Severed Comcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to make some drastic changes in my expenses last year, and one of those was the TV package. I killed all TV, signed up for adequate speed Internet (cable at $10/mo for 6 months, whereupon I cancelled with them and went with DSL, who are the preferred provider here, but also at $10/mo for 6 months) and next January will start paying about $C 40 ($ 30.25) a month for that. Our DSL is Fibre-To-The-Premises so 15Mbps down 5Mbps up, and unlike cable, the speed never wavers.

I bought a ROKU streaming stick, and have Netflix HD/2 screens plus I subscribe via the ROKU to a short group of conventional TV channels (History, NFL Network, and the major Canadian networks). Netflix just raised the price $1 here in Canada, so I'm now paying $C 9.95 to them plus $C 2.09 for the added ROKU package, so a total of $C 12.04 ($US 9.10) for that.

So, $C 22 a month now, soon to be $C 52 a month in January.

It's not exactly legal, but you can get almost any sporting event online if you are careful (lots of dangerous sites to avoid).

Alternately, Via the ROKU, you can get NFL Sunday Ticket for a few hundred dollars, or NHL Network, or Major League Baseball, and all those packages are every game every market, so much better than anything via a TV package, unless you add them to your TV package, of course.

Although the packages are not chump change, on the other hand they amount to a fraction of a mundane TV subscription over a year.

There's a lot of [censored] via the ROKU channels, but if you are not married to prime time TV, it's decent.

Originally Posted By: Al
What do you pay for TV/Month. I pay nothing.

I also pay nothing, and I also don't watch television beyond the occasional local weather. You'd be surprised at how much additional time you have to get things done when you don't spend time watching reality shows or any of the other garbage that passes for television.

Imagine if you put the time you spend parked on the couch to good use-you could run for local office and make some of those changes that you always complain about, do volunteer work, invest in a business and make money, start your own small business, the list is endless.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Yeah, there's no screaming deal in 'breaking the bundle' with TWC. I hate it, but I pay $174 for TV with DVR, internet and land line. Just interwebs would probably land in the $70/mo range.

One of our biggest issues is, we can't get cell service at the house without high speed internet. We need a network extender for cell service and that stupid thing is forever flashing a red "system" light or "GPS" light which renders it useless most of the time. Thus the need for the land line with 4 young kids.

WOW! Just WOW!

I have ComCast, 500 + channels, 2 premium packages, phone, and High Speed internet, all for $130 bucks before taxes.

Yeah, there's no screaming deal in 'breaking the bundle' with TWC. I hate it, but I pay $174 for TV with DVR, internet and land line. Just interwebs would probably land in the $70/mo range.

I think the best you will be able to do is 80.50 including tax. You (and me) are still getting raped. But in my area and yours they have a monopoly. And they know it. If FIOS were in the 'hood it would be 25 bucks less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jcwit
WOW! Just WOW!

I have ComCast, 500 + channels, 2 premium packages, phone, and High Speed internet, all for $130 bucks before taxes.

What's your cost all in if you don't mind me asking. My $174 includes the taxes and fees, which there are a laundry list of.

Last edited:
WOW! Just WOW!

What's your cost all in if you don't mind me asking. My $174 includes the taxes and fees, which there are a laundry list of.

I'm trying to figure out why everyone doesn't just buy a 50$ Roku streaming video stick and drop comcast tv.
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif

Last edited:
People want to see news, neat stuff like game of thrones, walking dead, turn, and other premium stuff. You may want to see any pro or college game. I don't believe the cheap streaming stuff does all that.

I have a full comcast package and a full directv package because the wife wants a backup during rain storms and such.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
People want to see news, neat stuff like game of thrones, walking dead, turn, and other premium stuff. You may want to see any pro or college game. I don't believe the cheap streaming stuff does all that.

I have a full comcast package and a full directv package because the wife wants a backup during rain storms and such.

Does all of that and more.
https://channelstore.roku.com/browse

Last edited:
WOW! Just WOW!

I'm trying to figure out why everyone doesn't just buy a 50$ Roku streaming video stick and drop comcast tv.
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif

Better Movies and Local Pro Sports for free is the best reason for my Cable bill. Plus some popular TV Show Series have a one year delay, before reaching Roku. For instance: Bates Motel and American Horror Story..... some others too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Better Movies and Local Pro Sports for free is the best reason for my Cable bill. Plus some popular TV Show Series have a one year delay, before reaching Roku. For instance: Bates Motel and American Horror Story..... some others too.
Probably right. But the latest movies are on demand and mega live sports, news, business channels. Just way more than I need. I watch about 10 minutes of TV per day. Wife watches news and religious shows and ROKU has more religious shows (up to date) than she can begin to watch..she is literally in heaven.lol. And..all for free. I would guess ROKU would be more than enough for 90% of the folks that pay $70+ per month. They just don't realise "You Can Do That". Just not right for you.

Took me out of my comfort zone to do it but I learned a lot and glad I did it. Same with Ooma phone.

Last edited:
WOW! Just WOW!

Just asked my wife as she is the one that takes care of the bills. She tells me she makes out a check for $131.72 or $131.71 each month. Ya, she claims it varies month by month by a penny.

I absolutely agree with this. It's far easier to watch on cable then the streaming services especially with DVR. It's personal choice on what you feel is worth it to you and family to pay the differential for cable. I have $20 basic reception for cable and pay another $80/month a speed tier of internet. My wife is addicted to some stupid soap opera as her secret vice.

Does all of that and more.
https://channelstore.roku.com/browse

As someone who uses roku and is planning on dropping Comcast TV when my term is up, I have to point out that several of the roku channels for cable channels (like ESPN) are only available with a current cable tv provided package. There are more and more channels (mostly premium ones like Showtime) that you can purchase ala carte from Amazon. Another loss when switching to roku & streaming only is no more DVR, especially for OTA local channels.

Originally Posted By: Touring5
Another loss when switching to roku & streaming only is no more DVR, especially for OTA local channels.

Not so fast.....

There are several options for DVR OTA, old and new. Including hard-drives. I have an old Panasonic DVCR that will record on either an optical or HD. I have another that does so solely on optical.

Newer versions either use a HD, SSD or RAM. Channel Master makes one. You can also use a confuser as a media center/DVR by outfitting it with a media card and a video-only big HD. Piece of cake.

What do you pay for TV/mo. I pay nothing

+1. Same here.

Originally Posted By: hatt
TV is like processed food. When you cut it out, you don't miss it.

Not at my age!

I happen to like news both local & world. And I happen to like educational programming. One channel in particular, The Smithsonian channel.

I also like to be intertained later at night watching movies made back in the 40's & 50's.

Not at my age!

I happen to like news both local & world. And I happen to like educational programming. One channel in particular, The Smithsonian channel.

I also like to be intertained later at night watching movies made back in the 40's & 50's.

All of the above can be found streaming live online for free.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

Not at my age!

Yup. Now I did get a $20 HDTV areal for our local news works like a charm.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

Not at my age!

Please inform me where I can stream FOX news, FOX business, and get all the current live NASCAR races?

Yup. Now I did get a $20 HDTV areal for our local news works like a charm.

Not where I live!

Will not not work like any kind of charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back