debris in drained oil, how bad is this? (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the particles appear to be sizes the filter should've captured. Therefore, either the filter failed, the filter was clogged and bypassing, or the junk came from outside the engine.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
You sure it isn't debris that was on the bottom of your drain pan in the first place? Cut open your oil filter for a look and tell us what you find.

That's what it looked like to me, or as someone else said, it could have fallen into the pan from the bottom of the car.

No one said you can't take the oil filter off at 1000 miles and cut it open, it would cost you all of one oil filter. I would do that first thing.

ROD

I had that grit in my toyota tacoma. I just used Mobil 7500 10w30 and Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver. After a few oci and regular highway driving it became almost non existant.

Just run the Mobil 1 for 5K, and then keep an eye on things. I wouldn't bother with a UOA unless you really plan on keeping this thing for a long time. I'd just use 5W-30 (the cheapest syn on rebate or store brand) and not worry about it.

Are you sure some dirt or debris didn't come off the bottom of the car frame and get into the pan?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
This engine is begging for a UOA.

Why play a bunch of guessing games when you can have a professional laboratory tell you exactly what is in there for the price of a pizza?

Good call on the M1 0/40. I'd stay with that oil no matter what.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
This engine is begging for a UOA.

Why play a bunch of guessing games when you can have a professional laboratory tell you exactly what is in there for the price of a pizza?

What lab and what test is going to show what those chunks are?

Originally Posted By: CR94
Many of the particles appear to be sizes the filter should've captured. Therefore, either the filter failed, the filter was clogged and bypassing, or the junk came from outside the engine.

That's a duff deduction, in principle, and by experience.

If the particles are heavy enough, they may settle out in the sump, and not get to the filter.

If the particles are big enough, they may be stopped by the oil pickup strainer, and not get to the filter.

This of course does mean that the filter has not failed, the filter was not clogged and bypassing, or that the junk did not come from outside the engine, just that these are not the only possibilities.

Sorry, "This of course does mean that the filter has not failed,"...etc should of course have been

"This of course does NOT mean that the filter has not failed,"...etc.

I would run Maxlife red bottle (semi-syn) 5W30 and use a Fram Ultra filter... Do a couple of 3K OCI's. Change the oil filter every other oil change.

I'm in the dirty oil drain pan camp. The drain pan needs to be scrupulously clean, which can be difficult with a pan with lots of nooks and crannies like the OP has. Dirt can also migrate off of the drain plug, or off of the bottom of the oil pan, or anywhere else the draining oil comes into contact with.

Originally Posted By: Le_bow_ski
I'm in the dirty oil drain pan camp. The drain pan needs to be scrupulously clean, which can be difficult with a pan with lots of nooks and crannies like the OP has. Dirt can also migrate off of the drain plug, or off of the bottom of the oil pan, or anywhere else the draining oil comes into contact with.

Same here which I posted days ago. If that wasn't in the pan or fell off the bottom of the vehicle into the pan, there's something going on inside that engine.

Originally Posted By: John_Dude
I'll cut open this filter at the next change, old one is gone. I just ordered a blackstone UOA also. Drain pain was very clean beforehand.

How did you collect the oil for the test?

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Sorry, "This of course does mean that the filter has not failed,"...etc should of course have been

"This of course does NOT mean that the filter has not failed,"...etc.

This change would actually be a double negative, but I think we know what you mean: There is still a possibility that the filter failed.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back