Where is my electric power steering fluid going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Durango listed in my signature has taken 8 ounces of fluid over the past year. About this time last year I noticed my EPS reservoir was below the minimum level. Purchased a pint of fluid from the dealer and topped it off. Checked it today and noticed it was right at the minimum mark again, topped it off once more.

I know nothing about electric steering, is this normal? If it is, is 8 ounces the norm?

I check the under side every oil change and I see no indication of leaks around the pump, hoses or seals. Any thoughts on where it's going. Never owned a vehicle that drank PS fluid like this one.

Thanks.

As member 2010Civic said, I'm pretty sure they don't use fluid, if they do it must be a sealed system. My girlfriends 2014 Jetta has EPS and has no fluid reservoir.

Chrysler uses an electric pump for hydraulic assist in some cars. It's got to be leaking somewhere but at the rate it's leaking it's just not puddling up. Could be filling the rack and just not getting out of the dust boots / bellows.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
Electric power steering racks don't use fluid.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
As member 2010Civic said, I'm pretty sure they don't use fluid, if they do it must be a sealed system. My girlfriends 2014 Jetta has EPS and has no fluid reservoir.

Well I'll be darned. You guys probably need to contact the folks at Dodge and inform them-for some strange reason they make an "Electric Power Steering Fluid" for some of their vehicles.

After you contact the folks at Dodge, then maybe you need to contact Nissan too. Those crafty devils are also selling an electric power steering fluid.

Good thing you guys set us all straight on that.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
My Durango listed in my signature has taken 8 ounces of fluid over the past year. About this time last year I noticed my EPS reservoir was below the minimum level. Purchased a pint of fluid from the dealer and topped it off. Checked it today and noticed it was right at the minimum mark again, topped it off once more.

I know nothing about electric steering, is this normal? If it is, is 8 ounces the norm?

My Jeep (same EPS system) does the same thing. In the past, I have topped it off and after a few days, the level always seems to be back at the minimum line. But, it never goes below minimum, so I just leave it there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Well I'll be darned. You guys probably need to contact the folks at Dodge and inform them-for some strange reason they make an "Electric Power Steering Fluid" for some of their vehicles.

After you contact the folks at Dodge, then maybe you need to contact Nissan too. Those crafty devils are also selling an electric power steering fluid.

Good thing you guys set us all straight on that.

I just got back from taking a picture of my reservior and bottle of fluid to post. You beat me to it.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton

My Jeep (same EPS system) does the same thing. In the past, I have topped it off and after a few days, the level always seems to be back at the minimum line. But, it never goes below minimum, so I just leave it there.

That's interesting.

This weekend I'll pop off the shroud on the underside and give it a better look. If I don't see anything, I'll just keep a closer eye on the fluid level. First time I added fluid I didn't note it in my maintenance app on my phone. From here on out I'll track the dates and amount. Heck, I might even do a full fluid change since she has close to 60k on her.

A 2 year old Durango is losing PSF? That's pretty early for a problem like that. Wouldn't the warranty cover that?

Last edited:
Traditional Power Steering uses a hydraulic pump powered by a belt attached to the crank pulley. Hoses and valves direct the fluid through the rack to provide boost.

There are TWO kinds of Electric Power Steering:
1) Traditional hydraulic steering with the hydraulic pump powered by an electric motor.
2) All-electric steering with boost provided by an electric motor attached directly to the rack.
The first type uses fluid, the second type doesn't.

And I agree with the posters who suggested that the vehicle may still be under warranty, in which case let the dealership and Chrysler deal with this.

A 2 year old Durango is losing PSF? That's pretty early for a problem like that. Wouldn't the warranty cover that?

It's just a hair over 2 years old but has almost 60k on the odometer. Bumper to bumper dropped off at 36k. Power train is good till 100k but obviously this won't fall under that category.

I purchased the Chrysler Maxcare lifetime warranty shortly after buying the vehicle. Found a guy in Kansas who sells the plans at near cost, I couldn't pass it up. If the ESP does meet a quick and untimely death, I'll pay the first $100 and Chrysler gets to pick up the the rest. As I stated in an earlier thread, I've started tracking the fluid usage and how often I have to add. That way Chrysler can't say it failed from lack of maintenance and deny my claim.

Mazda uses the hydraulic setup for their EPS on some of hte older applications. There was a recall on 3's and 5's where we replaced just part of the pump. They made it next to impossible to order a complete assembly. One time I had to for a body shop, I called into the support line and they were trying to interrogate me as to why a car that already had hte recall performed needed the part. I said "well the front end got hit in an accident and since you guys mounted this stack of 15 $100 bills right behind the bumper it is somewhere on the side of the highway." They sent a replacement and I got called to the principal's office again.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I said "well the front end got hit in an accident and since you guys mounted this stack of 15 $100 bills right behind the bumper it is somewhere on the side of the highway." They sent a replacement and I got called to the principal's office again.

Hilarious! I have one of those - 2012 Mazda3.

A 2014 leaking fluid? Take it to the dealer. Best option is to sell it and buy something other than a late-model Dodge. I've never seen trucks with more problems than those piles of trash.

Electrohydraulic systems exist, but I don't know if the Durango uses them.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
A 2014 leaking fluid? Take it to the dealer. Best option is to sell it and buy something other than a late-model Dodge. I've never seen trucks with more problems than those piles of trash.

Other than using 8 ounces of Electric-Hydro PS fluid and a faulty TPSM sensor when new, the vehicle has been flawless. If you'd like to discuss a pile of trash, let's talk about my 2008 Honda Accord that I sold right after purchasing my Durango.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

Other than using 8 ounces of Electric-Hydro PS fluid and a faulty TPSM sensor when new, the vehicle has been flawless. If you'd like to discuss a pile of trash, let's talk about my 2008 Honda Accord that I sold right after purchasing my Durango.

Sounds about right, lol! Hondas are the new early-2000's Chevy's, only with a slightly nicer interior and Japanese parts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Electrohydraulic systems exist, but I don't know if the Durango uses them.

The Toyota MR2 and Mini used an electrohydraulic system. One calls for an esoteric fluid, the other one calls for Pentosin fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back