350z Junker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good friend of mine found a 05 350z with a supercharger at an auction. No history on the car, but it does have 161,000 miles.Looks like it was either tracked or drag raced to death. It runs good, but pretty sure the motor needs work as it smokes really bad, and has already eaten a quart of oil in about 900 miles. My buddy wants to blow it up on the track, then get everything fixed????? So what oil you suggest? Whatever cheap 50w he can find?

I would get it fixed, but it's not my car....

Last edited:
You aren't going to blow it up on the track with a 50 weight in Arizona, despite what the resident track expert states he's seen many many times.

Your friend is far better not blowing it up, as that's possibly got other consequences elsewhere in the drivetrain.

I would fix it or at least have some fun with it until it finally goes.

I would personally put a fresh engine and transmission in it.

How good of shape is the body? I am assuming rust free, but since she was tracked, it could be wrecked/ dented.

I wouldn't want to blow it up on a track. If it self ventilates then that poses a hazard to the other drivers - even if no one hits it, could ruin someone's trackday.

It does seem a shame to have the destruction of what might be a savable engine as an ownership plan.
I wonder whether this thing might just have gummed up rings? A quart in 900 miles seems like more than you'd lose down the valve guides.
A can of Kreen would answer that question.

Originally Posted By: FranklinJL
Good friend of mine found a 05 350z with a supercharger at an auction. No history on the car, but it does have 161,000 miles.Looks like it was either tracked or drag raced to death. It runs good, but pretty sure the motor needs work as it smokes really bad, and has already eaten a quart of oil in about 900 miles. My buddy wants to blow it up on the track, then get everything fixed????? So what oil you suggest? Whatever cheap 50w he can find?

I would get it fixed, but it's not my car....
Sure, blow it up and take out the tranny and diff along with it. Oil all over the track makes the other drivers happy.

Last edited:
Nitrous. Just keep upping the amount until the desired carnage level result occurs.

Althought that will just make it more expensive to repair. Unless if the plan is to swap motors, this seems unwise.

not your car so stop caring about it.

just if/when your buddy does invite you to ride along at the track say you'll meet him there instead of carpooling in the junker he wants to blow up so you have a ride home

My 03 maxima used a lot of oil. Not quite that much though! Is it missing the cats? Try a pcv oil catch can and some 10w40 max life or other high mileage oil like pennzoil high mileage. Definitely reduced consumption in mine after I did an idle flush with a can of Berryman.

Took the car to a local speed shop that does work on that VQ motor, he luckly talked my friend into getting it fixed. He did a few dyno runs, just to see what he was working with, and it made 421hp to the wheels! So the "cheap" plan is to disassemble to the motor, replace what's worn out, make a few upgrades as needed. I've rebuilt 350s, a few 427s,and 502s..never a 3.5 liter V6 si it will be fun

Don't know what oil was used, but the valves covers have a nasty sticky varnish on them....like cooked frying oil color....

Wow, I would have guessed half of that HP to the wheels. Good idea to replace what's worn out and maybe a few upgrades.

That's because whoever had the car before had the boost set to 14psi....I'm surprised it's held together....what I'm hoping to find is 6 forged race pistons that just need rings....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back