Interesting find: Petro Canada Duron XL 15W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recently found something interesting in the datasheet of Petro Canada Duron XL 15W40:
The PDS ( http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/resour...&region=int ) mentions ester content.

Now the interesting question is: Is the ester used to mix the zinc content since it's mentioned in the same cell as zinc, or is it proper ester content as Motul or other ester based oils?

Does anyone read more out of this PDS than I can?

Thanks

That's hard to say; maybe a formulator can help us out. That particular product is marketed as a synthetic blend, for what it's worth, rather than tiered as either a full synthetic or a conventional.

Thats what the Co-op specs for their blend oils. It appears they do not use group 3 at all. Everything is group 2 and 4.

Duron would be 2 & just enough 3 to get the cold performance on target without an abundance if VIIs.
Nothing exotic, its just their old CI-4+ product, still in demand.

Duron XL 15/40 is my go-to oil since they quit making the 10/40. My current motorcycle's transmission is very sensitive to the oil. I can go 6000 kms without the transmission getting excessively "notchy".

I tried the Rotella 15/40 (got it real cheap) and the transmission was notchy right from the getgo. Even the full synthetic Duron 10/40 produced a notchy tranny sooner than expected.

In the quest for fuel economy, many HDEOs may be moving away from friction enhanced additive packages for wet clutch compatibility,
to friction reducing additives.
Both lubricant types would be considered friction modified, but with opposite intention.
My position is, that if the clutch is slipping, it is getting hot and out of adjustment.
I think VII free, friction enhanced engine oil is the best choice for shared engine/transmission/wet clutch applications.
My question always remains the same. Do you need a multi grade engine oil for motorcycles?
Most modern mono grade SAE 30s will pass 20W and SAE 40s, 25W. Good to just below freezing, and who besides BMW owners, like to ride in that weather?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
In the quest for fuel economy, many HDEOs may be moving away from friction enhanced additive packages for wet clutch compatibility,
to friction reducing additives.
Both lubricant types would be considered friction modified, but with opposite intention.
My position is, that if the clutch is slipping, it is getting hot and out of adjustment.
I think VII free, friction enhanced engine oil is the best choice for shared engine/transmission/wet clutch applications.
My question always remains the same. Do you need a multi grade engine oil for motorcycles?
Most modern mono grade SAE 30s will pass 20W and SAE 40s, 25W. Good to just below freezing, and who besides BMW owners, like to ride in that weather?

KLR riders, Husqvarna riders, KTM riders,Vstrom riders, Tiger riders..... lots of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back