.

Torque sticks are great when you're checking rotor runout. You need to set the lugs in the neighborhood but it would be hard to use a torque wrench with car up in air and in neutral. I don't use them to set final torque on the tires.

True. it's not always possible to hold whatever still to tighten with a torque wrench.

I have some JH Williams made in US industrial torque sticks in 60 and 80 ft-lbs versions.
Quote:
When I use them with my dewalt 1/2" cordless impact gun they run bolts down to 100-120 ft-lbs no matter how gentle I go
. Which is the limit of the tool.

Is there something about electric impacts that prevents these from working properly? Too few impacts per minute or something?

That's the problem, the pin clutch mechanism generates full tool torque right from the get go especially on larger 1/2" models, these sticks are really only intended for use with double hammer guns.
The pin clutch has already over powered the rated torque the instant the trigger is pulled.

Hi all,

I tried all kinds of Torque Sticks my pals had in combo with air or electric impact wrenches and they all go over spec on torque by at least 100% or up to the limit of the impact wrench.

Somebody already figured that out and did up a nice PDF including an at-home test you can do:

" BAD NEWS: TORQUE STICKS n’ IMPACT GUNS "

https://app.box.com/s/g8s47dm0woyz65ybundz

I read that and IMO its all correct, the only thing that needs little clarification is..
Quote:
You’ll turn a bit more if the cordless impact driver is less then
1,000 inch/Lbs or 80Ft/Lb.

This does not include real cordless impact guns, like I said in my previous post the powerful ones with pin clutch mechanisms. This means the little 1/4-3/8" drive ones that don't make 100ftlb.

My torque sticks work just fine with my cordless impact. I run them on to 70ft/lbs and hand torque to spec with my Snap-On wrench. It always torques consistently.

robert

My torque sticks are right on target with my ryobi 18v 1/2" impact wrench.

Now of course, that's with a technique of taking the finger off the trigger as soon it starts hammering, then coming around a second time and hammering for two to three seconds.

If I hold the trigger for 30 seconds I'm going to go way over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back