Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! This is my first post on this site and am looking forward to reading your comments on this thread(Go easy on me)! I have searched a lot on here already but I find myself kind of overwhelmed with all the information regarding what is a good oil for my application. Anyways let's get to it...

1. What kind of vehicle you have?

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS LS3 with long tube headers and no cats. The car has 70k miles and I am currently running Redline 5w30.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well

5w30 Mobil 1 Dexos1?? Change interval based on the OLM reading.

3. Where you live?

Northern Florida

4. How you drive? (easy? hard? fast? slow?)

All of the above! I mostly just cruise in a 5th Gear with the rpms around 2000. The car does see close to redline a couple times a week.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)

Short Trips mostly under 8 miles to and from work. I don't get on it until the car has had a chance to come up to operating temperature. Driving is a mix of city that's stoplight to stoplight and Slow Highways 55-60 mph speed limit.

6. Whether your car has any known problems?

The car has no known problems thus far!

I am posting this as I will be installing an upgraded camshaft kit in the coming months and wanted to pick your brains as to which oil and viscosity I should go with. I was looking at Redline, Joe Gibbs, Brad Penn, and Rotella T6. Thank you for reading!

If happy with Red line and cost I'd stick with it 5w30 is fine. Question what is the oil filter in use.

I am currently using the Amsoil Ea15k50 oil filter as I had a surplus of them.

Originally Posted By: BkOB
Hi everyone! This is my first post on this site and am looking forward to reading your comments on this thread(Go easy on me)! I have searched a lot on here already but I find myself kind of overwhelmed with all the information regarding what is a good oil for my application. Anyways let's get to it...

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS LS3 with long tube headers and no cats. The car has 70k miles and I am currently running Redline 5w30.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well

3. Where you live?

Northern Florida

All of the above! I mostly just cruise in a 5th Gear with the rpms around 2000. The car does see close to redline a couple times a week.

Short Trips mostly under 8 miles to and from work. I don't get on it until the car has had a chance to come up to operating temperature. Driving is a mix of city that's stoplight to stoplight and Slow Highways 55-60 mph speed limit.

I am posting this as I will be installing an upgraded camshaft kit in the coming months and wanted to pick your brains as to which oil and viscosity I should go with. I was looking at Redline, Joe Gibbs, Brad Penn, and Rotella T6. Thank you for reading!

Pennzoil platinum is the same GTL base as T6 and available cheaper and in 5w-30. No reason to change viscosity.

I am currently using the Amsoil Ea15k50 oil filter as I had a surplus of them.
I wouldn't change a thing and run full OLM possibly a UOA with TBN after cam break in see how things are I would suspect no problem at all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! What would you guys recommend for cam break in? Something like a non-synthetic racing oil for like 50-100 miles?

Thanks for the replies! What would you guys recommend for cam break in? Something like a non-synthetic racing oil for like 50-100 miles?

You don't need special oil. New engines don't need special oil.

Redline 5w30 sounds great in your app. Its hard on cats but since yours were either stolen/never put on from factory(wink) you dont have to worry about the high zinc. Redline was in my Hyundai Accent once in 5w30 and it was too quiet. I should have ran 5w20.Its thick but worked great on my gdi and its noisy timing chain. Keep running what you got.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KingCake

3. Where you live?

Northern Florida

Pennzoil platinum is the same GTL base as T6 and available cheaper and in 5w-30. No reason to change viscosity.

Is that so?
The last that I knew was that T6 used Shell's HVI slack-wax derived basestock.
To the OP, if you have no problems paying for Red Line, I don't think you'll find a better oil for this application, although anything meeting A3/B4 would probably work as well.

If you have the money, stick with Red Line. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Roller cam, so unless the springs are race rate pressures, there is no need to get all fancy with the oil. You'll have to give us the cam, the lifters, the springs and the rocker arms before we can even begin to analyze this situation. Need the open and closed spring pressures at recommended installed heights, etc.

Any other mods planned at the same time?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Roller cam, so unless the springs are race rate pressures, there is no need to get all fancy with the oil. You'll have to give us the cam, the lifters, the springs and the rocker arms before we can even begin to analyze this situation. Need the open and closed spring pressures at recommended installed heights, etc.

Any other mods planned at the same time?

The cam is a custom grind 8620 3 bolt core from Cam Motion spec'd by Pat G. It's a 232/240 with a max loft of .626. Brian tooley dual .660 valve springs with titanium retainers. Stock rocker arms at 1.7 ratio. LS7 hydraulic Lifters. Chromoly hardened pushrods 5/16" and 7.400". Straub Technologies solid bronze bushing Trunion upgrade. Melling high volume oil pump and c7R timing chain with ls2 dogbone damper. ARP bolts for everything. I don't know the spring pressure at open or closed. The cam will make peak power at 6800 with a 7k redline. This is my build on my LS3, thank you for your input

Last edited:
With that much lift and a 7000 redline, you can bet he's got high valve spring pressuse open and closed. Stock springs won't work with that lift and rpm.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
With that much lift and a 7000 redline, you can bet he's got high valve spring pressuse open and closed. Stock springs won't work with that lift and rpm.

ROD

Correct the stock springs will not be able to handle that cam. That's why I am upgrading to the Brian Tooley .660 Platinum Dual Springs.

Valvoline VR1 10W30, a high zinc (ZDDP) mineral oil formulated for race engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back