Quality in re-manned parts between parts stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Saturday folks.

Is there a difference in the quality of re-manned parts between parts stores? (Say AAP, NAPA, AZ and Oreillys)

For example, I mainly use AAP for their codes. Within the last few years, their re-manned calipers have given me fits. Between leaking a few months after installation and simply locking up, I can't help but wonder if there's something better. I guess there's OEM from the dealer, but that is $$$. Typically, they don't have a lifetime warranty either. For me, it's hard to justify ordering online for calipers. If I need it and don't have a spare vehicle, I can't justify waiting.

Other parts seem to be generally the same price between all the stores. NAPA tends to be a bit more, but they occasionally have sales too. I do know all the parts stores in town are used by indy shops too so the quality can't be that bad.

I have a local starter and alternator shop and seems I never have issues again with the repair. May be a bit more cost but the time it takes to do the job over has a pretty good value. The rest of the stuff seems to be a [censored] shoot as to who they have try and rebuild. I am lucky that I have a second vehicle and can wait if I order online from Rock Auto or Amazon.

If I need to replace a caliper, I'll pull the pistons first; if I see no pitting in the bore, I'll get OEM seals and maybe a new piston and rebuild it myself.

If the bore is pitted or corroded, it's a new OEM unit for me.

You could always take it to a shop, fix it with whatever they want, and then if it [censored] s the bed it's on them, not you.

Last edited:
NAPA used to be a cut above, but it's not clear that it's still true.

Most parts these days are remanufactured in Mexico, some to a low price point. Most stores have 2 or more lines. One line is low cost used at your risk. The other line is pretty good. If you as a customer insist on lowest cost, you get what you pay for.

Rod

Originally Posted By: ET16
not any more. Napa's rebuilt stuff is junk now. They ship it to China now then ship it back.

Granted its a 28 yr old carand an old Ranger, so YMMV. The Rat has remann-ed front calipers from Auto Zone 4yrs so far. Not so many miles, it sits a lot. No problems with sticking. The BMW sat for almost a yr. I took the calipers apart and put them back together after wire brushing the piston. I reused every thing, lubed it with Sil- Glyde (sic) and re-assembled Pitted bores aren't a problem with ATE calipers,the O-Ring seal is at the top of the piston.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Pitted bores aren't a problem with ATE calipers,the O-Ring seal is at the top of the piston.
grin2.gif

No, but severely corroded pistons are, and for some weird reason those are often not available as separate parts.

Most remans are made by Cardone no matter where you get them. Napa and Autozone remans are Cardone, but not the Ultra.

I'd recommend Cardone Ultra since they are powdercoated to deter rust. Other reman calipers, including Cardone's lower lines, rust almost immediately in service.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Most parts these days are remanufactured in Mexico, some to a low price point. Most stores have 2 or more lines. One line is low cost used at your risk. The other line is pretty good. If you as a customer insist on lowest cost, you get what you pay for.

Rod

This^^
Most parts sources offer an el cheapo line as well as something better.
It rarely pays to buy the cheapest possible part unless you really enjoy replacing it more than once. An exception might be the known-good parts Rock often offers on closeout.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: andyd
Pitted bores aren't a problem with ATE calipers,the O-Ring seal is at the top of the piston.
grin2.gif

No, but severely corroded pistons are, and for some weird reason those are often not available as separate parts.
I start with a soft wire wheel on a bench grinder. Pits are feathered out with a small file. Haven't needed to do that much, if at all with this set., All the calipers have been un-stuck in the last 2 yrs. Plus, I did a pro-active replacement of the rear hard lines. Every time I work on brakes, I use at least a qt of brake fluid. Last job, it was all I had to buy.
grin2.gif

"King Kalipers" are rebuilt in Massachusetts.Bond Auto and Sanel Auto in New England sell them.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Happy Saturday folks.

Is there a difference in the quality of re-manned parts between parts stores? (Say AAP, NAPA, AZ and Oreillys)

For example, I mainly use AAP for their codes. Within the last few years, their re-manned calipers have given me fits. Between leaking a few months after installation and simply locking up, I can't help but wonder if there's something better. I guess there's OEM from the dealer, but that is $$$. Typically, they don't have a lifetime warranty either. For me, it's hard to justify ordering online for calipers. If I need it and don't have a spare vehicle, I can't justify waiting.

Other parts seem to be generally the same price between all the stores. NAPA tends to be a bit more, but they occasionally have sales too. I do know all the parts stores in town are used by indy shops too so the quality can't be that bad.

the companies know the fail in use return rate but won't tell you that.
too bad there are not less than good, good, better, and best choices.
but maybe best is oem,
what you try to avoid is the not good choice.
what messes it up is the 28 year old MBA telling his boss, Look if we change suppliers we can save $0.10 per unit, and what can the customer do if the failure rate tics up?

maybe the warranty of the part is a clue?

odd, I have never seen an article on quality of different reman brands- has anyone??

how do big volume users choose- say NYC police- what brake brands do they use?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ET16

When I was looking for a larger alternator, I went to all three. It's quite clear the remanufacturer and literature is all the same.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
For calipers I would only buy new OEM online.

Not going to happen for older cars. You must pick reman. I feel comfortable with OEM reman. Like the OP I've been taking advantage of advances "lifetime" (which according to the last stooge is one replacement) warranty.
One rear caliper leaked and another locked up and ran the inner pad to nothing. Purchased in 2011.

It is a major chore to get an online order warranted and replaced. Almost like they discourage it.

Last edited:
The aftermarket reman business truly is a race to the bottom.
Harvest is in full swing here and my brother still uses a 1970 Ford F600 grain truck to get to some areas of the field that his semi truck can't reach. The charging system failed on it last night and a quick check showed that the alternator armature had opened up. He needed his truck NOW, so I raced off to O'Reillys to find a replacement alternator. (All other local shops are closed on Saturday PM around here) They didn't have an exact fit. This truck takes an alternator with a double pulley and nobody had one, so I had to reuse the old pulley. The back half of the alternator had to be rotated a third of a turn also to accommodate the wiring, no problem.
One of the most shocking features of this REBUILT alternator (besides the $47 price) was that it was rebuilt in...(drum roll please)....China.
So they can take a bad alternator, ship it to China, rebuild it, and ship it back through multiple ports, interstates and warehouses for $47?
The alternator that I took off was the original alternator. It sits pretty close to the block and the wiring is getting brittle, but the alternator worked like a champ for 47 years. I'm betting this one won't.
I just can't see how a cheapie Chinese alternator is going to last, but it was needed immediately, so that's what I put on it. If this is the new trend, even the rebuilders in Mexico will be closing their doors.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
The aftermarket reman business truly is a race to the bottom.
Harvest is in full swing here and my brother still uses a 1970 Ford F600 grain truck to get to some areas of the field that his semi truck can't reach. The charging system failed on it last night and a quick check showed that the alternator armature had opened up. He needed his truck NOW, so I raced off to O'Reillys to find a replacement alternator. (All other local shops are closed on Saturday PM around here) They didn't have an exact fit. This truck takes an alternator with a double pulley and nobody had one, so I had to reuse the old pulley. The back half of the alternator had to be rotated a third of a turn also to accommodate the wiring, no problem.
One of the most shocking features of this REBUILT alternator (besides the $47 price) was that it was rebuilt in...(drum roll please)....China.
So they can take a bad alternator, ship it to China, rebuild it, and ship it back through multiple ports, interstates and warehouses for $47?
The alternator that I took off was the original alternator. It sits pretty close to the block and the wiring is getting brittle, but the alternator worked like a champ for 47 years. I'm betting this one won't.
I just can't see how a cheapie Chinese alternator is going to last, but it was needed immediately, so that's what I put on it. If this is the new trend, even the rebuilders in Mexico will be closing their doors.

Would probably be worthwhile to keep the original alternator to bring to a local rebuilder to get fixed up. Then he'll have a spare when the $47 one pukes.

My only experiences with remans are Cardone PS pumps. The one for my old Elantra whined and made the steering wheel stiff during cold starts. The one on my Accord is still smooth & quiet after 10K miles. We'll see how long it lasts.

Companies often rebuild parts that are severely worn out to begin with. Part of it is a lack of good cores but it's mostly $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back