NuFinish and silicone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read on GJ that something about it containing silicone that any time after using it on your paint any future waxes will not work right. It said it was very involving to remove the silicone residue to correct this condition.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I read on GJ that something about it containing silicone that any time after using it on your paint any future waxes will not work right. It said it was very involving to remove the silicone residue to correct this condition.

I bet. Probably the maker of some high priced polymer wax saying that.

You're supposed to do an alcohol wipe as a final step before you apply any serious sealant anyway. I wouldn't stress over it as long as you're not doing something ridiculous like applying Opticoat right on top of some NuFinish.

Or, since you've already done the deed and used NuFinish, why not keep using it? I find that the few who actually use it use it for life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You're supposed to do an alcohol wipe as a final step before you apply any serious sealant anyway. I wouldn't stress over it as long as you're not doing something ridiculous like applying Opticoat right on top of some NuFinish.

Or, since you've already done the deed and used NuFinish, why not keep using it? I find that the few who actually use it use it for life.

It really is good wax. The more and more I spend big money on waxes, I wonder why I strayed... when Nufinish is so easy to put on, take off, and lasts a long time.

I use it on a fair amount of vehicles and constantly switch back-and-forth between brands. As with any wax/sealant preparation is the most important step. I've never seen a product fail to it adhere to the paint when the surface was properly prepped.

You're supposed to do an alcohol wipe as a final step before you apply any serious sealant anyway...

Not per the Meguiar's recommended process.

Originally Posted By: buck91
You're supposed to do an alcohol wipe as a final step before you apply any serious sealant anyway...

OK. Is that on your little tin of Gold Class?

An isopropyl wipedown is standard practice for inspection after paint correction, or for prepping the surface so your sealant can have the strongest bond.

Industry. Standard. Practice.

No problem at all, use Prep-All on it before applying the sealer, this is exactly what this product is made for. When I prep for paint its a must that nothing be left on the paint or you get fish eyes.

Quote:
Prep-All™ is an effective, fast acting wax and grease remover for many automotive surfaces. It should be used prior to sanding to prolong the life of sandpaper and again after sanding as a clean-up agent prior to applying top coats. Prep-All™ removes old wax build-up before re-application of new wax to promote an even, mirror-like finish. It is also great for removing silicone and road film.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/prep-all-professional-grade-13.5-oz.-esw362/99987656-P

Edit: I also give the panel a final wipe down with IPA before tacking a spraying.

Last edited:

An isopropyl wipedown is standard practice for inspection after paint correction, or for prepping the surface so your sealant can have the strongest bond.

I don't use Gold Class. Or actually any meg's wax at this at this time unless you count D156 after routine washes. But to satisfy your judgemental sarcasm here is the meg's web page on it. The megs online forum has much more details but generally they don't recommend for or against the IPA wipe down.

http://www.meguiars.com/m-en/5-steps/

I thought you don't let solvents touch your paint as you mentioned in a previous thread....IPA is a solvent.

Most lighter fluids are naptha. Naptha is a solvent. Naptha is a solvent used in car wax and other auto paint products like wax and grease remover (among others like mineral spirits). So if you have been applying carnauba waxes especially to your cars, chances are you have been putting lighter fluid on the paint in small amounts. If you were doing it before the low V.O.C. era, you were putting quite a bit on your paint. When you see "Petroleum Distillates" on a product, its got solvents like the one you are railing against in it. My Finish Kare Pink Wax absolutely stinks of mineral spirits.

Solvents are not aggressive on their own...it matters what finish you are putting them on. Shellac for instance. You can dump lacquer thinner all over it and it won't hurt it...but alcohol will destroy it. Alcohol won't hurt lacquer though but lacquer thinner will destroy it.

Last edited:
Look, I get it. Someone brought up that little nugget before, as if dumping lighter fluid onto your paint and rubbing rubbing rubbing is the same thing as applying wax, which was designed to be applied to paint.

It's the stupid [censored] comparison I've ever heard.

Or in this thread, to suggest that I didn't know isopropyl was a solvent, or that an IPA wipedown is the somehow same as some of the asinine ways people like to remove sticker residue. Clay bar? No, let's jump straight to [censored] acetone or kerosene! Someone suggested GASOLINE. And these types of suggestions were supported!

Look, do what you want to your car, but it's incredibly petty to assume that because I suggested a clay bar and say "solvents won't touch my paint" that I included an industry standard, mild alcohol wipe to remove reside. It's idiotic to assume I was referring to anything but what was being discussed in the thread.

And then to dig it back up weeks later? Please. [removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back