Will 0w help this noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Also we are in NY so our Temps right now are 40 over night. But this makes noise at all "cold" starts. I figured that it could be related to oil not getting to the valve train quick enough, hence why I was thinking 0w to get it there a little faster

Not at 40F. You could try the process of elimination. Try a different brand filter. If that doesn't work try moving up a grade to 5W30. I'm thinking 5W30 is going to help.
If that doesn't work and it is still bothering you then you'd have to consider a mechanical fix, as mentioned in this thread. I'd try the easy stuff first.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
What's typically the quietest full syn 5w30?

My guess would be a high mileage synthetic.

I had a 2010 Forte and those engines are noisy. It was noisy on dealer bulk and it stayed noisy on fresh M1 5W-20. Just follow the OLM & keep it topped off on whatever oil you use.

Chain tensioner? Does it sound like chain rattle or the tic-tic of DI engine? Does the sound go away quickly or persist? If quickly, 1-4 seconds, it could easily be the tensioner as it builds up oil pressure. I changed one at the three year point on a Nissan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back