Switching to a k&n

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm in several dart clubs. Some of them are slot of fun. Anyway so many people have cai on their darts. Now i dont really think there is much room for improvement on the stock set up its reallg pretty good in my opinion. However would their be any benefit of using a k&n panel filter? I would use it since it pollutes less and lasts longer if there is any other benefits? My iat temps are usually around 18 degrees above ambient which is probably pretty good don't you think. I know k&n says youll get roughly 3.8 hp increase from their cai set up..... I dont know that i believe it but who knows? Anyway thoughts are appreciated.

Panel filter is not the biggest restriction in an intake system. Spend your money on a CAI that actually uses an efficient dry filter (AEM, AFE, etc.), or just keep it all stock.

It will take a precision machine to notice a 3.8hp difference. You never will.

More dirt in your engine but they don't boast about that
smile.gif

Quote:
I would use it since it pollutes less and lasts longer if there is any other benefits?

K&N sucks.

And that is not an unsubstantiated opinion. I have multiple UOA from 3 street-driven daily drivers that WERE running K&N air filters. My silicon counts were in the Hundreds, with one at 999, bordering on 1000. Please keep in mind that Blackstone and other test labs caution against Si counts over 20.

All I did was switch to Amsoil nanofiber air filters and my Si counts dropped to normal ranges. This was on 3 vehicles. I have 3 K&N filters which fit 2000-2005 Buick Lesabre, also fit Chevy Impala, and I'm not sure what else...Free to good home if anyone wants them. PM me and pay postage. Paper OEM filters are fine.

K&N air filters are the best in the world if you are racing off road and you can get a 1/4 to 12" of dust to coat them in two hours of hard running; but in the FINE dust particles you encounter on paved roads I believe they are useless. Do as you wish. And I can post copies of my UOA if anyone asks...I'm repeating myself, but my opinion is not unsubstantiated.

A cai is not a panel filter. I'd agree that the stock setup is decent. Computational fluid dynamics and other design tools have come a long way and are a straightforward way to increase rating and eke out fractions of an mpg so critical to the auto makers.

Put your money towards paying off your car, maintaining your car, and saving for the next. This isn't a worthwhile upgrade IMO.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I would keep paper air filter.
x2

+3

I agree with everyone else above. The only thing you're likely to accomplish with this swap would be to put all the extra dirt the K&N doesn't trap directly into your engine. Stick with the OEM paper filters.

I have a Spectre Cold Air Intake with a K&N filter on it. there is not much difference but a slight one is noticiable.
- 2006 GMC Sierra Denali 6.0 L v8

Are there any cold air intake setups or high performance panel filters that are good?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Are there any cold air intake setups or high performance panel filters that are good?

For some applications, yes.

If there are any for YOURS sounds like something YOU need to research.

Originally Posted By: duckboy55
I have a Spectre Cold Air Intake with a K&N filter on it. there is not much difference but a slight one is noticiable.
- 2006 GMC Sierra Denali 6.0 L v8

LOL! I have the exact truck and I also put the Spectre on it last year. I don't notice any difference but I love the sound and that's all I really bought it for was the sound.

They have K&N filters on display at O'Reillys. Pick one up and hold it up to the light, you can see right through it.

You can re-route the stock filter inlet to a cool air region and get the best of both worlds.
That's what I did on my Matrix, so instead of getting air from the engine compartment it draws air from behind the front bumper.

I've been a long time K&N fan. I like the idea of buying 1 filter, and just cleaning it. I like the added sound, and throttle response (Yes, I have been able to feel it).

That said, I went to a paper filter after buying my turbo dodge. It came with a drop in K&N(conical style, as was factory), and while cleaning it I noticed ALOT of filth on the other side of the filter. Which basically meant it wasnt doing its job at all. Cleaned it, took it off, and put a paper filter on. After 4,000 miles, the tube is perfectly clean, at least somewhat telling me the paper filter is doing a much better job than the K&N was doing. I miss the sound of the K&N on there, but I feel better knowing my turbo is better protected.

I now kind of look at K&N air filters like racing oil filters. it filters some, but no where near what a proper street setup does for longevity. There are some studies done out there that show how much they actually filter, and its a bit scary how little it is...

Last edited:

This is what K&N did for my son's car. Sample #2 is K&N air filter. Future ones with lower Si counts had NOTHING
different except the air filter. Remember, Blackstone and other labs caution with over 20 ppm Silicon. Is 999 parts Silicon enough to convince anyone that these are NOT designed or intended for street use?

If anyone has K&N air filter installed and thinks highly of them for street use, I challenge them to post UOA with acceptable silicon counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back