Experimenting with the 3MZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are we thinking?

Anyone experiment with viscosity in a 1/3MZ Toyota V6?

I'm kinda bored with various 5w30 oils, and winter's coming

And I had good luck with 0w-20 in my Dwight D. Eisenhower engined Taurus last winter

I went to Mobil's website, and it recommends all 5w-30, and 0w-30 AFE

I'm tempted to try it

That, and there's a Toyota bulletin out that basically says I can use whatever I want

IMG_20161003_000550_zpsag8q3wfe.jpg

It's only got 63k on it, and uses no measurable amount of oil

It does have a suspected intermittent slightly noisy lifter, wondering if a high end thin synthetic will get up in there and free it up?

I'd rather try this then resort to such draconian measures as an idle flush with B12 Chemtool

floor opens to experts

IF you are bored try a 20w50 like me :p

If i was you i would remain the same...if it works for you dont mess with it

Last edited:
There have been questions over the legitimacy of this chart here on BITOG over time.

Suffice it to say I tried it in a family member's 2003 Corolla, using Valvoline SynPower 5w20 that I had lying about. Once warmed up it would make a "toof-tooof-toof" sound, not like lifter tick, rod knock or anything else that might make noise in an engine. Eventually, the oil was consumed to a point where a topup was necessary. In went about .5 quart of 10w40, and the noise has disappeared!

I bore surprisingly easily
crazy.gif

So, no love for trying 0w30?

Even Mobil 1 AFE, the 0w30 that claims it can replace a 5w30?

I wouldn't try for a 20 weight, that's rocking the boat a bit too far

On paper, AFE 0w30 is thicker than most 5w30s at operating temps.

I'm running it and it doesn't feel as thick as the spec.

If you're bored and don't want to run a 20, why not blend something yourself? Maybe blend the two AFE grades, or add some Euro 0w30 or 0w40 to a 0w20?

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

This is news to me

Kinda defeats the objective of an easier and smoother cold start

Maybe I'm better off staying within specified grade?

Lots of good full synthetic 5w30 out there

Is there still an affinity for Ultra/Ultra Platinum?

I'm sure your engine will run fine on any of the choices. I can't tell the difference between a 5w-20 or a 15w-40(summer) in any small block I've driven. I've never noticed different noises between oils either.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

This is news to me

Maybe I'm better off staying within specified grade?

Lots of good full synthetic 5w30 out there

Is there still an affinity for Ultra/Ultra Platinum?

I did a very unscientific pour test a few years back (should have recorded it) with Rotella T6 5w-40 and a conventional 10w-30. At freezing, the T6 was much more viscous than the conventional 10w-30. That's a good reason as to why I decided to use 10w-30 in the Cherokee.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I did a very unscientific pour test a few years back (should have recorded it) with Rotella T6 5w-40 and a conventional 10w-30. At freezing, the T6 was much more viscous than the conventional 10w-30. That's a good reason as to why I decided to use 10w-30 in the Cherokee.

Given that both were completely PUMPABLE at freezing, had no difficulties getting to the pickup, as evidenced by MRV...then how is it a "good reason" ?

It "felt like a reason" sums it up I think.

I've used 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30, and 0w-40 on my VVTi 1MZ and haven't really noticed much of a difference between them. Though, as I'm in Texas, cold characteristics are not much of a concern to me and I'd consider running straight SAE20 or 30 if the price was right.

I'm using T6 in two I4 Camrys which suggest 5W 30. No low temp starting problems. Last winter we had one day when it was 7 below.
I'm still using the suggested 5W 30 (M 1) in my "new" 08 V6 Camry which had only 25K on it when I bought it. I may switch it to T6 next summer.

This is news to me

No it doesn't. Its thicker AT OPERATING temperature, but still thinner on cold start than a 5w30 (especially when "cold" means -40F, but also probably from ~freezing all the way down).

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

This is news to me

No it doesn't. Its thicker AT OPERATING temperature, but still thinner on cold start than a 5w30 (especially when "cold" means -40F, but also probably from ~freezing all the way down).

And I misread

Never miss your morning coffee
coffee2.gif

So it's a slightly heavier 30 weight at operating temp, but should still flow easier cold below 0°F?

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

This is news to me

And I misread

Never miss your morning coffee
coffee2.gif

So it's a slightly heavier 30 weight at operating temp, but should still flow easier cold below 0°F?

Correct. But don't expect too big of a difference.

That's about the size of it, but typically the difference between a 5wXX and a 0wXX really doesn't start to get large until its really cold.

I'm running it and it doesn't feel as thick as the spec.

If you're bored and don't want to run a 20, why not blend something yourself? Maybe blend the two AFE grades, or add some Euro 0w30 or 0w40 to a 0w20?
Between the bearings it is possibly thinner.

What are we thinking?

Anyone experiment with viscosity in a 1/3MZ Toyota V6?

I'm kinda bored with various 5w30 oils, and winter's coming

And I had good luck with 0w-20 in my Dwight D. Eisenhower engined Taurus last winter

I went to Mobil's website, and it recommends all 5w-30, and 0w-30 AFE

I'm tempted to try it

That, and there's a Toyota bulletin out that basically says I can use whatever I want

IMG_20161003_000550_zpsag8q3wfe.jpg

It's only got 63k on it, and uses no measurable amount of oil

It does have a suspected intermittent slightly noisy lifter, wondering if a high end thin synthetic will get up in there and free it up?

I'd rather try this then resort to such draconian measures as an idle flush with B12 Chemtool

floor opens to experts

I recommend to you a 5w/30 engine oil on that engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back