Why Mustangs keep crashing @ Cars&Coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mustang is designed to be a drag car. Huge engine and a chassis perfect for blasting around town between stoplights. They corner, but they also oversteer insanely easily, which is fun unless you're a [censored] driver like most people. Recipe for disaster, or in this case entertainment now that everyone has a video camera in their pocket.

They should offer them with some driving skill courses. I bet the insurance companies might even help. I will qualify for 55 plus if I take a drivers ed course for us old farts.

Only one my insurance will offer discount is the 55 plus. I tried asking about any others and no go for MN. Will see if any differant in TX next month. Brownsville area is supposed to have one of the lowest accidents rates in US. My luck it has a high theft ratio.

Most people are ultra [censored] drivers. The GT350 with that motor is a awesome track car......that oversteer can get that car around a track really fast.....

Come into a corner to fast, just turn the wheel and drift it instead the front wheels not hooking up and you wreck the front end

Last edited:
Oversteer? A corner? Pull yourselves together. This kind of depraved sacrilegious filth is not something to be discussed. Stop this at once. Have you no shame? It's un-American. Straight lines only.

A corner? I have my self-respect.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ordinarybloke
Oversteer? A corner? Pull yourselves together. This kind of depraved sacrilegious filth is not something to be discussed. Stop this at once. Have you no shame? It's un-American. Straight lines only.

I've seen Tony Stewart drift that flying brick around corners at Watkins Glenn
smile.gif

Carry on.

Originally Posted By: ordinarybloke

Carry on.

haha. true man true

Because Mustangs are plentiful and for the most part cheap. Plenty of idiots that own them, yet do not respect them.

Quote:
I've seen Tony Stewart drift that flying brick around corners at Watkins Glenn smile

Please keep this debased predilection for perversion to yourself. You disgust me.

Last edited:
Your biases are about 10 years outdated. The later years Mustangs handle just fine at the track, even the solid axle ones.

As others have stated it's poor drivers driving over their skill level. That and Mustangs are plentiful and cheap.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
They should offer them with some driving skill courses. I bet the insurance companies might even help. I will qualify for 55 plus if I take a drivers ed course for us old farts.
I was an AARP instructor for their safe driving course which has turned into a big nothing the past few years. Best bet is to take the National Safety Council's defensive driving course.Be very wary of any AARP endorsement.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
They still spin very easily.

Like just about any rear drive car? FRS/BRZ/GT86 has like 150 wheel horsepower and Prius tires, and sure enough it'll spin. Mustangs aren't some dangerous vehicle.

Last edited:
Quote:

I don't see why this or any of it is criticism.
A Mustang is not for the wise is it?
Its raison d'etre is it is mindless. It's supposed to be funny, even if the sorts that drive them aren't always in on the joke.

Last edited:
I own a 2013 5.0 Mustang GT with some lite mods that a friend bought me when he found out that I have terminal cancer. "Nice friend!" It's a great car but has to be respected when I first got the car I got into it and going from 1st to 2nd gear around a slight corner the back end got loose from spinning and I nearly crashed. With cold tires or the wrong tires the car can brake traction going straight on dry road when floored and you could loose control.

One of the problems with Mustangs is many guys mod them without addressing the suspension or better tires and it can lead to disaster! Even putting on cheep hard compound tires can be a real bad combination some guys will buy expensive wheels but put on cheep tires to save a buck and they do not stick when pushed.

On that note if a Mustang GT is set up correctly with some suspension work with the correct tires they can deliver fantastic handling for both street and track.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

Like just about any rear drive car? FRS/BRZ/GT86 has like 150 wheel horsepower and Prius tires, and sure enough it'll spin. Mustangs aren't some dangerous vehicle.

Actually, those cars you listed are pretty tough to kick sideways on dry pavement.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I own a 2013 5.0 Mustang GT with some lite mods that a friend bought me when he found out that I have terminal cancer. "Nice friend!" It's a great car but has to be respected when I first got the car I got into it and going from 1st to 2nd gear around a slight corner the back end got loose from spinning and I nearly crashed. With cold tires or the wrong tires the car can brake traction going straight on dry road when floored and you could loose control.

One of the problems with Mustangs is many guys mod them without addressing the suspension or better tires and it can lead to disaster! Even putting on cheep hard compound tires can be a real bad combination some guys will buy expensive wheels but put on cheep tires to save a buck and they do not stick when pushed.

On that note if a Mustang GT is set up correctly with some suspension work with the correct tires they can deliver fantastic handling for both street and track.

Best post in here, and 100% correct.

Sorry to hear about your cancer.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

Actually, those cars you listed are pretty tough to kick sideways on dry pavement.

I mean, whats "tough"? A friends BRZ on the stock terrible tires would spin them very easily. Now that he has real tires it sticks very very well. Proper conditions for both vehicles and neither will kick out randomly. With proper tires and temperature, you have to try to slide a Mustang too. The guy in the GT350 video had his foot flat, you can hear it rev bouncing. Do that in any performance vehicle and you're going to have a bad time if you dont know what you're doing.

EDIT: Camprunner summed things up nicely. Point is, "fish tailing" is not a Mustang only phenomenon. Is it easier with something with torque? Very yes. In most cases you can clearly see the stupidity in the videos showing them crash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back