Gm/chevrolet guys please help! 04 silverado airbag

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I went to change my cabin air filter on my 04 silverado. A video I found was of an 01 so I figured it would be the same. I pulled the kick panel off that covers the vents and blower motor on the passenger side, only to find that there was not spot to remove a filter. Come to find out that the 03 and up silverado don't have filters. Well I went to go and put the kick panel back on and there was one screw I just couldn't get. I get mad, sat up, punched the airbag section above the glove box and below the dashboard handle on the passenger side. I proceeded to try and put that screw in and couldn't get it. I gave up on that one. Then went back out to drive the truck lafter and the airbag light was on. Do you think it's related to me hitting it? I'm not sure why that would have caused anything. I don't believe there's any connectors other than the blower motor connecter behind that kick panel so I'm not sure anything could have gotten messed up just by removing and re installing the kick panel.

I don't have much sympathy for you, hitting your car out of anger. I would say hitting the air bag absolutely might trigger the light.

take is apart and recheck your the areas you opened up.How old are you?

The light isn't going to go away by itself. Once it's on, it's probably on for good. Might need to be reset with a scan tool.

I had a random airbag light in my previous VW. Took it to a VW shop and they scanned it and cleared it. Never came back. Was for a faulty sensor in the passenger seat. Luckily it was just a fluke.

But I'm guessing a connector in the dash came loose.

Horn works. No it wasn't the smartest thing to do but I don't see why me hitting it would make it do this. Honestly the hit wasn't any worse than hitting a nice NY pothole.

There is a kit you can buy $40, cut an opening where the filter would go, install the same cabin filter as the 01 silverado and use the kit to close up the opening. Look it up online. I've done it my previous 04 silverado and my current escalade. With regards to the airbag light, no doubt it's related to your violence. May need a scan tool to turn it off. And that little screw that kicked your [censored], be patient and keep trying to line it up til it catches. Took me like 10 minutes but I got it done. Good luck

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Does the horn/ buttons on the steering wheel work?

I doubt that he damaged the clockspring by punching the passenger side of the dash.

OP, you're gonna have to drop $60+ on a scan tool that can read SRS codes. I've heard that parts stores won't run restraint codes for liability reasons (or maybe just because they don't sell airbags).

Was the key on when you hit the dash>>

Either way you probably have to either take it to the stealer or go to a body shop to reset it. Hope there is no damage because it can cost some cash and i don't know about new york but here it will not pass inspection with the airbag light on.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Just not sure why the light would come on if nothing was damaged
Who says it wasn't damaged?

Your airbags won't work now if you get into an accident. If for any reason the light comes on on the dash, it must be fixed/code cleared for the airbags to work. They're disabled right now.

I get mad, sat up, punched the airbag section above the glove box and below the dashboard handle on the passenger side.

Learn to control your temper.
Lhen went back out to drive the truck lafter and the airbag light was on. Do you think it's related to me hitting it?

Yes. When you had your tantrum and hit the passenger side of the dashboard you either damaged or triggered something that has caused the warning light.
but I don't see why me hitting it would make it do this. Honestly the hit wasn't any worse than hitting a nice NY pothole.

There is a big difference between hitting a pothole and using your fist to directly hit the airbag.

If you don't have the ability to fix what you've just broken then you'll need to take it somewhere and have it fixed. It will be a fairly expensive lesson, but hopefully it will teach you to control your temper. There's no reason why something like a simple screw should make you resort to physical violence.

The computer set a code for the airbag system. You need to get a scanner and see what the code is. A parts store can scan for codes for free BUT they may or may not be able to scan airbag codes. At the store is work for, we only have a cheap, basic scanner that only does engine codes. Maybe other stores have better scanners that can do airbag codes. Anyway, finding out the code is the first step to diagnosing and fixing the problem.

Plot twist, you're working under the passenger footwell and you caught something in the wiring to the weight sensor in the passenger seat. Look around under that. Airbag stuff is typically (always?) yellow.

Code is b0092.

02-09-41-002A: Air Bag Lamp On, Passenger Air
Bag Indicator Always Reads OFF, DTC B0092 Set
(Repair Passenger Presence System (PPS) Sensor
Harness) - (Mar 24, 2004)
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2004 model year. Please discard Corporate
Bulletin Number 02-09-41-002 (Section 09 -- Restraints).
Condition
Some customers may comment that the Air Bag Lamp is on and the Passenger Air Bag indicator
always reads OFF. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC B0092 set.
Cause
The cause of this condition may be a shorted Passenger Presence System (PPS) sensor wire.
The PPS sensor harness is located under the front passenger seat. This harness may be pinched
between the seat frame and the track/riser.
Correction
Subject: Air Bag Lamp On, Passenger Air Bag Indicator Always
Reads OFF, DTC B0092 Set (Repair Passenger Presence
System (PPS) Sensor Harness)
Models: 2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2004 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
with Sensor Indicator Inflatable Restraint Front Passenger/Child
Presence Detector (RPO ALO)
Locate the PPS sensor (1) and inspect the harness for proper routing. If the harness is pinched
between the seat frame and the track/riser, use the procedure listed below to repair wire(s).
1. Move the front passenger seat to the full rearward and full tilt up position.
2. Loosen the seat frame to track/riser nut and remove the harness.
3. Tighten the seat frame to track/riser nut.
4. Repair any damaged wires. Refer to Wiring Repairs in the Wiring Systems sub-section of
the Service Manual.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor
Operation Description Labor Time
N6624
Wiring and/or Connector, Occupant
Safety - Repair
Use published labor
operation time
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that
may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the
equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin
applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the
information

Really confused guys. On the chevys they have the airbag off and auto switch right next to the radio. It's been on the off position since I got the truck and with the airbag light issue I decided to turn it to auto and the airbag light went off. I'm confused.

Did you adjust the seats, in particular the passenger seat, after noticing the light?

When you turn the ignition to on, does PASSENGER AIR BAG ON/OFF (both on and off) illuminate in the rear view mirror for about 5 seconds? That indicates the SDM (sensing & diagnostic module) has established communication with the PPS (passenger presence system).

Move the passenger seat around and see if the air bag DTC light in the cluster comes back on. It sounds like there is a pinched wire somewhere like the bulletin describes.

If what was causing the warning light is not an issue right now, such as the problem wire not being pinched currently, the light will go off. It will still store the code in history for 255 ignition cycles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back