I really hate people on craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as the title says I detest people on craigslist. Well, to be more accurate, the low life buyers. Never really had an issue with any sellers there. And I know there are a lot of good people who buy on CL but it just seems like the losers and scum have grown exponentially in the last year or so.

I have a car up for sale there I just listed. My asking price is $700 more( and best offer added )than KBB/Nada for the condition of the model with the mileage and options it has. However, this vehicle has had a ton of recent and very expensive work including a trans rebuild which I clearly noted. The book values don't take into account things like rebuilt drivetrains, new tires, etc... My price is not unreasonable when you add in the work done and that the price is OBO so clearly I don't expect to get that figure( you have to start high to get what you hope for ).

Anyway, I just listed it last night and was surprised to see a response in my email so soon this afternoon. Should have know it was an [censored]. This is the message...

Congratualtions. You just won the most overpriced car on craigslist award.

Not only are there the exact same year and model vehicles, with more mileage than mine without all the bonus work I have done, listed but is a message like that really called for? I mean get a life. If he thinks it is too high then just move on. Why send something like that if not purposely to be a jerk. It is stuff like that which makes me hate the place.

Just venting. Sorry guys. Been a bad day and then this loser sends that. Makes me want to track him down and
09.gif

Last edited:
Yep, gotta wade through a lot of trash on CL.

No need to get your blood pressure up. Just move on.

Interesting. Ive never had any jerks like that. I have had some lowball offers, but the nice thing about email is the little trash can icon you can click.

The issue I have with CL is when people don't show... and you've interrupted other plans...

Like I said, it was a bad day here anyway so it sort of hit at the wrong time.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Like I said, it was a bad day here anyway so it sort of hit at the wrong time.

I'd be mad too if I wasted my hard earned money on royal purple snake oil.

sold about 100 things on craigslist, two cars, never a problem.

I used to own some apartments and would buy and sell appliances to outfit my apartments with.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Around here and can save anywhere from $10-$20 by going to the store and buying the item brand new.

But your not getting the green fuzzies from recycling:)

Your asking $700 more than KBB, what do you expect? You can't expect to recoup a percentage of past repairs when selling a used vehicle.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Your asking $700 more than KBB, what do you expect? You can't expect to recoup a percentage of past repairs when selling a used vehicle.

Once he pulls out a folder with all his receipts...
Car price is FIRM. Tiny wiggle room if you have DD214 paperwork.

At least it was over email. I'd be mad if I have to meet halfway or at their hometown and the dude flaked out because he could not text or call showing no interest even 30 mins before our scheduled meetup time. And I'm usually the lenient type.

I mostly buy and sell used car parts and transactions have been excellent for me. I recently bought some wheels from a dude on CL and what was supposed to be a quick transaction turned into an hour long talk about cars.

How can you "hate the place (CL)" because of one person you disagree with?

I also agree with skyactiv in principle. Does the $700 extra you are charging actually represent something of value to the buyer?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Just as the title says I detest people on craigslist. Well, to be more accurate, the low life buyers. Never really had an issue with any sellers there. And I know there are a lot of good people who buy on CL but it just seems like the losers and scum have grown exponentially in the last year or so.

I have a car up for sale there I just listed. My asking price is $700 more( and best offer added )than KBB/Nada for the condition of the model with the mileage and options it has. However, this vehicle has had a ton of recent and very expensive work including a trans rebuild which I clearly noted. The book values don't take into account things like rebuilt drivetrains, new tires, etc... My price is not unreasonable when you add in the work done and that the price is OBO so clearly I don't expect to get that figure( you have to start high to get what you hope for ).

Anyway, I just listed it last night and was surprised to see a response in my email so soon this afternoon. Should have know it was an [censored]. This is the message...

Congratualtions. You just won the most overpriced car on craigslist award.

Not only are there the exact same year and model vehicles, with more mileage than mine without all the bonus work I have done, listed but is a message like that really called for? I mean get a life. If he thinks it is too high then just move on. Why send something like that if not purposely to be a jerk. It is stuff like that which makes me hate the place.

Just venting. Sorry guys. Been a bad day and then this loser sends that. Makes me want to track him down and
09.gif

On my ads I usually put something like "low ballers will be ignored". You could put something to the effect if you want a cheap car car that will nickel And dime you, then keep searching.

Of course people want deals on their purchases. Maybe drive the Car near yue entrance to a Walmart parking lot with a for sale sign on it too as well as your post on CL.

It's hard to get above average price for an above average car. Better to pass the creampuff on to a friend or relative for a fair price.

Also, buyers seem to think a car that just got a $2000 transmission is a magnet prone to attracting $2000 bills. They'd rather hear that you just changed the oil and kept the rust off.

repairs generally do not increase the value of a car, it just makes it par.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

The trans rebuild alone was almost what I am asking for the vehicle itself. It is a common problem on these vehicles( the trans model actually )and one of the things that lowers their resale. KBB/NADA do not take into account situations like this where common and expensive problems have actually already been fixed making the vehicle more reliable and thus worth more. I have fixed other common issues with the model as well as doing a lot of other things that cost some $$$ to do.

I am not trying to recoup money already spent. Never said I was. However, I don't feel it is unreasonable to feel the vehicle is worth a bit more than others like it that have had none of this work done. If you were buying used and you had 2 identical vehicles to choose from and both had the same mileage, but one of them had the known major issues already fixed and then some, wouldn't it be worth more than one that hadn't had those things already fixed? Wouldn't it be a safer and better buy?

Does it really make sense to say the KBB/NADA book price, that doesn't take into account the possibility of major repairs that raise the vehicle's value have been done, apply to all those vehicles regardless of the work done? No, of course not. If a car has a rebuilt trans or motor, new brakes, new tires, new this or new that, it removes a lot of doubt about what might happen down the road and thus it is worth more. That is common sense not greed or anything like that.

I will also point out that the asking price is OBO so I have left it open to selling it for a bit less.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
repairs generally do not increase the value of a car, it just makes it par.

I disagree when you are talking vehicles with 125K+ like this. On vehicles like that book value assumes the vehicles are running with 125K+ drivetrains. IF repairs have been done, like rebuilding the motor or trans, that most definitely ads value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back