5w30 lucas synthetic for honda big red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda guys say 10w30 but kinda seem like yahoos lol.i figured id get better advice here! I bought a big red 600 miles great shape etc.from nephew in law a nerd couldnt remember service or find manuals.so i tune up change oil.pretty much right away notice trans slips cold intermittent.so i get on some forums find out the 10w30 is wet clutch specific.i used high grade conventional duh! Anyway dont think any harm is done but im having trouble finding oil local that meets everything they say to use.aka 10w30 j a s o ma.everything local is 4t 10w40.on the forums (honda)overall problems with slipping if any weight used except 30.my question is i found lucas synthetic 5w30 j a s o ma and wonder what you guys think?i want to change oil and get going today as im cutting trees and the big red sure would be handy! But i dont want to do anything that would hurt it either!.soany input,tips,experience,advice greatly appreciated! Thank you! Lance.

I apologize but I didn't understand much of what you said but I cant see why 10w-30 or 10w-40 wouldn't work. I wouldn't use Lucas. Use any high quality brand. Pennzoil, Valvoline etc

don't judge the trans util it's warm, most cycle oils are fine..6,800 on my rincon (same drive train)

B Gallagher! I didnt know what kind of oil to use when i bought big red.i used conventional oil.transmission slips.wanted advice on using correct or a good oil for oil change.

This may not be good advice but its all I have to give:

Just use 4T to clean up the mess you did with automotive oil, then after 15-20 hours go to a Honda shop and get your 30 grade JASOMx oil. Lucas professional racing stuff is good - everything else is c%@%!

Last edited:
I went in town and found a couple brands in 4t 10w40.also found lucas full synthetic 10w30. Now a couple more questions.im asking here because guys answer fast and give sensible answers.but it seems on the honda forums the big red engine oil pump is viscosity sensitive.at least what i gather,the specs say 10w30 i found that in the synthetic lucas.one member here suggested not to use lucas?i found the 4t 10w40 in mobil which it seems alot of people use.i also have a power sports shop that opens at 430 and i can check there.i would have bought lucas if the member hadn't said not too.but when i think about it i cant remember reading any forum anyone using lucas in their s×s.i would have bought 4t mobil or another brand if didn't think the weight was going to damage engine/clutch slip.am i over thinking this?whatever oil i buy do i need to get some flush and run in engine to help wash conventional oil out also to switch to synthetic?not worry about it?dont go synthetic?hopefully you fellaswith experience will shoot me some good answers thanks again!

What kind of oil did you change with that made it slip? I had trouble deciphering the original post. All I see is "high grade conventional".

Originally Posted By: lancelot50
B Gallagher! I didnt know what kind of oil to use when i bought big red.i used conventional oil.transmission slips.wanted advice on using correct or a good oil for oil change.

ah ok. What about synchromesh? It is a long shot but I would think that would work pretty well in your unit.

I know ik ober thinking this but if oil weight is that critical to the oil pump especially with winter soon.i want to stay with 10w30.if the oil weight is not i can find mobil 1 4t or rotella.i just read on a pioneer forum a guy swears by 4t mobil110w40.i can buy that easily enough too! If i called honda naturally buy their oil yeah 2 hours away lol.then the 10w30 here in town is lucas and tje memher here said dont use it! I feel comfortable buying the mobil1 but im concerned about the oil pump i guess.

I was able to catch my powersports shop open.she had gn4 honda 10w40. Big red manial specifoes 0-30 10-30.so i had jer call honda/tech! He said no problems just dont hop on and go.let it warm up!so i used that and she shifts great!

Run honda gn4 in 10w30 or 10w40 flavor for best results.

Those 700s are super sensitive.

The new 1000s are even worse.

Honda overthought the trans design. Like always.

I have a 2006 Rincon 680 (bought new) and all I ever use is AMSOIL 4-Stroke 0W-40 Synthetic. I could start it and drive away and it would shift perfectly. Never had a problem using 0W-40.

Honda does not make a drop of oil, they out source it to the lowest bidder who puts the Honda label on the bottle.

I have been using Rotella T5 10W30 SemiSyn for a couple of years in my 2014 Big Red. I've also used T6 5W40 in the winter. As long as it's JASO MA and not "energy conserving", you will be OK. 15W40 can be a little stiff in the winters if you live in the north. I use T6 in my Honda Rubicon and Kawisaki 650 twin.

I have been using 10/40 valvoline ATV oil that is designed for wet clutches for years in my Ranchers. Never a shift problem in the great north.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back