Same Question - Different Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you layer a quality sealant over a "basecoat" of wax ( Collinite 476S) without any issues to the wax?

I thought applying a layer of wax over a sealant would remove the sealant but I'm wondering if it would be okay to layer on top of the wax?

Why would you apply a longer lasting product over a shorter lasting product?

In any case, it doesn't really work that way. Wax will have a difficult time bonding to sealant.

Id use sealant first followed by wax. Wax before sealant...id assume sealant would have hard time adhering to paint on top of wax but try it, who knows..

Sealant over wax is not worth doing.. but there are many proven combinations of applying a wax on top of a sealant. Doesn't always work, and in some cases is a waste, but there are proven combinations that provide superior longevity, durability, protection, and shine.

As far as Collinite products go, especially something like 476s or 845, the Collinite wax product itself provides superior results without requiring it being put down on top of sealant.. If you've got the 476s already, then just read up on the best way to apply it, and make sure you PREP your surface exceptionally well before hand. Do that, and apply it right, the 476s will blow you away.

Most sealants use mineral spirits and other solvents that will degrade the wax under the sealant. Sealant first, let cure, then a wax.

Thanks, BITOGERs!

And I do understand the results are based on the prep work as much as the final product used.

Any reason to "double coat" 476s (if prepped and applied correctly) on my friend's new to him 2013 F350?

And it's white, so we can hide defects easier than black or red!

Nah, not really. Porter Cable, Pinnacle, and Collinite perfection or don't even start the job.

That Collinite product, like many of their other products, is a hybrid. It is a sealant that also contains carnauba wax. In effect you are asking about applying one sealant over another sealant which serves no purpose. You can apply & remove the Collinite twice to cover any areas you may have missed initially if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back