China importing gasoline to New York

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read off Bloomberg News that China has a ship with close to 400k barrels of gas headed for New York. With the pipe line incident last month they saw the opportunity to import gas to the US. With the US auto market taking it in the shorts last month wouldn't be surprised to see some of their cars too:(

Maybe they will ship the cars and gas on the same boat
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Disposable car with one tank of gas.

The Flick your Bic of cars from China. The SUV is the BBQ lighter variant.

Maybe it has lead in the gasoline like a lot of their products. This gas would be great for older cars.Btw,why are we importing fuel,when north america has enough already.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The voters in this nation have sure let it go to heck.

+1. It's not the pols it is an electorate that votes for the bad ones in spite of facts showing why the bad ones are bad or why their policies are bad. That and voter apathy.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Maybe it has lead in the gasoline like a lot of their products. This gas would be great for older cars.Btw,why are we importing fuel,when north america has enough already.

Did you read the OP?

doesn't Buick import a small SUV from China? They did have a design center in China to upgrade Buicks to China standards, since US Buicks for years have been built as Chevy clones with no significant upgrades.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Sounds like they're doing us a favor. I dont get the anger.

There's some boofhead on the media ATM stirring up sentiment against China.

Agree, if it wasn't needed/ordered, it wouldn't be on the boat.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Disposable car with one tank of gas.

They've got cars available in Oz, ranging from junk to quite decent.

I can get a dual cab 4WD ute with a 2.8 Cummins, ZF gearbox, and Dana front and rear diffs, complete with dead cow interior for 60% of the price of a Hilux.

Nobody else makes much in the people mover segment either

http://www.ldvautomotive.com.au/vehicles...zfskaAqmZ8P8HAQ

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
doesn't Buick import a small SUV from China? They did have a design center in China to upgrade Buicks to China standards, since US Buicks for years have been built as Chevy clones with no significant upgrades.

Buick is a Marque brand for the emerging middle class in China and seen as a serious status symbol. I remember reading somewhere that the demand for the brand there was rising very fast.

We are rotten with fuel. Its not needed. Somebody is getting fat.....
Which is okay but your comment below isn't necessarily true.
Most of the stuff we import isn't needed and for many reasons.

Quote:
Agree, if it wasn't needed/ordered, it wouldn't be on the boat.

Well, someone bought this tanker load of fuel, so they apparently saw a need for it.
The Chinese refinery also shopped the fuel around and got the best price delivered NY, although the terminal was more likely in NJ.
The Chinese refinery apparently sees more demand for diesel than it does for gasoline, much as has been the case for European refiners in past decades, so the fuel came to the market with the most demand, and therefore highest delivered price.
Simple stuff.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Sounds like they're doing us a favor. I dont get the anger.

Nope, I want to pay $5 a gallon to my local bully instead of $3 to the Chinese on the boat.

They should have sent those tankers further South when we had that pipeline problem...nowhere to unload the gas down there, maybe???

Just hook up some hoses right to the ship and sell it direct to consumers at the harbor...
;^)

(before anybody jumps in to say I don't understand fuel infrastructure, which is true, the line above is in jest...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back