Green Kendall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've purchased two cases of Kendall GT-1 High Performance SAE 30 motor oil, API service SJ, and was wondering if anyone has ever used it. It is a very dark green color, almost blue. I'm not asking for recommendations, as I know what I'm going to do with it, just asking if anyone ever used it. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Red91
green color

b5896c9c_384512-floodgates-open.jpeg

Red91:

From the '80s and into the '90s I used Kendall GT1 in all my cars (IIRC 10W-30), including my V12 E-Type Jag (for sure 20W-50). At the time, Kendall GT1 was one of the best oils available.

I'd venture that SJ Kendall GT1 would still provide great protection and cleanliness, even in a contemporary vehicle. And, yes, the stuff I used was green.

Scott

Edit: Just remembered, the Ferrari dealership my brother-in-law used (he had 3 of them); that Ferrari dealership used Kendall GT1. My BIL told me that and he understands all the stuff we talk about here.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool, and I honestly didn't realize it was green until I poured a quart into a glass jar. Mine is in black plastic bottles with black and gold labels. It's to be used in my Roadmaster, which I believe was spec'd for SG, and I won't hesitate to use it.

I may do that, but you'll have to forgive me it it takes some time. I don't have a smartphone or anything like that. It's a cool sight though.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Red91
That's pretty cool, and I honestly didn't realize it was green until I poured a quart into a glass jar. Mine is in black plastic bottles with black and gold labels. It's to be used in my Roadmaster, which I believe was spec'd for SG, and I won't hesitate to use it.

But is it a straight 30 weight though?

Years ago, green oil was indicative of Pennsylvania crude oil, which had high natural viscosity retention with out need for VI improvement additives. So it was preferred over other grades of crude for automotive usage.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Red91:

From the '80s and into the '90s I used Kendall GT1 in all my cars (IIRC 10W-30), including my V12 E-Type Jag (for sure 20W-50). At the time, Kendall GT1 was one of the best oils available.

I'd venture that SJ Kendall GT1 would still provide great protection and cleanliness, even in a contemporary vehicle. And, yes, the stuff I used was green.

Scott

Edit: Just remembered, the Ferrari dealership my brother-in-law used (he had 3 of them); that Ferrari dealership used Kendall GT1. My BIL told me that and he understands all the stuff we talk about here.

I used the green Kendal GT-1 in my Volvos in the 80's and 90's including one that went to 336,000 miles. Valve train looked new at 336k. It was from same refinery in Bradford PA as today's Brad Penn. Brings back memories!

Sam

Yup - used to be called "green slime". It was slippery. I remember when we used to do the "screwdriver test" - dip the end of a good size flat head screwdriver into Kendall and try to hold the chamfered end in between your thumb & forefinger - you couldn't hold it w Kendall, too slippery, while you could hold it w other oils. I used the GT1 20W-50 in race cars before switching to Mobil 1 in the 90's.

I'd run GT-1 today in any used car or truck from 1999 back ...
smile.gif

Very good oil and good snag on the SAE 30
smile.gif

Excellent oil for say a Mercruiser in a boat from the 1990's back to year one for those things
laugh.gif

I've used it plenty in old school turbo tech cars (early water cooled and only oil cooled). High quality, used to be pretty hard to find.

Yep, original back-in-the-day Kendall is a good find.
Put it up for bids on eBay. You may make some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back