2004 MGM.How Many Quarts For Trans Pan Drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to be changing the transmission fluid on a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis with 60,000 miles..It is the first pan drop and filter change ever for this car..How many quarts of Mercon 5 does it take with Filter?
I am using Motorcraft Mercon 5 and a Motorcraft dealer trans filter. My brother should be doing this because he had a transmission business for years and a new shop now but he does not like the person that has this car and wont do anything for him..

Normally it is 7-8 quarts for a pan drop on one of these. If this is the first pan drop, you will see a little thing floating in the pan. It is the plug for the dipstick hole from when the transmission was assembled. They punch it into the pan when the dipstick goes in. Also the gasket is elastomeric and should be reusable.

Doesn't that have the 4R70W? If so just a pan drop/filter change should be ~5 qts.
I know in my '02 F150 with the 4R70W it is almost 5 qts with a filter change, right at 4 qts with I just drain the pan.
The '04 F150 that I did a pan drop with filter change that has a 4R75W was the same, just under 5 qts.

I was helping yesterday with pan drops on CVPI 2001, Towncar 2004 and Mityvac on a CVPI 2005. On pan dropped ones 4 qt was max, on the 2005 anything over 3.8 qts would cause rather pronounced thuds with gear changes, especially into R. Was rechecked with dipstick readings before and after 35 mile circle run on highway and city for each vehicle. Granted 2005+ had some funny AT changes all the way to the end of life. So, be careful and check everything twice. Dipstick readings on panthers can be tricky and require some experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back