Need Brighter Headlights in 2002 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
My headlights are yellow and weak. I'm 59 and need more light. What do you recommend. I've emailed Daniel Stern as it seems he is the "go to" man. Any suggestions? From what I can tell, I gotta be very careful because there is a lot of junk out there.

May need to use relays for lower voltage drop to the lights. But what do the housings look like first? I wonder if a new(er) set is in order, as they tend to go yellow and pitted with age.

Last set of regular bulbs I got were Philips 9003 VisionPlus. An upgrade from what came OEM> They are 60 watts too.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Are your housings in good condition? Any clouding, hazing or visible age? If so new oem housings could help a lot.

They are ok

Also, the mirror surface in the back of the housing can degrade. The lights will still appear to light up but they will not send much light down the road where you need it.

any new bulb will seem brighter even if it's a new standard bulb.

keep in mind the bulbs that claim brighter outpit also have significantly lower lifespan.

When I tested my headlamps for voltage drop I found nearly 3 volts lost in the wiring. The factory service manual claimed it was to be 14awg but it looked on the thin side of 16awg.

I made my own harness from 12AWG, Tapped the nearby alternator to battery feed wire to feed the relays, and now have about 0.3v drop.

I'd estimate 30%-40% brighter.

No more headlamp current through my headlamp switch either, or my dimmer switch, reducing their chances of failure, and improving voltage to the other signal light bulbs.

Don't discount the proper aim either. Suspensions sag, perhaps sending beams up too high, reducing apparent intensity on road, while glaring other drivers more.

I've been in a car that had a fender bender and one headlamp replaced. The output on the new non hazed light housing, vs the only slightly hazed original light, was extremely noticeable.

Part of that could be an old vs new bulb, but not all of it.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Also, the mirror surface in the back of the housing can degrade. The lights will still appear to light up but they will not send much light down the road where you need it.
+1
Beat me to it....

Jewels are pricy but will help. Plus new bulbs.

You didn't mention what HDLT bulb you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back