What oils are popular in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am noticing that where I live in Southwest PA and even in central PA where I am now that's havoline and GULF oils are popular at shops. Wal mart here has Havoline for $11.47 and Havoline HM for $12.07
smile.gif

Lots of Magnatec and M1 stuff, not much PYB but some PHM and QSAD,QSGB

The stuff on clearance up here at various stores has been Chevron Supreme and Formula Shell. Both perfectly good conventional oils for around $2 a quart.

I see a lot of Pennzoil and Quaker State then sell pretty quick here. Castrol seems fairly popular as well.

Wemay: good point. Amazing that Havoline is here in central PA Wal mart and none in southwest PA Wal marts

Last edited by a moderator:
M1 is always prominently displayed at any Walmart around here, whether on rollback or not.
They don't push Supertech with anything close to the same vigor...

I have no way of knowing what the best seller is here, but traditionally Quaker State and Pennzoil have always been the big conventionals and of course Mobil 1 has a following everywhere. Especially where it gets cold...

Valvoline in my area. Valvoline Instant Oil change places are always busy. The Pennzoil oil change places are graveyard dead..i never see anyone there.

In my area it depends upon what retail chain has on sale menards it valvoline , Blaines just had a sale on Citgo, Mills has a sale on now and wally world is always rolling back something, they are like the Baskin Robbins of oil,31 flavors of oil

Last edited:
Pennzoil quickie lube will be dead pushing Puro garbage; least one near me is dead

Last edited by a moderator:
Quaker State and Valvoline rule the roost here.

Back in my Motown days it was Valvoline or bust...and by a shockingly huge margin. My family owned a repair facility and 9 of 10 wanted Valvoline....the other 1* wanted Mobil 1.

By the responses here you would be surprised. PYB in North America has a pretty dominate lead in "conventional" sales. It's market share is larger than the 2nd thru 5th best sellers combined. It is not only due to quick lube joints. Because it's lead is only about 8% above the number 2 supplier Havoline in this area. This means a lot of DIYers and auto maintainers are using PYB.

For "synthetics" Mobil One has historically been the sales leader, this being said Pennzoil has in the last 4 years have dramatically increased its market share by over 10% at the cost of Mobil and Castrol.

Combined Pennzoil has an remarkable lead in total PCMO sales and it is not close at all.

Supertech, Pennzoil and Quaker State seem to be the biggest sellers at my Walmart. These seem to have the most shelf space and are more wiped off the shelves then other oils. The Quaker State seems to be the most notable with it dominating the most shelf space. In summary - it seems whatever is name brand and cheapest sells here in NASCAR country.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
In summary - it seems whatever is name brand and cheapest sells here in NASCAR country.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

Lots of Pennzoil quick lubes here, quite a few Valvoline ones as well.

Most people fan boy over Mobil 1 or Royal Purple locally that I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back