Wendy's Chili Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: totegoat
I like chili without kidney beans. Pinto's are good. My store bought is chili without beans.

Real chili does not have any beans in it. If you look at some of the recipes that have won cook offs and awards you won't find many with beans in there.

When my mom made chili it did not contain beans or ground beef. She used round steak that had been cooked in a pressure cooker, same with her spaghetti sauce.

Wendy's chili will do in a pinch but if I was going to make chili there is certainly a lot better.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I'm not fond of tomato in my chili. My favorite is Hard Times Texas Chili mix. Alternative is Taco seasoning with extra helpings of chili power, diced onion and garlic. I small can of black beans optional (for 3 lbs beef) if you don't mind the extra carbs...or just go 1/2 can and freeze the other half for the next batch. I don't make chili in the summer because I hate to add extra heat to the house for 2-3 hours, but cool weather will be here soon.

https://www.hardtimeschili.com/chilli-spice-mixes

I will say that I enjoy Hard Times (in Old Town but Ive also been to the big one in Waldorf). Their Cincinnati is not Skyline but as close as youll get premade in a restaurant outside of their market. I like their Texas chili, its dark, meaty and has good flavor. The others are good too, but I usually get half and half of those on a five way...

In general, I make Cincinnati chili about 2:1 versus other types. But Wendy's is definitely not one that Id want to make, personally. Its more like tomatoes, peppers and yesterday's hamburgers...

I was going to order a few things from Hard Times. $14 shipping. Plus $1 handing fee. I passed.

i'm having a blast with the supposed basic wendy's recipe....

last week i used fresh tomatoes, fresh onion and a red bell pepper that i cut into chunks then i sauteed them all together in a large pan to bring out a nice set of flavors. when done cooking to the consistency i liked, i chopped it all up in a food processor on low to what i felt was a good consistency, then added that to the recipe.

keep cooking!

grin.gif

Last edited:
Out walking the dog this morning about 6 am cst and 46 degrees(already...jeesh) anyway thought this is a good day for chili, so i got another crock full of chili going for tonight!

Wendy's chili tastes ok but is more like a chili soup than real chili. I like my chili to be thicker and have more meat in it. Up here in Canada we have Tim Horton's chili everywhere which is my favorite chili of all.

greetings patman:

this here recipe is really kind of thick and meaty(as well as beany) and since i like my chili kind of juicy(not soupy if there is a difference! LOL), i have been adding a can of beef stock liquid or chicken broth which ever i have on hand.

One can adjust the ingredients and tailor it to their pallete as I have done. I have mentioned a few of those changes along the way and someday i may post up my most current list of ingredients and methods. For example, i'm not sure if i have mentioned but i brown my onions very lightly in a bit of butter or just spray the pan with Pam what ever I have on hand.

I also season my hamburger meat after i brown and have let it sit on a bunch of paper towels to let any additional grease drain. Seasoning for meat i use is garlic powder, a little onion powder or onion flakes(not too much as already onions going in fresh) a little black pepper-what every i may have:fine ground, or coarse ground if none then I keep pepper corns on hand for fresh ground, and a dash of Mrs Lowery's Southwest chipotle. The spices on meat is just very lightly as a package of chili seasoning is going in later. I prefer to taste the seasoned meat when i bite into it as opposed to non seasoned meat when i am eating it, strictly a personal thingy!

Instead of the green bell peppers, i have used banana peppers(just 1 or 2 and sometimes none) that I keep in the freezer as i have boiled and frozen fresh from the garden this summer.

Instead of the big kidney beans it calls for, i use the great northern beans which I prefer.

Enjoy the chili this season!

Last edited:
hatt's world famous 20 minute chili.

Dice onion.
Saute half of the onion is a little oil, salt and pepper.
If you have some sort of peppers, dice and add them after a few minutes.
Cook for a bit and add a pound or two of hamburger, salt and pepper
Mince a few cloves of garlic, add when burger is about done.
Finish browning burger.
Add a couple cans of chili beans. Kidney, red, black, mix works fine too. Drain beans other than the chili beans.
Add a little of some sort of tomato sauce. If using chili beans you can skip this step.
Add a little water(use the chili bean cans). I add a little more if I'm cooking rice to go with it(maybe 1/2 can), a little less if eating plain or with crackers(1/4).
Add chili powder to taste
Bring to simmer, turn off heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes and it's done.
A little shredded cheese and diced onions on top.

I made a very meaty chili. Used 80/20 ground beef, 1 can partially drained light red kidney beans, 1 can partially drained pinto beans, 2 small cans partially drained Rotel tomatoes, a pack and a half French's Chili-O chili seasoning, a half cup light brown sugar, about a tablespoon of cumin, one medium sized red bell pepper diced, one small jalapeño diced, one small banana pepper diced, and 3/4 of a sweet yellow onion diced. I browned the hamburger with the peppers and onion, drained the meat, then but the meat and pepper mixture in the crock pot with the other stuff and let it cook on low all day. Going to dig in shortly and garnish it with Boar's Head white Vermont cheddar and eat with saltines and/ or corn chips.

Note that this will be slightly sweet, and has no real tomato taste at all. I only mention this because some people like a tomatoey chili. I'd also recommend doubling the peppers and onions, because mine cooked away in the crock pot. Still really good though, and very hardy. Great for these cool evenings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back