Deepwater Horizon Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Deepwater Horizon last night with the family. Of the movies I have seen of late, this one places you right in the middle of the explosions and action. You F-E-E-L and experience the drama as it unfolds--it is inescapable. I believe they did a great job of capturing the sequence of events that preceded the accident and followed the timeline fairly accurately.

Based upon my own experiences in my former life in the petrochemical industry, I ducked every time an explosion rocked the rig, I could feel the heat of the inferno, and the acrid smell of burning crude filled my nose. Mark Wahlberg did a fantastic job as did Kurt Russell. John Malkovich, while playing the role of one of the major "at-faults" in the accident, also gave a very convincing performance. My thoughts still go out to the families of the missing eleven...

Can you recommend the best documentary on the Piper Alpha disaster?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
If memory serves, National Geographic did one that was quite detailed.

Thanks for the review. I've been looking for 4K media for my newly upgraded home theatre. I'll put this one on the list.

Originally Posted By: jx7000
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

The "Media" section at the bottom of the Wikipedia page lists a couple of videos:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_Alpha

No, no, there is another doc out there, made in the early 90's, very PBS'sik and seemly more British.

The documentary USED to be on Youtube, cannot find it. It did not have all that CG graphics. It went into detail how Occidental Petroleum incompetence and more "live" coverage footage was used.

Perhaps there was a doc released on VHS?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back