What car & engine lasts the longest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the record for highest mileage on a car, that would be Irv Gorden on his Volvo P1800. He hit two million miles back in March. Volvo gave him his second free car at that time...I don't know why they don't use him in commercials. The guy's a driving nut. Used to have a >100mi round trip commute to work. Drives from NY to Cleveland for lunch.
gr_eek2.gif
Retired so I guess he's got the time. Look up Irv Gorden or Irv-o-meter and you should find him and pics of his car.

Otherwise, AJ's right. Any engine & tranny maintained well should hold up until you get bored with the old car. This goes for most makes.

offtopic.gif
Some commercial trucks make it well over 2,000,000. Many of those are Volvos and Mercedes(Freightliner).
grin.gif

[ September 02, 2003, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: mormit ]

Volvo B21. Any variant combined with synthetic oil will last stinking forever...in a Volvo 240, which will last a long time too, if you keep the rust out of the inside
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Speed racer:
Subaru will give you a new car if you bring your old Subaru in with over 1,000,000 documented miles. Yes, there have been some.

Free new cars? Are you kidding me?!
cool.gif

Have to call the Subie hotline and tell them I've got two on the way! (In about 25 years.
wink.gif
grin.gif
)

Non-Diesel - Honda or Toyota

Diesel - Mercedes-Benz

[ September 02, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: dagmando ]

quote:

Originally posted by Speed racer:
Assuming regular oil changes and regular care; what car or truck lasts the longest for the average Joe, without major work? (We are debating this at work.)
Some say Toyota some say Mercedes Benz, others say full size chevy with the 350.- Subaru will give you a new car if you bring your old Subaru in with over 1,000,000 documented miles. Yes, there have been some.
What about that Volvo p1800 with a gob of miles?

(1) Toyota Celica 1972 model. Ran for 15 years without missing a tick, until my Dad gave it away to Cuz Jimmy. Never needed service apart from oil change whenever dad felt like it. Which was like 2X a year max. And yes, Dad liked to use "Black Death" 1972 year Castrol GTX. For all I know, Cuz is still thrashing the livin' daylights out of that old Toyota.

(2) Suzuki Sidekick 1990 model. Ran like dickens: 60,000 miles in 2.5 years. Stolen by NYC speeque gang at 2.5 years of age. Run on GTX 20w-50. Never missed a tick. I bel;ieve that one could have gone 10 years without a service.

(3) Ford Bronco full size 351 v-8. Year 1981. Bought 2nd hand in oh, about 1994, with 117,000 + miles on the clock. Engine never missed a tick till sold off in 1998. But: this is the Catch 22---- the confounded electricals made sure I never made it out of the driveway!!!!!!!

(4) Ford Thunderbird 1986 model. Again, we never had to take the valve cover off. It ran roughly, but the motor always ran whenever the electrical system felt like providing the spark. Sold off in Dec 99 or early 2000 with engine still running strong.

(5) Suzuki Sidekick Sport 1998 model. Bought 1/99. Now has 41,600 miles on it. Never been serviced apart from oil and filter. Castrol GTX, of course.
wink.gif
It looks like new and runs like Stink. Going in for its first transmission oil change this week: Redline GL-4 type, MT-90. Schaeffer GL-5 type 267 gear oil for rear pumpkin.

Conclusion: I think modern cars will last forever if the owner uses Castrol GTX dino oil and changes it regularly.
grin.gif
No, I am just kidding. Reasonable maintenance (like, not leaving the oil in for 1 year), reasonable quality dino oil but changed regularly. Do this, and you car will last forever. It may not start every time if you own a F**d, but it will last foerver.

The old gutless cutlasses of the mid 80s - the Cutlass Cieras with the 2.5L Tech4s.

I had an 87 with 70K mi on it for my first car back in 1995. Sold it to my cousin with 175K mi on the odo for his first car (that was after my dad used it for nearly 2 years as a work vehicle). Never used more than 1/4qt. between oil changes and 1/8 gallon of antifreeze every 4K mi. The car is still running strong with 300K mi on it, never having anything more serious to it done than a new alternator, new valve cover gasket, and new radiator tanks.

My fiancee had an 88 with 80K mi on it when she got it. Kept it for ~3 years and we sold it with 170K mi on it still running strong. Never consumed more than 1/3 qt between 4K mi changes and 1/8 gallon of antifreeze.

Parents friends bought an 88 from my grandparents that used quite a bit of oil with 75K mi. In two years they managed to put on 225K mi. The engine has finally given up the ghost, but that's pretty good on something that consumed about 1/4 qt. per week. They're keeping the car and getting a rebuilt engine for about $400 intsalled for it from a relative of theirs who is a mechanic since the body and interior are in excellent shape.

They certainly weren't pretty cars, nor were they fast (approx 100Hp/120 ft lbs torque in most years models) but they last and last.

[ September 02, 2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Forkman ]

I am incredibly fond of the Ford 3.0 OHV (vulcan) V6 found mostly in the Ranger and Taurus. Its pretty low tech by todays standard, but very tough and reliable. I have put lots of miles on three of them in three seperate trucks with NO motor issues. Castrol GTX 5w30 was the oil I used most. The new 2.2 ecotec in my wife's '03 Cavalier seems very impressive so far. Very smooth and surprisingly powerful for a budget car.

The Mercedes Benz long life reputation is based on its all cast iron diesels, such as the 1979-1985 5 cylinder 300SD. They could go 400K miles without overhaul if reasonably taken care of. I am not sure if the newer ones will be able to match that record.

IMO, any car that you can get spares for easily will last.

I use to drive a 25 yr-old 1975 MB280S. I admit it had an engine rebuild, body restored and everything, but it will just keep on going & going as long as parts are available for it. Eventually there came a time when my local stockist didnt bring it parts for it anymore, even wiper blades became difficult to purchase. That's the time I realised it's time to get rid of it.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
I am incredibly fond of the Ford 3.0 OHV (vulcan) V6 found mostly in the Ranger and Taurus. Its pretty low tech by todays standard, but very tough and reliable. I have put lots of miles on three of them in three seperate trucks with NO motor issues. Castrol GTX 5w30 was the oil I used most. The new 2.2 ecotec in my wife's '03 Cavalier seems very impressive so far. Very smooth and surprisingly powerful for a budget car.

Is that the same 3.0 used in the aerostar? I know 3 people with 3.0 aerostars that are in excess of 250k miles. The bodies look like crap, but the engines are still chuggin.

My vote would be for the 350 (imagine that
grin.gif
). I have a friend who just lost a piston pin at 350k in his 79Z. The engine is original and has seen in excess of 2k quarter mile passes and has allways been driven like a camaro should be.
grin.gif
My buddy has not changed the oil or filter in 200000 miles
gr_eek2.gif
. He argues with me that since it burns a quart a week (about 500 miles), then it gets an oil change every 2500 miles.
rolleyes.gif

[ September 02, 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan:
I think Patman's car will last for 50 years.
wink.gif

It just might, but with my history of trading in cars, I probably won't own it then!
smile.gif
(I'm on my 15th car and I'm only 33)

Sad thing is, you will trade your Formula in and some idiot will buy it and never change the oil in it... all that work for nothing.

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan:
Sad thing is, you will trade your Formula in and some idiot will buy it and never change the oil in it... all that work for nothing.

My plan is truly to keep this car for about 6-7 more years, and then get a C5 Corvette, so by the time I'm done with this Formula, it's engine will be pretty spent.
smile.gif

I am happy to see the optimism about life of cars. It seems that most of those who posted are from flat locales. I must say that hill dwellers are not likely to see transmissions last as long as the rest of the car. Transmission failures are much more common than mechanical engine failures here. Locally on our hill, even some with lofty reputations like Honda and Toyota have transmission failures, not just other makes. When the transmission goes, the question may be is a $2000 transmission repair on an older car worth doing.

When does a transmission repair turn to $2000. Is this for an automatic? Thankfully most European and Japanese cars are available with manuals, its too bad domestic does not offer the same (some but not many). I will never own an automatic car although my choices dwindle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back