basic mountain bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg1

First - I know nothing about bikes, but would be capable of assembly/repairs etc.

I'm looking for a basic mountain bike for country gravel roads. I like the hybrids but like the tire size of the MTBs for the gravel application.

Looking on craigslist I can find for example a specialized hardrock sport (5 years old) for $200.

Or

I could just buy this for $400
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/5ht_new_xii.htm

A new hardrock has a MSRP of $420. Were the older ones superior in some way? If not $200 seem high so I lean toward just getting a new one.

I'm just looking for some basic advice and $400 would be my $ limit. I run for exercise the bike would be for leisure outings.

take care.

Fit and the seat are the most important things for a leisure bike, so you should to go to a bike shop and find something that works for you. A decent replacement seat is $50-80+ so you might be choosing your bike just based on which seat works for you. I'd prefer V-brakes as they just work for years and years, but maybe they aren't even an option anymore.

You might want to visit your local bike shop to do some test rides. Even if you buy online, if you have not ridden much, it might be hard to get a good fitting bike online as a first purchase.

My #1 piece of advice is to not get something cheap with steel wheels, the brake pads will not grip on those if they are the slightest bit damp. Wouldn't matter if it had disc brakes, but I doubt you'll ever see those on the kind of bike that would come with steel wheels.
You might be able to get a shop to swap to larger tires for you at minimal cost if you find a hybrid that you like with skinny tires, but you'd need to make sure they'd still clear the brakes without too much trouble. We've had Trek hybrids for 25 years and they are still functional, but they bog in sand with the narrow tires...only been a issue for us a couple of times.

Bikesdirect can be a good deal, if you know how to do the mechanical stuff yourself. Some shops won't touch them, or won't put them together for you--it's a bit like buying parts and expecting your mechanic to install for you. Sometimes that flies, sometimes not. If you go this route, I would get some bike tools while you are at it; you'll need them eventually anyhow. [I have a cheapo Spin Doctor set, and am buying "better" tools as I need them.]

The farther (and harder) you ride, the more important that the bike fit you. Sometimes it's better to buy at a store, eating the upfront cost, in order to get a bike that fits you, and performs to your expectations. Once past a noob stage one can start to shop around and get bikes & parts on the cheap. But it is a more expensive way to go. With your price limit used (or BD) is the way to go.

Older bikes can be a good deal, but if they are worn then they can be money pits. Buying a whole new bike can be much cheaper than replacing a bunch of worn components.

There are a few threads online, on bike forums, about BD. bikeforums.net has a few, and is a good place for bike knowledge. May help with background on BD, and you might also find some threads which could help you make a decision. BD's MSRP is their marketing tomfoolery, don't pay attention to it--they never sell at that price, so how is it MSRP? Their MSRP is the price you pay, since there is no haggling.

FWIW, I use this on-bike toolkit, with a tube stored in it. [Buy your tubes on line, save a few bucks.] I bought this pump, haven't used it, kinda wished I had bought this one instead, as I have the road version and like that one.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
My #1 piece of advice is to not get something cheap with steel wheels, the brake pads will not grip on those if they are the slightest bit damp. Wouldn't matter if it had disc brakes, but I doubt you'll ever see those on the kind of bike that would come with steel wheels.
You might be able to get a shop to swap to larger tires for you at minimal cost if you find a hybrid that you like with skinny tires, but you'd need to make sure they'd still clear the brakes without too much trouble. We've had Trek hybrids for 25 years and they are still functional, but they bog in sand with the narrow tires...only been a issue for us a couple of times.

+1 It's like buying a car. Have to see if you like how it drives.

Make sure whatever you get has decent components (derailleurs, cassette, shifters, brakes) that $425 Hardrock has bottom of the barrel Shimano Tourney components and no-name brakes.

Expensive bikes depreciate faster, so you might get a might be able to find a lightly used bike for $400 than a brand new one. Check Craigslist, many people buy bikes, thinking they'll ride them more than they do and then sell a few years later.

Look at a bike shop to look at bikes and get advice on what size frame you should be looking for.

As far as mountain bikes go, unequivocally buy used. Always.

There's a hord of yuppies out there chasing the latest model gimicks and dumping their last year pampered $2,000 bikes on craigslist for pennies, to keep up with their social circle.

High-end Specialized bikes from years 2000-2005 will outperform any new sub-$1500 bike of today and they can be had for $300'ish on CL. They weight around 22lbs. A new 22lb MTB costs more than $2K nowadays.

Last edited:
Where are you located in KS? If you're close to KCK I'd recommend RevolveKC at 554 Central Ave. It's a used bike shop... tons of bikes. I paid $125 for my Specialized, it's a 90's model. What you buy is based on what repairs you can handle. Older bikes will need something starting out, repack bearings etc. Shoot even new bikes depending on where you buy. Starting out I wouldn't buy one online.. you don't know what you want yet.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Where are you located in KS? If you're close to KCK I'd recommend RevolveKC at 554 Central Ave. It's a used bike shop... tons of bikes. I paid $125 for my Specialized, it's a 90's model. What you buy is based on what repairs you can handle. Older bikes will need something starting out, repack bearings etc. Shoot even new bikes depending on where you buy. Starting out I wouldn't buy one online.. you don't know what you want yet.

Thanks - good info! I'm a bit of a distance from KC, but do get there once in awhile.

take care.

What bike size are you looking for? looks like amazon has some clearance going on for bicycles in some sizes, very limited stock too so check out the specs and see if any interests you, examples:

$178***I think this is a steal at this price for a basic starting bike, the fork doesn't look like it has a lockout so if this is an issue for you probably go with one of the others*** for 53cm/Medium Polygon Bikes Adult Heist 2 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BDU...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

$311**doesn't look like it has lockout** for Medium/18" Polygon Bikes Premier 4 Hardtail https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194I...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

$278**doesn't look like it has lockout** for Small/16" Polygon Bikes Premier 4 Hardtail https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194I...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

$445***specs on this one is midrange full deore drivetrain for $445, would run alot more if you're looking at other brands it would be 2-3x the price, this is the one I would get if small fits you and you're willing to spend $445*** for Small/15" Polygon Bikes Siskiu 6 Hardtail https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BNG...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

$341**this one has lockout** for Medium/18" Polygon Bikes Xtrada 5 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194I...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck

There's a hord of yuppies out there chasing the latest model gimicks and dumping their last year pampered $2,000 bikes on craigslist for pennies, to keep up with their social circle.

High-end Specialized bikes from years 2000-2005 will outperform any new sub-$1500 bike of today and they can be had for $300'ish on CL. They weight around 22lbs. A new 22lb MTB costs more than $2K nowadays.

Are there any specific 2000-2005 Specialized models you'd recommend? Which ones are 22lbs?

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb

Are there any specific 2000-2005 Specialized models you'd recommend? Which ones are 22lbs?

It's called the M2 S-Works. Info here: http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/specialized-m2-s-works-vs-comp-524923.html

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb

It's called the M2 S-Works. Info here: http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/specialized-m2-s-works-vs-comp-524923.html

Thanks. I'll keep a lookout for one locally though they seem kinda rare. But if one pops up, I'll take a serious look.

BTW, what do you think of the new Kona Precepts and Honzos with the new aggressive frames (short chainstays, long front center). Hype or substance?

Originally Posted By: jg1
First - I know nothing about bikes, but would be capable of assembly/repairs etc.

I'm looking for a basic mountain bike for country gravel roads. I like the hybrids but like the tire size of the MTBs for the gravel application.

Looking on craigslist I can find for example a specialized hardrock sport (5 years old) for $200.

Or

I could just buy this for $400
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/5ht_new_xii.htm

A new hardrock has a MSRP of $420. Were the older ones superior in some way? If not $200 seem high so I lean toward just getting a new one.

I'm just looking for some basic advice and $400 would be my $ limit. I run for exercise the bike would be for leisure outings.

take care.

When I was new in biking, my friend recommended me to have a Nashbar AT1 29er Mountain Bike. This is a good bike for its price. Nice frame and descent components. I've had the bike for a few months now. It seems to be holding up pretty good. The fat 29" wheels role much easier on gravel and dirt. I bought the 21" frame with the 29" wheels and.I feel very comfortable on it. Almost zero assembly instructions. All around great bike!

Like others have stated I would suggest going to a local bike store doing test rides and being fitted to a size bikes that fits you. It does make a difference. My son bought a KONA SPLICE about 3 years ago for around 400 dollars. It is a good basic Mountain bike. If you want to step it up a bit I use a TREX MARLIN. Its a little more expensive than the KONA but it is a great bike that I would buy again. I did change out the seat on the MARLIN to something more comfortable.

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
Check Craigslist, many people buy bikes, thinking they'll ride them more than they do and then sell a few years later.

I bought a 2015 Trek Verve 3 this summer for $200 on Craigslist. Owner bought it last summer from the local bike shop in town; it's a $700 bike.

Around here, quality used "basic" mountain/comfort bikes (not the super high end full suspension downhill jobs) are very hard to find. Most "basic" bikes are Pacific Cycle big box specials. I looked for months. I had certain search criteria and filters set up and saved them as various bookmarks in Chrome, and I'd hit them all once a day, just to see anything new that's come up. I hit on the Trek about 6 hours after he posted it, and I was apparently the first of a number of responses he had before he replied, so I was lucky to have the first right of refusal on it. I met him in town, and there is not a single mark or scratch on the bike. I think he probably rode it a few times and then it sat in the garage.

Now it's hanging with the other bikes in the warm basement. I know I ride it more in two weeks than he rode it all year last year.

It's always good to go to a trusted local bike shop for your desired mountain bike. Even, you can seek right suggestion according to your necessities (if they are well-trusted). If they can provide you, it would be better for any other after sells service.

Otherwise, you must see different reliable mountain bike (under your budget limit) reviews, and most importantly the user remarks given in different online retailer sites. User remark is a great indicator of justifying the real performance and services provided by your desired mountain bike/bikes.

For making your choice a little bit narrower, you can consider any of the following mountain bikes-

-Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Hard Tail
-Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men's
-Nashbar Single Speed
-Mongoose Men's Status 2.2
-Diamondback Overdrive Expert 29er

Thank you.
smile.gif

What about a Trek 820 or Marlin 5? You can get leftover 2016s for under $400. I also like Trek because their customer service is fantastic. You can chat with them online at the Trek website over basic things like getting torque specs, or other technical issues. When I was looking at other makes like Kona or Giant, I couldn't even get a contact number or email address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back