Mercedes F1 to run thicker oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
"Those parameters will include, but are not limited to, a different and more conservative oil specification."

How does this translate into "thicker"??

Paddy Lowe confirmed there will be a minimal reduction in power as they will use a higher viscosity oil in an interview with Ted Kravitz today after FP3 at Suzuka.

Misleading title when associated with the link. How does "conservative" equate to thicker?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Misleading title when associated with the link. How does "conservative" equate to thicker?

That's what I interpreted as well. You can read whatever you want into that article.

Originally Posted By: wemay

OK, Petronas are out there with their reduction in viscosity (MOFT), and aggressive use of friction modifiers.

So to be "more conservative", do they use less FM ??? ... more bearing failures if they do.

They have to be going back a step or two in their campaign, which equates to more frictional losses...aka, thicker...we don't know the size of the steps that they have been taking to get to the failure point on their overall balance of Viscosity and FM...which has currently failed.

Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if they are keeping an oil with the same kinematic viscosity and moving to one with a higher shear viscosity (HTHS.) Similar to the new CK4 and FA4 diesel oils.

Sounds to me like they're just reverting back to pre-failure engine parameters. Not that they've come to an AhHa moment where this is a fix...

From the supplied link by the OP

"Hamilton will revert to the engine he used in Singapore for the Japanese GP this weekend, while Rosberg will continue with the power unit he ran in Malaysia. As a precaution, Mercedes is introducing revised running parameters for the works team, as well as customers Williams, Force India and Manor.

Those parameters will include, but are not limited to, a different and more conservative oil specification...

However, those changes have been delayed until Mercedes has conducted further analysis from stripping Hamilton's failed unit."

We're getting way ahead of ourselves.

wemay, so in what general direction would a less aggressive lubricant regime, that included an (advertised) minimal loss in power take ?

so as not to get ahead of ourselves, we should maybe go back to basics...the premise of going back a step when you have identified that the current step is one too far...wouldn't you agree ?

Yes, i would but there is so little information shared in the article that i would hate to jump to any conclusion. Especially when the title simplifies the issue to being just a matter of lubricant viscosity.

Was the lubricant used during the Singapore race thicker? Was that the only difference between these engines? I don't know.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: supercity

Paddy Lowe confirmed there will be a minimal reduction in power as they will use a higher viscosity oil in an interview with Ted Kravitz today after FP3 at Suzuka.

Time machine? FP3 is nearly 12 hours away. No technical input because there's not even enough to speculate on.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C

Time machine? FP3 is nearly 12 hours away. No technical input because there's not even enough to speculate on.

That should read FP2

Originally Posted By: Brad_C

That should read FP2

Yeah, I know. I had nothing else to contribute because it's all the most veiled speculation. What does "more conservative" mean in the context of that engine failure? Lots of heat but very little light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back