Military truck filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most military vehicles arent designed with long term service in mind. They carry troops from point A to point B. If it breaks down and a field mech cant get it going they abandon it and jump in another vehicle. If the air filter is clogged and the engine shuts down they might just remove the air filter and hammer down.

The desert vehicles are usually equipped with snorkles located with an inlet up high to cut down on the ground dust/dirt like the use in Australia.

I read somewhere that the British Army started using cyclonic filters on tanks in the Western Desert in 1941. These don't clog, which would be important in the Western Desert.

I'd guess they still use them, though these days Dyson apparently has a patent on the idea (?) so maybe they can't afford to.

Sometimes military trucks are offloaded by planes and parachuted to the ground. I think the bigger concern is the chute opening and the truck landing ok. If the truck lands ok then that unit is deemed ok. If the question of air filters comes up, the question is probably does it have one on there? If yes, then it's ok.

Military trucks have multi-stage air filters, just like industrial trucks and equipment.

Usually the first stage is simply designed to let the largest debris drop out of the air stream, then a filter media for medium particles, and a final filter for fine particles.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Most military vehicles arent designed with long term service in mind. They carry troops from point A to point B. If it breaks down and a field mech cant get it going they abandon it and jump in another vehicle. If the air filter is clogged and the engine shuts down they might just remove the air filter and hammer down.

The desert vehicles are usually equipped with snorkles located with an inlet up high to cut down on the ground dust/dirt like the use in Australia.

You weren't in the same military I was.

Everything was old. In the late '80's early 90's we were still using Vietnam era trucks, etc.

Heck, there are 3rd generation B-52 pilots flying the same planes their grandfathers flew.

I'd say the opposite is true, they want the stuff to last as long as possible.

We were doing oil analysis to detect problems and determine when an oil change was needed.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Everything was old. In the late '80's early 90's we were still using Vietnam era trucks, etc.

Heck, there are 3rd generation B-52 pilots flying the same planes their grandfathers flew.

We were doing oil analysis to detect problems and determine when an oil change was needed.
Nothing wrong with a good deuce and half.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

My dad was a mech in vietnam. I think i remember him telling me they used toilet paper oil filters and the air filters were beat off if they were dirty...he didnt talk much about Nam.

My best friend was a E-5 mech in desert storm he mostly worked on Humvees and Hemmtts

I would say the aircraft and ships are different than the land vehicles..i can see where they would want them in tip top shape for years of service.

I have to say I was not sad to see the CUCV go away. I had an M1009 as XO and we had a few dozen M1028s carrying signal gear.

Just wanted to say I operate semi trucks in extremely dusty conditions in a paper mill and with stock filtration and 20k miles short haul see 3ppm silicon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back