'08 Nissan Frontier - Ventilation Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last week, I've noticed that my ventilation fan doesn't always come on immediately when I turn my ignition key on. Sometimes, I'll get a pause of 15-20 seconds before it kicks on. Once it's on it works fine. No noise, no kicking in and out, nothing. This truck just has a fan knob - there isn't any higher end system in it that tries to maintain a set temperature, etc.

A year or two back, my AC would not come on but the blower did work. I replaced a fan resistor in the glove compartment which solved that problem.

I'm not an electrical expert by any means. Could this be the resistor going out again? Are there potentially relays in the circuit which might be sticking? I'd appreciate any thoughts on where to look first....

I suspect the motor is binding a bit but bouncing over bumps gets it going. A binding motor can draw enough current to burn out a fan resistor.

I had the same issue early this summer and I removed the fan(xterra)and noticed it was pretty resistant to turning but needed the AC and put it back and it promptly blew the fuze. Amazon prime for I think $34 and was back in business two days latter. Better air now.

The binding/resistance to turning line of reasoning certainly makes sense. $34 would be a pretty painless fix in the scheme of things, although I'm a bit afraid to think about how hard it may be to get to the fan motor. Knowing my luck, the whole dash has to come off.

Edit: Just found a nice "how-to" on the Nissan Frontier forum for the replacement process. Looks Pretty Straightforward

Last edited:
I think the hardest part for me was finding a 5 mm socket and extension. Amazon warehousedeals has one for 37.93. Usually all that's wrong is packaging not pristine.

Last edited:
Thanks man. I just grabbed the Warehouse Deal one. I've always had good luck with Warehouse Deals, and Amazon's customer service if there was something wrong with the part.

You should be in good shape by the time the colder weather hits latter this week. I'll honk the horn as I blow thru on friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back