100k Mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than a thermostat housing at 88k, been a pretty trouble free car. Replaced both headlight housings, (OPT7 LED bulbs) the cowl underneath the windshield, and a new set of OEM rims, and it's still looking and running like a new car.

Trying to keep it till 200k, which would be about 4 more years. Fun to drive, and gets 33mpg regularly with mixed country road and city driving...(and sometimes like I'm on a race course). Uses a half quart of oil per 1000 miles, but I keep it topped off, and it has never gotten worse.

All in all, very happy.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
N/A?

Yes. I knew better than to mess with the turbo. This one has plenty of speed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: montero1
N/A?

Do you do your own Oil changes? I've heard they are a pain to do on that car. The stealership in Canada charges around $250 for an oil change.

Originally Posted By: JC1
N/A?

Do you do your own Oil changes? I've heard they are a pain to do on that car. The stealership in Canada charges around $250 for an oil change.

Simple oil changes. Filter on top, drain plug very easily accesible, no cover to remove underneath. I could do it in 15 mins if I wanted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
N/A?

Simple oil changes. Filter on top, drain plug very easily accesible, no cover to remove underneath. I could do it in 15 mins if I wanted.

looks like a good candidate for and oil extraction/pump system.
Congrats, you did good.

now don't let use hangin', what oil did you used? trans?

looks like a good candidate for and oil extraction/pump system.
Congrats, you did good.

now don't let use hangin', what oil did you used? trans? [/quote]

Transmission gets Redline MTL...shifts like butter even when the temperature is below zero and even after a 50k run looked like the day I put it in.

I use whatever engine oil is on sale... I try to stay with synthetic, but I have used petroleum when I'm near the end of an oil change interval which is 10,000 miles. Makes no sense for me to use anything real fancy when I'm replacing 5 quarts of oil in 10k. Usually I start off with something BMW LL-01, and then after that I just put whatever else in to top off.

Over the summer I started using Royal Purple 40 weight and it did seem to slow consumption and quiet things down.

That's quite a bit of oil consumption.
Glad to hear you are ok with that.

My daily Focus has about the same mileage. I recently re-discovered my rear main seal is leaking. I never notice as there's no drips on the garage floor and no difference on the dipstick between 5k mile OCI's of conventional. Only way I knew was from getting underneath to replace a torque mount. More of a "sweat" than a leak though. I'll keep truckin' until the leak becomes worse, then consider replacing the car.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
That's quite a bit of oil consumption.
Glad to hear you are ok with that.

My daily Focus has about the same mileage. I recently re-discovered my rear main seal is leaking. I never notice as there's no drips on the garage floor and no difference on the dipstick between 5k mile OCI's of conventional. Only way I knew was from getting underneath to replace a torque mount. More of a "sweat" than a leak though. I'll keep truckin' until the leak becomes worse, then consider replacing the car.

I can live with .5 quarts per 1000 miles.

I can live with .5 quarts per 1000 miles.

My 1995 3 Series has consumed a quart of oil every 2500 miles since new. No biggie- at 144k miles it is still running great.

And really it's probably only 4.5 quarts per 10k because when I get to 10,000, obviously I'm not going to top up, I'm just going to change it.
grin.gif

You know your car has a bad rep when getting to 100k without trouble is a big deal.

The S models do have a bad rap, and rightfully so. It's not a big deal, just showing that Minis can be decent cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back