Ceramic pads optimal in -20 fahrenheit winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to determine if ceramic brake pads are optimal in -20 fahrenheit winters with snow/ice/salt as compared to pads with a ferro-carbon/semi-metallic/carbon-metallic composition? Canadian winters... I need new brake pads, I have cryogenicly treated rotors on order.

The very large majority of passenger vehicles sold currently come stock with ceramic pads but I'm wondering how much of that has to do with keeping wheels clean and being quiet... I'm more interested in stoping optimally in winter with my favourite winter tires. I also used to do track days in my track only car (Hawk HP plus pads), I am a licensed motorcycle riding instructor, and never had a motor vehicle accident, so let's say for arguments sake that I'm an average driver, and the only variable to consider at this time is brake pads. I'm also a scientist, so everything I do takes more time due to overthinking...

I obviously wouldn't pick high performance pads as the temperature for braking I will experience while getting groceries is likely between -30 and +350 Fahrenheit.

I am strongly considering going for OE pads from the dealership, they happen to be ceramic.

Thoughts on ceramic vs other composition pads in cold wet winters?

I bet that the Akebono Proact ceramics would be good as well. I have the GG rated Akebono Performance street pads on my car and they've been very good. But I obviously don't see -20 either
smile.gif
Alltime record low temp in my area was -12°F in January 1985.

Ceramic is merely a buzz world - pads labeled as "ceramic" are pads that contain some amount of ceramic fibers.

As I mentioned in another thread, some full ceramic pads do have reduced bite compared to the factory pads. I've found that the OE pad from the dealer (not value line, the real factory-original ones) provide the best pedal feel, longevity and noise control overall.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I bet that the Akebono Proact ceramics would be good as well. I have the GG rated Akebono Performance street pads on my car and they've been very good. But I obviously don't see -20 either
smile.gif

The Akebono GG rated performance street pads are at the top of my list along with the factory original pads.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Ceramic is merely a buzz world - pads labeled as "ceramic" are pads that contain some amount of ceramic fibers.

As I mentioned in another thread, some full ceramic pads do have reduced bite compared to the factory pads. I've found that the OE pad from the dealer (not value line, the real factory-original ones) provide the best pedal feel, longevity and noise control overall.

I went to my dealership last year and the parts guy brought me out the brakes for my 2005 4Runner, we both learned that those pads were branded Sumitomo. I'm not sure if those were the factory original pads, or how to determine if I'm asking for/buying the factory original pads. Any ideas?

I think ceramic pads suck. They're great for clean wheels. I'll take any semi-metallic pad over a ceramic.

Originally Posted By: Bikeman
Originally Posted By: The Critic

I went to my dealership last year and the parts guy brought me out the brakes for my 2005 4Runner, we both learned that those pads were branded Sumitomo. I'm not sure if those were the factory original pads, or how to determine if I'm asking for/buying the factory original pads. Any ideas?

Toyota pads are usually AISIN brand or Akebono. You can find OE supplier in Worldpac. But i'd save the time and just buy the akebono proacts. You will not be disappointed. I've had comebacks on every type of pad at one point or another. NEVER with akebono proacts.

Akebono ceramics were not amazing in my eyes. Mine were FF rated and had much less bite than semi metallic. Im thinking of going back to semi metallic. I would also tend to agree with Critic..OEM semi metallics have good bite and lower dust than many others. In winter semi metallic is superior

Those of us living trying to live where temps are bone numbing cold for almost half the year I prefer a semi metallic. Just installed a set on a Ford Transit Connect last week with drilled and channeled zinc platted rotors. Feel good so far in the rain compared to the OEM.

Originally Posted By: Bikeman
Originally Posted By: bbhero
smile.gif

The Akebono GG rated performance street pads are at the top of my list along with the factory original pads.

The last few sets of Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic pads I've put on were GG rated as well..

Frankly Nissan proves the factory does not always make the "best" decision on OEM pad materials. Read up on them, there has been some serious criticism of their pad selections. One rag even wrecked a 370z at the track due to complete pad fade. But many drivers would never notice fade in ordinary driving.

The moral of the story is select your pads based on how you plan to use them. Cruiser? Get any pad you want. Enthusiast? choose from millions of flavors just like ice cream. But no pad can simply be the "best". Many here buy a brand assuming the materials are the same no matter the application. And the same pad characteristics that shine at the track often give poor street manners.

OP, please investigate Stoptech pads. They are a proprietary blend that offers excellent street manners with great track capability. Just depends on what you put them on and how you want to use them.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Frankly Nissan proves the factory does not always make the "best" decision on OEM pad materials. Read up on them, there has been some serious criticism of their pad selections. One rag even wrecked a 370z at the track due to complete pad fade. But many drivers would never notice fade in ordinary driving.

The moral of the story is select your pads based on how you plan to use them. Cruiser? Get any pad you want. Enthusiast? choose from millions of flavors just like ice cream. But no pad can simply be the "best". Many here buy a brand assuming the materials are the same no matter the application. And the same pad characteristics that shine at the track often give poor street manners.

OP, please investigate Stoptech pads. They are a proprietary blend that offers excellent street manners with great track capability. Just depends on what you put them on and how you want to use them.

Thanks for the info. I will check stoptech's pads and availability for my 2005 4Runner. I did check a while ago, I don't think they referenced the type of friction material they were using.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Those of us living trying to live where temps are bone numbing cold for almost half the year I prefer a semi metallic. Just installed a set on a Ford Transit Connect last week with drilled and channeled zinc platted rotors. Feel good so far in the rain compared to the OEM.

Thanks for the info. The non ceramics I'm considering are Hawk - Light Truck & SUV (LTS), they have a ferro-carbon composition. The reviews on tire rack show a majority of people complain of terrible noise and they seem to be developed for much larger vehicles (presumably which build up more heat or tow/haul) so I'm in the research phase on those.

Did you find that the ceramic pads you used previously needed a second or two of braking in the cold/wet before any useable braking was avaliable?

I use the ones from O'Reillys. I get -20 here every winter and never noticed a thing. Didn't know there was a potential issue with ceramics. I hate brake dust so I won't use anything but ceramic.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Akebono ceramics were not amazing in my eyes. Mine were FF rated and had much less bite than semi metallic. Im thinking of going back to semi metallic. I would also tend to agree with Critic..OEM semi metallics have good bite and lower dust than many others. In winter semi metallic is superior

To the best of my knowledge the factory pads for my 2005 4Runner are ceramic. The previous owner had a brake job done at Toyota years before I bought it and I can't verify which pads were used at that time so I have little bases for comparison.

They were not giving any feeling of getting anything much other than the gut feeling of will it or won't it stop. Maybe the shmuck who installed them did the job wrong. The Transit Connect is known for poor brake response so when the rig went on the rack for engine and tranny replacement it was a no brainer to upgrade. Feels so good to have a nice smooth working motor and a tranny that's shifting properly and now brakes that can stop the works if I put a load on. My summer job is helping haul energetic materials and poor brakes are not an option with driving around a major metro area.

Akebonos were aright on my M3... first couple stops in the day (cold) they lacked bite compared to OE pads. Once warmed up, they performed slightly better. The dust build-up was less noticeable, however more difficult to clean up than OE.

However I'm euro-centric (BMW & MB)... so OE pads were always great for street-use. They last long, great initial bite when cold and never squeal. However they usually dusted like crazy, but its easy to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back