Ecosafe TF 25 PAG Basestock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had any long term experience with this new lubricant from DOW? It is a polyalkylene glycol based fluid.(PAG). It has a high viscosity index that is a direct replacement for an ISO VG 32 mineral oil.

This a a combustion turbine oil. Relatively new to the industry.
GE Frame 7FA combustion turbine.

Polyol Esters are typically used in ac compressors and in refrigderation systems. Combustion Turbines subject the oil to high temperatures and doubles in most systems as a hydraulic fluid. I do not know how the varnish potential would hold with a POE.

Did you learn any more since this previous post on Ecosafe TF25? Looks like they have it now in several GE 7FA combustion turbines. Any bad news on the product that has been placed for some time in a peaking unit?

No bad news that I am aware of. Calpine is using the product in several GE 7FA's. The cost seems to be the major drawback. However it would take about two failed starts due to a sticky IGV Moog valve to recover the investment. Varnish is a big issue in this industry. Group II oils give about two years of good service then the varnish gremlins return.
Innovation comes painfully slow in this industry. No one wants to be first. Demming, the father of Statisical Process Control gave creedance to the statement that we continue to do the same things over and over again and expect a different result.

It was good to speak with you on the phone the other day. I am looking forward to seeing the results with your group. Hopefully we can move the industry out of the dark ages. This is like being a modern day pioneer. Best Wishes from FL.

We have cleared all but one hurdle to try the TF25. We are waiting on GE to see if this change would impact the LTSA. Calpine has logged over 18k hrs with no issues.

We are getting Revive! Then we will move towards TF-25 at about one unit per year. Most excellent
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back