Can we now agree that Fram is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say the best (maybe their ultras) but their filters have certainly taken a turn for the better. All products do this I feel. They start cutting down in quality to the point that it is causing issues then they clear the chalkboard and start making a higher quality product again.

I will continue to use filters in this order: napa proselect, OEM, Fram. Fram last due to price point. I think the OEM is the best value at just over 5$, but Im getting proselects for under 4$, while I buy other items as well. Cheapest Fram is the orange can for 7.75 and tax at the store. Double the price of the proselect...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
So painting Fram with a "broad stroke" won't fly with you, but then you claim that all filters below a certain point are "junk"? One more example of the typical BITOG nonsense.

I read your post before looking to see who wrote it and I thought to myself, "That's probably Pop_Rivit writing that" ... Sure enough! LOL
crackmeup2.gif

You guys are SEVERELY limiting your choices to the ultimate detriment of your engine.

Subaru Fram-aroo and Honda Frondas Blue Cans are passable; For the Nissan I'm liking the oversize Gonher mexico for the Nissan specd for the Titan Truck V8 engine - you may want to try the Nissan OE on Honda - same filter. It "appears" better put together than a Fram BCOUD. Prior to that the Honda PCX-004 S2000 filter was bestus for a nissan Honda application.

Wally bought frammies or pure-oil-ators just don't work right here. Sorry.

Last edited:
I am using a Fram for the first time in many years, an Ultra cartridge on my mom's Saturn Vue. I found one on Amazon for only $1 more than anything local (actually same price as the regular Fram at Walmart).
That said, it is probably my last too. I found they do make the Supertech for her car and it is less than $3.
This change will be with the Ultra and some Pennzoil Platinum. After that I will just do Supertech HM oil and the ST filter every 5k.

I do agree they are not bad, my main gripe with them has always been price for my applications. I could get Motorcraft filters for less than the cheapest Frams and the Motorcraft was a better filter. With the issues that seem be be going on with the FL820S, I am not going to get more.
I will just wait for NAPA Gold filters to go on sale for the Scion; for my truck, I am debating the Supertech filter, but am not crazy for the combo valve on them. I may just get a few with the NAPA Golds on sale too.

My vote is that Fram is the best overall brand. However, there are other brands that seem to do better in specific applications. Such as Mann does extremely well with Volkswagen filters.

I have been using Fram filters for decades. Never one problem and they lack the dangerous metal end caps that are the cause of over 94% of filter failures. All of the torn filters you see are metal end cap filters. So, Fram is my go to filter.

There are many oil filters that will work equally well in most of our vehicles. I use Fram Ultra's because they are one of the best made oil filters and are easy to find locally...

Last edited:
I guess it depends on which Fram are we talking about.
Fram have at least 3 different tiers of oil filter, may be more.

The Orange (low end), I am still not sure but also depends on application.
For some Diesel truck, there are a few occurences of this filter collapsing when it gets hot.
If you want high end, I will get the NAPA's low end line like Silver.

The Ultra (high end), I have used it without any issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I stick with MANN then Mahle for the sled.
same thing as a purolator
crackmeup2.gif
Yeah, right......

Originally Posted By: Doog
I have been using Fram filters for decades. Never one problem and they lack the dangerous metal end caps that are the cause of over 94% of filter failures. All of the torn filters you see are metal end cap filters. So, Fram is my go to filter.

What are you talking about? It's not the metal but the cardboard parts in Frams that have caused all the problems over the years. Fram has earned a terrible reputation because of this. Looks like they may be turning things around as of recent. I've been on this form for a long time and I've never seen a problem caused by metal parts, only cardboard parts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Wally bought frammies or pure-oil-ators just don't work right here. Sorry.

LOL how do they not work? This website is worthless these days.

Im not sure if id say they are the BEST overall, but they do make an excellent filter in the ULTRA. Ive been using it for a couple of years now with no issues on both cars without hesitation.

The Fram end caps in question here are not cardboard. They are a fiber that easily absorbs adhesive, which allows the filter media and end caps to bond and become one piece. There is nothing dangerous about those end caps. Any negative stigma is in people's heads.

Anyway, I had a small stash of orange cans for my car so I used the last one today. Gonna use ToughGuards after this because I love that they're are 99% efficient and have a silicone ADBV for barely more money than the orange can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back