Isuzu 3.5 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Friend bought a 2003 3.5L Rodeo.
I has green coolant in it. Probably a Green HOAT as they are common here.
I assume it should have Dexcool? Dexcool is not that easy to get and I'd prefer the longest life coolant possible so I'm thinking of going Penrite Si-Oat (G40).

Isn't the 03 Rodeo basically a rebadged Honda Passport? That being the case, the "Green" you found could well be an older green tinted Asian vehicle PHOAT. It had a shorter service interval than the newer PHOAT premixes, but a PHOAT AF nonetheless. I'll give you a couple links to look at which reference Beck Arnley AFs, a pretty well respected name in import parts/fluids. First is the older green PHOAT, second is newer extended life premix AF. Not promoting BA per se, just trying to give reference to spec Rodeo AF. All that said, not sure what is available Down Under.

https://www.carid.com/2003-isuzu-rodeo-o...e-87563528.html

https://www.carid.com/2003-isuzu-rodeo-o...e-87563529.html

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Isn't the 03 Rodeo basically a rebadged Honda Passport?

I think it was the other way around. Honda sold the Rodeo re-badged as a Passport. The engine is Isuzu's V engine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_V_engine

Hokiefyd is correct. I actually had the other side of the swap. I had a 99 Isuzu Oasis, which was a rebadged old-style Honda Odyssey.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Isn't the 03 Rodeo basically a rebadged Honda Passport?

I think it was the other way around.

I stand corrected.
cheers3.gif
Info on BA AF listing for 03 Isuzu, does indicate PHOAT type.

Green coolant is what our 2002 and 2003 Rodeo 3.2's used as well as the 1998 and 2001 Trooper 3.5L another family member had back in the day.

In the States, what we called the Rodeo never got the 3.5L until it's final model year (2004), where an optional direct injected 3.5L was available.

Either way, great engines provided you kept a proper oil level and kept the EGR plumbing clean. Cracked intake manifold gaskets were a common problem, but easy to replace.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I miss Joe Isuzu

Those commercials were great.

I miss Isuzu USA in general. They were too little too late. Remember the Axiom or Vehicross? Most people don't. So many other makes/models basically copied these SUVs later on.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I miss Joe Isuzu

Those commercials were great.

I miss Isuzu USA in general. They were too little too late. Remember the Axiom or Vehicross? Most people don't. So many other makes/models basically copied these SUVs later on.

They were both great vehicles. I always loved the troopers too

Regarding the coolant - good old green will do just fine or if you wanted something that'll last you a long time I would go with Peak Global (its in the gold bottles.) Not sure if you can get it down under but do a few flushes with distilled water and fill 50/50 with PG and you should be set for life....just about

I'd suggest trying to figure out what the manufacturer used from new, and purchasing something with the equivalent specification.

Remember, all these different coolants may or may not contain Phosphates, Silicates, Nitrite, Amine, perhaps others. A HOAT coolant is usually Silicate + Organic additives.

For example, the BMW G48 stuff is Nitrite, Amine and Phosphate free, but contains silicates.
"Toyota Red" contains Phosphates, and maybe some other additives if memory serves correctly.

The point is, there is a specific "formula" the manufacturer intended for use in your engine. Find out about it, flush out whatever stuff is in there properly and refill with the OEM or OEM equivalent. You don't want to chance your engine on whatever witches brew the P.O. and/or their mechanic used, especially if mixing OAT/HOAT and traditional coolants.

Last edited:
Over here Rodeos were badged GM Holden Rodeo. We got the 3.2L up to 2002 and then the 3.5L port injection from 2003 and then the 3.6L from 2006. I did a little looking and it looks like the switch from green to red was in 2003 when the 3.5L was introduced. The spec for the 3.5L is GM6277M - dexcool.

Given it's had unknown green in there for some time would you bother switching back?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back