chinese filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was running some errands and stopped at an auto parts place I dont usually stop at, they sell Federated filters (rebadged Hastings/Baldwin) I need to change the oil on my Ranger and my buddy was with me so he picked up some filters for his 5.3 Vortec. Great price $2.16 each. While the filters for my 3.0 Ranger are clearly Baldwin made, his are chinese made. PG2222F, filter is heavy and seems well built, center tube with holes not louvers. On the filter itself it says Made in China by a TS16949 and ISO9001 certified company, on the bottom it says leak tested. Should he steer clear of these or run them with confidence? Didnt realize they were Chinese made until after we got in the truck.

Probably the same filters that advance use to use as their economy line. Better built than I thought they would be. Should be fine for a 5k run IMO.

its like the guy that owns weather tech - the quality made in USA floor mats and car accessories line.
he says something to the effect that we buy chinese to save 50 cents on a $6 tape measure and he questions why we do that.

oil filters i like Fram ultra and denso

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
its like the guy that owns weather tech - the quality made in USA floor mats and car accessories line.
he says something to the effect that we buy chinese to save 50 cents on a $6 tape measure and he questions why we do that.

Being as Harbor Freight gives tape measures away for free just what is the owner of weather tech talking about?

Myself, I buy Fram Ultra, regardless where it's made.

Last edited:

Investors demand you make that extra 50 cents if you can. Weather tech guy sounds naive.

$2.16 each- amazing. Hard to believe anyone could make one for that and make money.

whats the cheapest made in America competing filter ?

Supertechs are < $3

I just bought a CQ Red filter at Advance for $2.96 and it says Made in USA.

Chinese made goods can be high quality or [censored], or anything in between. Broadly speaking it comes down to how the parent company manages the relationship with the factory and it's supply chain. You absolutely need "boots on the ground", in other words your own people, back in China to actively monitor the manufacturing relationship. If you don't, they will screw you to increase their profit. But if you don't let that happen, the product can be as good as that made anywhere.

Wages in China are low, but they are not the lowest wage manufacturing nation, not by a long shot. It wasn't the case 15 years ago, but these days China and Mexico are pretty much equal wage-wise ( $2/hr-ish). India and most of Asia is cheaper if that's your main cost, as is Central and South America. There are reasons beyond wages why China gets the contracts.

The supporting infrastructure plays a huge role, and China has that in spades.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
super tech may be three dollars but these are two and why knows they could be better

Maybe you're a pink unicorn, who knows. See why baseless speculation is bad?

Originally Posted By: car51
Obviously no one here took a gander at the Parts Plus Filter I posted a few days ago.

I saw it. thanks for posting! looked like a decent enough filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back