Will 0w help this noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriends 2012 kia Forte has some valve train noise when first started cold. It specs 5w20 oil and I've used that since we've owned it. I'm wondering if a 0w oil would help the noise buy getting oil to the valve train faster at start up?

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
My girlfriends 2012 kia Forte has some valve train noise when first started cold. It specs 5w20 oil and I've used that since we've owned it. I'm wondering if a 0w oil would help the noise buy getting oil to the valve train faster at start up?

I doubt it unless its way below zero outside. Moving up a grade to a 5W30 might help, especially since the cold weather hasn't set in yet.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I doubt it unless its way below zero outside. Moving up a grade to a 5W30 might help, especially since the cold weather hasn't set in yet.

+1

when you say cold do you mean like 70degrees? or like below freezing cold.

Doubtful that 0w will make a difference, but maybe?
I think it's less about the 0w and just a different oil that still is 5w-20 spec could also have just as much of a (small) chance to make a difference for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+1

+2, move to 5w30. Even better ACEA A5/B5 5w30

It won't most likely. My CR-V is noisy and clattery even with properly adjusted valves and I've used 0w before with zero difference. Still 235k on the clock, no issues. Just noisy.

Those engines are not the quietest but they are good engines use a good 5w20 such as Mobil 1

How many miles are on that engine?

What filter are you running? I might try the factory filter if you are not using that. Some kia/hyundai's are noisier with some filters.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
Change the filter or clean the cam shaft passages and ir other passages. Maybe a flush?

Running a mild solvent flush on a 4 year old Korean car with a mild harmless noise? Why? Trying to fix a problem that isn't there.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Change the filter or clean the cam shaft passages and ir other passages. Maybe a flush?

Running a mild solvent flush on a 4 year old Korean car with a mild harmless noise? Why? Trying to fix a problem that isn't there.

Or he could just do, like you, and wait the problem to become catastrophic. Noise is problem. If not, why bother to open a thread if is harmless (now)?

Does the Kia Forte have adjustable or hydraulic cam followers? If they are adjustable, they may need attention. The purpose of hydraulic cam followers is to keep the zero clearance at all times regardless of engine temp. FWIW

Oldtommy

I know 3 people who have those Kia Forte. All three cars had that valve train start up noise no matter the temperature. Every start after 3+ hours of sitting made the noise. All three cars now have absolutely no start up noise. The secret? Castrol Magnatec. 0w20-5w20-5w30-10w30. All viscosities make that magic happen. I witnessed it first hand, so give that a shot. I'm 99.99% sure the noise will be gone.

It has also been my experience, for whatever reason, that Castrol oils run quieter.

My engine is known for (harmless) chain noise on initial start and Castrol made it stone-cold silent vs Mobil 1. Strange phenomenon.

Trying the factory filter as stated above is another very valid option.

Originally Posted By: jayg

Or he could just do, like you, and wait the problem to become catastrophic. Noise is problem. If not, why bother to open a thread if is harmless (now)?

What are you talking about? I've never had any catastrophic engine failure and I'm also not paranoid. You folks that hear ANYTHING slightly different in your car immediately blame the oil, flush it with kerosene, run 6 changes of Pennzoil Platinum for 300 mile intervals and expect something to be healed look ridiculous.

You might get better results with 5W-30 and a Kia oil filter. Kia issued a TSB regarding problems encountered with non-OEM filters.

Forgot to mention guys I only use the kia Hyundai filters for this car. I'm aware of the tsb for the filters. Also this engine is NOT a GDI engine. Ive only tried pennzoil platinum 5w20 in this car so I'm not sure if another oil will help or not. I'd like to stick to full synthetic oil as my girlfriend isn't the quickest at reminding me when it's time for a change. And we drive it often to where I'd rather not change the oil extremely frequently. We have 96k on this car and average 25k miles a year.

Last edited:
Also we are in NY so our Temps right now are 40 over night. But this makes noise at all "cold" starts. I figured that it could be related to oil not getting to the valve train quick enough, hence why I was thinking 0w to get it there a little faster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back