5/32'' tread left after 40K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
...On my Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums rated for 60K miles. I make sure to balance/rotate regularly. Would you guys say the wear is good?

I'd say they have 10K miles more left in them before wet performance takes a hit and noise increases.

They started with 8/32" of usable tread (10/32" - 2/32" legal wearout). After 40k, you've eaten through 5/32", which is 8k miles per 1/32" of tread, and you have 3/32" to go. If they keep wearing at the same rate, you should have 20-24k miles before they get to the wear bars which is, frankly, pretty bang-on to their stated warranty.

It sounds like you're like me, and you replace tires before they're legally worn out. I usually start getting "the bug" at about 4/32" of tread depth, which is right where you'll be in another 10k miles.

I'd be satisfied with that wear trend, yes.

the wear nearer to the end always seems to take longer too, so as far as the wear, you are good. whether you like the tires or not compared to fresh rubber is up to you to say.

I haven't measured my AT3's but eyeball puts them in the same ballpark after 45k miles. They started with 13/32nd IIRC, though.

A lot depends upon your driving style. We always get far more than the rated mileage out of tires, but most of our driving is straight ahead at 55 MPH. Someone who lives in a city does far more turning and wears the tires faster.

We had a set of Michelins on a Subaru that went somewhere around 102,000 miles-the tires were rated at 80,000 or 90,000. They still had 4/32 or 5/32 on them, but they were replaced due to age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back