Dodge Trucks Dual Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys ever wonder why only Dodge trucks that come from the factory with dual exhaust?

Meanwhile - Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and Nissan full size trucks come with single exhaust. Most cars on the road today are coming with dual exhaust; even the four cylinder cars. I think dual exhaust gives the car or truck a cleaner - less polluting look.

2016-ram-laramie-limited-6_1280x0w.jpg

Dual exhaust costs more to replace, granted I suppose most exhausts last pretty long today. I do agree it looks neater but unless any benefit, I would likely still choose Ford over Dodge for a truck, although I prefer the look of the Dodge Ram.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You guys ever wonder why only Dodge trucks that come from the factory with dual exhaust?

Meanwhile - Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and Nissan full size trucks come with single exhaust. Most cars on the road today are coming with dual exhaust; even the four cylinder cars. I think dual exhaust gives the car or truck a cleaner - less polluting look.

2016-ram-laramie-limited-6_1280x0w.jpg

Dodge only does this on the higher trim levels. Not the base model. I haven't crawled underneath one to see if it's true dual exhaust or just for show.

Maybe someone else knows

My 2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Big Horn has dual exhaust tips.

There's a crossover pipe past the transmission (well after the cats) cross-connecting the 2 lines, I suppose to help keep things equalized if 1 side starts to plug up (it gets to flow through the other side).

It's an option, not standard as I recall from the window sticker, that was lumped into in the Big Horn package.

I think Dodge did good with their dual exhaust option and how it blends nice with the bumper....but that HUGE RAM emblem on the tailgate - that is hideous looking and the 1st thing I would remove.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
How in the world does dual exhaust look "less polluting" ???

Because whenever I see news footage of a gross polluter belching out smoke, it's always a single exhaust.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
That's wacky.

LOL
lol.gif

Dodge is all about bling over substance or capability in their pickups. They are the lease capable of the 1/2 tons.

IMHO dual exhaust like that is dumb. When I'm in and out of the bed it's always at the back bumper. Last thing I want to have to worry about is burning a leg on a hot exhaust. As usual Ford and GM got that important detail right.

Some vehicles have switched from dual exhausts back to single. It's generally about appearance over function. Some vehicles have gone back and forth over time.

The first gen Acura MDX, for example, had both styles. 2001-2003 had a single muffler exhaust system (on the left in this picture). 2004-2006 models had a dual muffler system (on the right in this picture).

11836d1067975961-2004-mdx-exhaust-acura-mdx-rear.jpg

^^^ That's not my photo, and I can't explain the white skull mask in the garage window!

The 2007-2013 MDX kept the dual muffler system.

2013-Acura-MDX-left-rear-view.jpg

The 2014 MDX has gone back to a single muffler system with a hidden tailpipe.

acura-mdx-elite-hidden-exhaust.jpg

It's really all about the image the automaker wants to portray. Through the 2000s, there was a focus on horsepower and aggressive appearance. Lately, there's been renewed attention on efficiency. I told my dad, when they first visited us with their then-new 2014 MDX, that I presume they got rid of the dual exhaust because they were going for a "greener" appearance, he said that's exactly what the salesperson said. It's probably that way in their training materials from Acura. They're trying to draw less attention to the "power" of the vehicle.

Dodge/Ram has long been about an aggressive perception with their trucks. "Yes, it has a Hemi!" They're the first, and so far only, one to have frenched-in dual outlet exhaust from the factory. To be fair, pretty much every fullsize truck south of the Mason-Dixon line has an aftermarket exhaust with a Flowmaster setup just the way the Dodge boys have done it from the factory. I think that's a little less in vogue today than it used to be (aftermarket duals), but Dodge was following a real trend with many of its buyers by offering what they wanted from the factory.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Because whenever I see news footage of a gross polluter belching out smoke, it's always a single exhaust.

That would probably be a diesel with a "smoke tune" , only gassers come with those dual tips you pictured.

The system on our 2014 Hemi is 2 into 1 just under the engine. 2 normal sized pipes from the exhaust manifold join into a HUGE single pipe, then it splits back into 2 near the rear. Very low restriction setup for a single pipe system.

Perfect tone inside the cab, I can only notice it when I release all 395 HP. And the frenched in look at least differentiates it from every other pickup with some aftermarket junk hanging down and so loud they turn heads. At least it doesn't look like an after thought like many vehicles I see, it is part of the styling as it should be.

And a big HAW! to the folks who still rant about RAM pickups because they can't tow or haul tons of junk while drag racing. Ours is PERFECT for what we needed, absolutely one of the more satisfying purchases we have made in the last several years. Completely perfect now for almost 40k miles of HARD wifey driving!

It would be interesting to compare the tone on my 390 HP 2012 with its setup to your 2014 395 HP with its setup. No trip to Florida in my near future though.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
It would be interesting to compare the tone on my 390 HP 2012 with its setup to your 2014 395 HP with its setup. No trip to Florida in my near future though.

Agreed. I always love to track the evolution of things as they are changed. One of the reasons I bought a "leftover" 2014 was that it was a very late production unit that had a ton of 2015 updates on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back